elmuerte

Deus Ex 3

Second boss and HO-LY shit do I hate these boss battles.

I found frag mines and frag grenades to be my best resource in most boss battles. For most of the game I dragged big automatic weapons around in fear of the bosses -- Heavy Rifle + Combat Rifle/Laser Rifle/Machine Pistol (remember, I was playing a stealthy, non-lethal guy!) but in the end it was just a waste of inventory space, mines + grenades were what saved me (although EMP to stun + heavy rifle probably helped in the second one).

I actually only had to try the second boss once. I started loading up a heavy rifle with all the upgrades I can find and took someone's advice to get the EMP-resistant skin. Blew out her cloaking device and then unloaded two clips of heavy rifle ammo into her. Fight over. I had lost the "don't kill anyone" achievement early on in the game, so I did just recently decide to

totally Rambo out in order to save Malik.

With the exception of that one setpiece and two early kills, still have yet to murderize anyone. I like that this is a completely viable way to play the game. Hell, I can't imagine playing it as a gun-crazy dude at this point. That just wouldn't be a game I want.

Hello, my name is Adam Jensen, Office Asshole. I come in and steal your credits and candy from your desk, even when you're looking.

You start getting emails later in the game from people expressing concern about an office thief. I started following it up (breaking into offices of suspected people), and then I realized it was probably me...

I did just recently decide to

totally Rambo out in order to save Malik.

I just got Pacifist on my second playthrough (ruined it the first time in the intro sequence), including

the saving of Malik.

It may take a few tries, but quick use of gas grenades and sprinting around with a stun gun (and a few takedowns sprinkled in) can get you through non-lethally. Just be sure that sleeping enemies are clear of

the bot. EMP-ing it still causes it to explode, and it will kill anybody close enough.

I'm annoyed in that I played it the whole way through stealthily, no kills, and I didn't hear any alarms go off. I got 3 achievements (complete the game, complete it on hard, no kills) but no Alarm-free achievement. I was disappointed.

In other news, fuck me that game was good.

I just got Pacifist on my second playthrough (ruined it the first time in the intro sequence), including

the saving of Malik.

It may take a few tries, but quick use of gas grenades and sprinting around with a stun gun (and a few takedowns sprinkled in) can get you through non-lethally.

I actually did that part with the tranq. rifle, standing where I landed. And even without the aiming aid, which I had but had not discovered how to use yet.

Huh, I had to shoot everyone in the head with my pistol, otherwise she got chewed up in a few seconds.

Not sure about the DLC comments, but the rest is quite true. The worst part is probably that all quests have 2 end results, either you do what they want, or you fail the quest. Also, I think the world is less interactive.

But, nonetheless, it's still a great game.

Is there some truth to this? I still haven't picked up the game.

Not really. At least not if you are like me and turn off the object highlights as the first thing you do. I even turned off the targeting reticule.

Found no in-game mention of DLC either, though that doesn't mean there wasn't any.

Here's what I got from the video, to make sure we're talking about the same thing: If you don't buy the Augmented Edition you miss out on a lot of game-changing stuff. Missions, weapons, items... that all add to the experience, and that go beyond normal "bonuses" that don't alter gameplay.

In other words: You kind of have to buy the AE if you want to play the "full" game. (Personally I would like to be able to see objects highlighted... I don't enjoy searching for things.)

You know, I've started to appreciate DX1 more and more. Graphics have improved a lot since DX1, but other than that... gameplay, game logic? not that much.

If I look back for pinnacles of game worlds I think of DX1, System Shock 2, and Anachronox. Ion Storm was on to something.

(Personally I would like to be able to see objects highlighted... I don't enjoy searching for things.)

I'm not sure about it. It makes things easier, but it is a bit uncanny valley. Even with highlighting, there is searching involved. I think they did a good job in doing the highlighting and still make you search for things.

Also, I think, I'm not sure, that I encountered a thing that was not highlighted.

The safe behind the painting in that corrupt cop's apartment.

If I look back for pinnacles of game worlds I think of DX1, System Shock 2, and Anachronox.

What's some defining characteristics that you look for in game worlds to have these help up so high? Just curious, because we've seen some pretty amazing gameworlds in the last several years, so just curious what your criteria is.

What's some defining characteristics that you look for in game worlds to have these help up so high? Just curious, because we've seen some pretty amazing gameworlds in the last several years, so just curious what your criteria is.

It's rather unqualified realistic representation of a virtual world. The games I mentioned have a world that contains more than just the stuff relevant to the game. (I disqualified the Bethesda games because there I'm pretty much always the center of attention). But in the games I mention I had the feeling that I was passing by, and other things were going on. And in contrast to some games, in these games the "other stuff" also progressed while I was doing other stuff.

Here's what I got from the video, to make sure we're talking about the same thing: If you don't buy the Augmented Edition you miss out on a lot of game-changing stuff. Missions, weapons, items... that all add to the experience, and that go beyond normal "bonuses" that don't alter gameplay.

In other words: You kind of have to buy the AE if you want to play the "full" game. (Personally I would like to be able to see objects highlighted... I don't enjoy searching for things.)

Nope. You wouldn't miss much and the content certainly doesn't go beyond normal bonuses. From what I heard (I haven't reached the point yet) the exclusive mission is a 5 to 10 minute side quest that isn't at all essential for the "complete experience". I found most of the exclusive items useless and they won't open up completely new gameplay possibilities. I have only used the silenced sniper rifle which, I would assume, you can make yourself later on by combining a sniper rifle and a silencer.

I would still buy the Augmented edition though, because of the artbook and the soundtrack.

For what it's worth, I played through the Standard Edition and it didn't feel like anything was missing.

Is there some truth to this? I still haven't picked up the game.

For the most part, no. It looks like angry fans just being angry fans.

Highlighting interactive objects is kind of necessary when the environments are so much more detailed and cluttered than they were in the other games. I really cannot understand how this is something people are angry about. (The hardest difficulty forces off the highlights anyways.)

The game is not so directed that it doesn't feel like you're expressing freedom in how you solve problems, and it is no more of an action game than the original was. (In that, if you want, you can play it like one. The option is there to play however you want.)

Losing the original's convoluted health scheme in favor of a simple regenerating hit points system is kind of lame, but it's not exactly CoD regenerating health either, it's still slightly more involved than that.

The pre-order DLC does have a lot of game changing content though. I had commented on this earlier, it is shitty and dumb. You do miss out on extra missions that are integrated into the story, and a lot of extra items that are comprehensively integrated into the game environments.

I actually turned off object highlight and objective markers partway through, really upped the enjoyment for me. Felt nice searching around for objectives, bonus points for using x-ray vision to scout around for objectives.

All right, how the hell do I use my casie augmentation? First thing I did was spend to points on that thing, and:

• The instructions are weird and makes it seem like it's automatically used, but
  • I don't see anything special when talking to people.