elmuerte

Deus Ex 3

So, I'm going the stealth route, trying to avoid detection and that sort of thing. Without spoiling anything, is this possible using a non-lethal approach? If I tranquilize a man, will he wake up after a couple of minutes and sound the alarm?

So, I'm going the stealth route, trying to avoid detection and that sort of thing. Without spoiling anything, is this possible using a non-lethal approach? If I tranquilize a man, will he wake up after a couple of minutes and sound the alarm?

No, usually your only worry after non-lethally disabling an enemy is that another enemy will find them and wake them up. As a result you usually have to move the body somewhere it's less likely to be stumbled over.

It is totally possible to complete almost all of the game using a stealthy, non-lethal approach. The exceptions are the aforementioned bullshit boss fights that we're all just having to live with.

Nooooot quite.

Rarely, stronger enemies will wake up on their own after a while, and the non-lethal weapons have varying degrees of effectiveness. (Stronger enemies will shrug off tranqs and peps, but the stun gun will bring down almost any enemy.)

There's also the melee and gas grenades, of course. (I don't think gas grenades make enough noise to ruin a stealth playthrough, something to keep in mind.)

There's also concussion grenades, but those only stagger enemies.

Also: Third boss done, took only two tries, spammed mines like crazy.

So definitely yes on what i was suggesting earlier, pack mines.

Nooooot quite.

Rarely, stronger enemies will wake up on their own after a while, and the non-lethal weapons have varying degrees of effectiveness. (Stronger enemies will shrug off tranqs and peps, but the stun gun will bring down almost any enemy.)

There's also the melee and gas grenades, of course. (I don't think gas grenades make enough noise to ruin a stealth playthrough, something to keep in mind.)

There's also concussion grenades, but those only stagger enemies.

Also: Third boss done, took only two tries, spammed mines like crazy.

So definitely yes on what i was suggesting earlier, pack mines.

The big guys go down with 2 tranqs I've found

If you're thinking that the AI was significantly more advanced in those older games, you're misremembering things quite a bit.

The NPC's were about the same level of dumb, and the enemies now are actually quite a bit smarter. (Multiple levels of alertness, last known position search routines, etc. Still quite dumb though, i might say.)

I remember throwing a body of out of a sky scraper in Deux Ex, and then looking out the broken window and watching all the passerbys run over and surround the body. That was pretty awesome AI.

I remember throwing a body of out of a sky scraper in Deux Ex, and then looking out the broken window and watching all the passerbys run over and surround the body. That was pretty awesome AI.

They would have gone over, looked at the body, and then start running around panicking. You would then have real trouble trying to interact with any of those NPC's if you needed to, because they're trapped in a panic state. The NPC's in Human Revolution react largely the same way, except they return to a calm state much, much more reliably.

Speaking of bad AI, i finished Human Revolution and all the enemies on the final level glitched out and seemed unable to attack me...

Egh...

They would have gone over, looked at the body, and then start running around panicking. You would then have real trouble trying to interact with any of those NPC's if you needed to, because they're trapped in a panic state. The NPC's in Human Revolution react largely the same way, except they return to a calm state much, much more reliably.

Speaking of bad AI, i finished Human Revolution and all the enemies on the final level glitched out and seemed unable to attack me...

Egh...

Might be by design.

are you talking about the lunatic civilians? As far as I know they won't do much unless you get right up on them, they do get really annoying if you let them. Straight up got killed by a couple of the crazies in the last boss fight because I didn't notice them come up behind me

Might be by design.

are you talking about the lunatic civilians? As far as I know they won't do much unless you get right up on them, they do get really annoying if you let them. Straight up got killed by a couple of the crazies in the last boss fight because I didn't notice them come up behind me

See, as i was playing, i thought that might be the case too. The thing is, they wouldn't attack me at all, even if i walked right up in their faces. After i beat the game, i reloaded a save, and they were all on my ass right away.

That made me laugh, i am happy i get that reference, heh.

Game is really just crammed full of easter eggs, i'm excited to play it again and see what else i can find.

I love how the web lets me quickly look up weird references and then pretend I got it right away.

I love how the web lets me quickly look up weird references and then pretend I got it right away.

It's ok, not everyone can be cool enough to remember the awesomeness of Demolition Man.

What's the 0451 reference to, btw? Is it the temperature doors burn, or a reference to something else?
It's a code for a keypad that opens up an armory on Liberty Island in the original Deus Ex. And it's not just a number or a reference to Fahrenheit 451. It's almost an in-game keypad convention by now, as the code for the first door in System Shock was 451, a System Shock 2 door had 45100 as a code, and Bioshock had a more or less "hidden" room with an 0451 code you had to find elsewhere.

Nerdery!

Is anyone else experiencing crashes with the PC version? They happen every 2 hours or so for me, sometimes more often. I even had a quicksave corrupted once.

Not a single one. A bit of slowdown every now and then, and one time it alt-tabbed itself away without me hitting those buttons, but I was able to switch back to it just fine.

Not a single one. A bit of slowdown every now and then, and one time it alt-tabbed itself away without me hitting those buttons, but I was able to switch back to it just fine.

same, haven't had an issue

around 50 hours on pc, constant alt+tabbing, never a single crash or game-freezing bug

in fact the only bug i saw more than once was NPCs stuck in "default pose" with their arms at their sides. is there a better term for that?

Where they've got their arms stuck out making them look like a "T"? I don't know. If not, we should come up with one.

I believe it's called a T Pose, in modeling parlance.

that's so blatantly obvious that i'm surprised i didn't think about it, and a little disappointed that it's not something more clever

Nerdery!

I remember there being some further meaning to it, and some googling tells me that it was also the office door code for Looking Glass Studios.