elmuerte

Deus Ex 3

I will reply to everyone!

I think I'm at the point of ragequitting this game now. I was enjoying it for the first few missions, but then there was that horrible boss that took me at least twenty tries to get past, which kind of made me dread ever playing the game again.

Shit, i really don't understand what is so problematic about these bosses. My first run through the game was on the normal difficulty with a stealth-focused build. I had a pistol and a stun gun, i was completely unprepared for that boss, but it took four tries and not twenty. They're bad bosses, but i don't think they're that bad.

Somebody who had trouble with them, explain to me what was frustrating about them, what you were trying to do to beat them, and what ultimately worked. I am curious.

It's possible I should have just set it to "tell me a story" difficult because I'm a baby (I'm on the middle difficulty), but I don't care about the story, so if I'm not getting anything out of the mechanics, I don't know what would be the point of playing through the rest of it at all, other than spite.

You can change the difficulty from inside of the game at any time, and... Honestly, you probably should. I don't think there's any reason to force yourself through higher difficulties if it's making you hate the game.

There's a larger disparity between the level of internet hype (even from sources I usually agree with) and my actual enjoyment of this game than for any other game in recent memory.

It's a competent sequel to a beloved game, but now it's broken out wide and seems to have ended up being played by damn near everybody, it's bound to be that not everybody is going to love the style of gameplay or story it's emulating.

Hype backlash is in effect.

At least Alpha Protocol's bosses had the decency to glitch out and let me kill them easily. Also, Alpha Protocol, flawed as it was, was amazingly ambitious in it's adaptive story and character reputation systems. It was also kind of janky all over though, meaning that it was less out of character for the boss fights to be not-so-good. DXHR is not as ambitious, but also more polished in every regard. Which means that these utter shit boss fights are much less excusable to my mind. Not only do they stand out more due to the polish level of everything else, but I can't say "but look at this OTHER, totally mind-blowing thing that the game does", which I could say about Alpha Protocol. Don't get me wrong, moment to moment, DXHR is the better game. Somehow though, I feel like it will also be less memorable (for good and ill) than Alpha Protocol, and as a result less special.

Egggghhhhh...

I think Alpha Pro did some laudable and interesting things with its conversation mechanics and adaptive narrative, but there were a lot of really sour points. Large portions of the story had been fairly visibly gutted from the game, so a lot of story arcs just go nowhere.

It is also exceedingly easy to build yourself into a corner, and i had far more trouble with bosses in that game than i did the DX3 bosses.

Like, hey, sniper in a tower near the end of the game, except i'm not specced for any kind of long range combat. (It was never necessary!) Alright, not happy about that, but the game then also just arbitrarily decides that this boss should be invulnerable to grenades, actively negating all the points i invested into that skill path.

Egghhh...

I respect what that game tried to do, but it's really junky, clumsy, and dated.

I honestly wouldn't write off the story either though, probably the most interesting story I've come across in a game in a long time. As for the boss fights, there's only 4, so it's really a super tiny part of the game.

I don't think the last boss can really even count, it's a completely stationary foe that puts absolutely no pressure on you whatsoever.

I never found the stealth to be unfair, I actually think the stealth is really well done, bonus points for not having a "alarm trigger is game over" mission like every other stealth game in existence. I'm also kinda mental and have started my 3rd playthrough.

Have you played the other Deus Ex games? Or, for that matter, have you played Warren Spector's previous series, the Thief games? (Which, as it happens, Thief 4 will be Eidos Montreal's next project.)

If you like this kind of fluid and adaptive stealth gameplay, you have more things to check out.

Somebody who had trouble with them, explain to me what was frustrating about them, what you were trying to do to beat them, and what ultimately worked. I am curious.

Shoot them and kill them. I tried taking cover with the cover mechanic, then ultimately just went behind stuff Doom style and threw grenades at them. The first one only took a couple tries, because I guess he went next to an explodey thing, but the second one, I'd say at least ten.

Funny thing though, I dragged the dead body all the way back to the plane/helicopter/thing, I was hoping I could keep it when it loaded into detroit, no such luck, but would had been hilarious if we could.

Shoot them and kill them. I tried taking cover with the cover mechanic, then ultimately just went behind stuff Doom style and threw grenades at them.

That's pretty much how it was for me, i dunno.

Not saying the boss fights are good or bad, i just really didn't have all that much trouble with them.

Also, this is an entertaining read. (The article itself is clear about it, but to extra emphasize it, know that it talks about the end of the game. So don't be clicking over if you haven't finished the game.)

Well I'm not arguing about the difficulty of it, in the literal sense. Once I figured out to throw all grenades at them, they are really easy and if future ones are the same way, I'm sure they will be no problem.

I think elmuerte said it best though, it's frustrating because it isn't challenging. It's difficult because there's no design or logic to it. I can see the intention of the design for both bosses and the intention are two different play styles to beat them, but the execution is terrible and in no way works... resorting in me throwing all grenades at it.

For the second boss:

Taze her and then have at her with any weapon.

Third one was the hardest, I don't really have any strategy for him, since I only barely got past him.

My honest, best strategy for the bosses? Fire off a couple rounds, run, save, die, load, repeat.

My current workstation doesn't load fast enough for that. Maybe with my new workstation that arrives Friday I can resort to that way of cheating (death).

Man, I have just done the second boss fight...it sucks balls. What is the point in having a system that rewards you for being stealthy and then WHAM! you've got to get all shooty and shit.

It's especially depressing when you haven't invested any augs on dermal armour or the typhoon :tdown::tdown:

It's a great game, but has definitely been overhyped in my opinion, but then I am a bit of a dunce when it comes to these things apparently, cos' I thought FarCry 2 was crap so what do I know :erm:

It's a great game, but has definitely been overhyped in my opinion, but then I am a bit of a dunce when it comes to these things apparently, cos' I thought FarCry 2 was crap so what do I know :erm:

So basically you think it is a great game but feel that too many people think it is a great game? :)

i think it's a great game that you can fire a laundry list of annoying complaints against and it still rises above them.

it's not flawless, but it's a fantastic reminder of what games used to be, and what they can be.

Considering the state of AAA games nowadays, I think it's a miracle how good (and PC) it is! Not saying it's necessarily better than the original, just has better graphics, sound etc. The original Deus Ex was kind of an outlier (considering the breadth of systems/mechanics), and DXHR is pretty close to it.

I had a tranquilizer rifle, a pistol, a crossbow with one bolt, and a couple of grenades. First I tried taking cover, stunning him with a grenade, and shooting him in the face. That worked OK until I ran out of grenades, at which point I just tried to run around hiding behind columns and popping out to shoot him a couple of times before having to run away. If he hit me with one of his grenades or got close enough to pick me up and do his stupid animation, I was basically dead unless I was at full health (I had no health or armor upgrades whatsoever).

After a few attempts that way, I tried using the crossbow because it was supposed to do a lot of damage. I don't know if it did because I only had the one bolt and after that I just went back to my other strategy that didn't work. I tried a few different combinations of types of grenades.

By this time I was probably around 10 attempts and I gave up for a day or so and read what people were saying about it online. They recommended blowing him up with the explosive tanks, and I had a little bit of success with that, but it ended up being too risky because half the time he would shoot them while I was trying to throw them at him, killing me. I tried stunning him with a grenade, moving a tank while he was stunned, then shooting it, but by the time I positioned the tank he usually either had woken up and moved away or I hadn't put it close enough to him in the first place and nothing happened. Etc. etc.

The only way I finally was able to beat him was by grenading him, running past him to the little corner room with the shotguns and stuff, picking that up while he didn't know where I was, then going back to the grenade-then-shoot-in-the-face method (but with the shotgun) while refilling my health with copious painkillers. Even this took several tries because sometimes he would just follow me to the corner room and throw a grenade in and that would be that. So yeah, that probably put me at around 20. I suck at games.

by far the easiest way to beat him is to hit him with a gas tank, then a barrel, then a gas tank, and so on. he'll be dead by the third gas tank. the only hard part is hitting him with the first one because after that he'll be dazed and easy to hit

by far the easiest way to beat him is to hit him with a gas tank, then a barrel, then a gas tank, and so on. he'll be dead by the third gas tank. the only hard part is hitting him with the first one because after that he'll be dazed and easy to hit

I used like two grenades and a 10mm pistol...

Back in China... quick question to those already through...

Did they just kill Malik? It sounded like it, but Jensen didn't seem to say anything. Was there a way to prevent this?

edit: oh yeah... shes dead. Again, was there a way to prevent this? Seems sudden and weird.

edit 2: nevermind, quickload for the win.

Edited by Murdoc

Third one was the hardest, I don't really have any strategy for him, since I only barely got past him.

Maybe not so much a strategy as an exploitation of an AI routine:

He likes to shortcut to your location by jumping walls. Keep jumping back and forth over a wall, taking shots at him as he comes over and lands. I guess you'd need the high jump aug. It may take a while, but if you're careful, you can keep him from returning fire.

Maybe not so much a strategy as an exploitation of an AI routine:

He likes to shortcut to your location by jumping walls. Keep jumping back and forth over a wall, taking shots at him as he comes over and lands. I guess you'd need the high jump aug. It may take a while, but if you're careful, you can keep him from returning fire.

you can also exploit that by throwing frag mines where he's hopping over.

Onto another boss fight(yeah, sorry the complaining is getting old) but I think he read my tutorial on how to beat bosses because he throws an awful lot of shit at me.

Just beat that one myself a couple of nights ago. Luckily, I'd already read this thread and knew about jumping over walls and laying mines for him to land on. This game would be SO GOOD without boss fights...

Just beat that one myself a couple of nights ago. Luckily, I'd already read this thread and knew about jumping over walls and laying mines for him to land on. This game would be SO GOOD without boss fights...

Honestly, I don't have many mines or a lot of shit to throw at him. I'm kind of getting a bit bored with the game and hope it ends soon anyway, but Ill give it a couple of stabs again, if not, I think I'm done.

It was an all right game, dragging on too long and, yes, boss battles are the worst.

Honestly, I don't have many mines or a lot of shit to throw at him. I'm kind of getting a bit bored with the game and hope it ends soon anyway, but Ill give it a couple of stabs again, if not, I think I'm done.

It was an all right game, dragging on too long and, yes, boss battles are the worst.

I had like 90 mines that I took from the guy who wanted to bomb the police hq that i kept with me.

beat the 2nd boss yesterday, just used the typhoon and it was over in a few seconds. lame.