elmuerte

Deus Ex 3

Just reached Hengsha. Holy shit this is good shit! I have never played a game where the stealth is as rewarding and fun as in this one. I have had to repeat a couple of sections a multiple times, but I could only blame myself for it (as opposed to poor controls, cheating AI or unfair difficulty).

Other random things I enjoy about this game:

-Brand new abilities that actually let you play differently, instead of your regular minor stats boost on level-up.

-The fact that "now" doesn't always mean "whenever you are ready" (

the hostages were killed while I was in my office checking my emails

)

-Hacking a computer only to find a Nigerian bank scam email.

-Absolutely ridiculous inventory system.

We only have two seashells and one spoon (just like in that particularly nasty video).

So I finish the first mission and want to see if I can head back to explore the rooms I passed by on my way in. Turns out I can, and police officers have taken over and are securing everything, taking pictures, etc. The game lets me go all the way back to the start of the level (picking up overlooked boxes of ammo and cyberboost (fucking) proenergy)and have done all this work (including recorded dialogue) for the less than one percent of players who actually do not head straight for the chopper, when they could just as easily do what I initially expected, which was to make the elevator stop working or place a man in a doorway or something.

So I finish the first mission and want to see if I can head back to explore the rooms I passed by on my way in. Turns out I can, and police officers have taken over and are securing everything, taking pictures, etc. The game lets me go all the way back to the start of the level (picking up overlooked boxes of ammo and cyberboost (fucking) proenergy)and have done all this work (including recorded dialogue) for the less than one percent of players who actually do not head straight for the chopper, when they could just as easily do what I initially expected, which was to make the elevator stop working or place a man in a doorway or something.

Holy shit! I didn't go back, partly because I thought that's not what a real person would do, but also partly because I assumed that would not even be possible. I'm really impressed that the police is actually gathering evidence or whatever because it would have been completely forgivable if they weren't.

I was very impressed by the size and design of the police station you visit a bit later. And again, you can go everywhere.

I'm playing through the game on the "Deus Ex" difficulty right now, taking on more overtly lethal tactics, and am relatively impressed by the amount of dialogue that has changed to reflect my actions.

That's something that always really stood out about the original to me, how much incidental dialogue would change to reflect not only how you played, but what the outcomes of your actions were. I am glad to see it present in this game, even if it's not quite as pronounced.

I was very impressed by the size and design of the police station you visit a bit later. And again, you can go everywhere.

If you haven't, you should seriously consider playing through the original Deus Ex. The levels were all like that, just huge sandboxes designed as if they were real, functioning places.

If you haven't, you should seriously consider playing through the original Deus Ex. The levels were all like that, just huge sandboxes designed as if they were real, functioning places.

I haven't, but I'm afraid it would be too clunky and ugly for me to really immerse myself into it. There are many hyped games that have not reached that state yet waiting for me to play them. But perhaps, I will play it if after Human Revolution, Hard Reset and some Gibson I still have a graving for cyberpunk.

I really like the sandbox nature of the levels so far. Most games that seemingly give you choice only have two or three different routes you can take – say, the sewers or the scenic route. In Human Revolution (so far) it feels more like: "Ok, here is this giant facility. Find your way across somehow." There are a few specific routes that are more obvious and perhaps a bit easier, but those are by no means the only ways you can get through the area.

I hate that designers don't really do that anymore. I understand WHY they want a more controlled, designed experience, but I don't think they understand why you should.

the interiors like apartments, etc in DX3 may be a little copy-paste but you'd kind of expect that in real life. And I appreciated that they looked like people would actually live there.

My favorite area might have been the Montreal stage, I thought that was a perfect combination of believable real estate and designed gameplay.

I haven't, but I'm afraid it would be too clunky and ugly for me to really immerse myself into it.

It is clunky and ugly, but it was always kind of clunky and ugly. It made up for it by being really atmospheric and having

You have the three seashells at work? :fart:

Yeah we have a really futuristic working place. :shifty:

We used to use toilet like this before we took the bold step to the future, I'm not going to embed this video:

Should've put the words better in the previous post, brkl will lecture me again...

That's sounds just like the way it should always be! Freedom is greatly appreciated in games, especially FPS games.

Yeah we have a really futuristic working place. :shifty:

We used to use toilet like this before we took the bold step to the future, I'm not going to embed this video:

I feel thoroughly educated on indian fecal matters by this wise, wise man.

Finished. In just 28 hours according to Steam. I liked it that the ending depended on

just choosing between 4 buttons.

Great... I've found a quest breaking bug. One of the MCB guys managed to disappear from the visible world, so I can't take him out.

Great... I've found a quest breaking bug. One of the MCB guys managed to disappear from the visible world, so I can't take him out.

A quick google search indicates it's an issue other people have encountered as well.

Looks like some of those thugs can end up spawning all over the place, far outside of the normal map. However, if the straggler is close enough, apparently saving and reloading in that apartment after having dealt with the others can cause its AI to make it wander back to the apartment and clip in through one of the walls. Gas grenades apparently also work, if it's just on the other side of the wall.

I dunno though, I played through that quest twice now without incident, but it seems like a lot of people are having trouble with that one.

I think I'm going to start a second playthrough now. I was playing stealthy non-lethal tranq/stun guy mostly, but programmed some bots to kill enemies. Might try a ghost approach, i.e. just avoiding enemies. The lethal weapons approach doesn't interest me somewhy. I wonder if there are differences in dialogues if you don't upgrade any augs?

Do all the endings

have something after the credits or just the let-mankind-choose one

?

That happened to me. Fortunately the autosave has two files so I was able to go back to the previous save and try again

A quick google search indicates it's an issue other people have encountered as well.

Looks like some of those thugs can end up spawning all over the place, far outside of the normal map. However, if the straggler is close enough, apparently saving and reloading in that apartment after having dealt with the others can cause its AI to make it wander back to the apartment and clip in through one of the walls. Gas grenades apparently also work, if it's just on the other side of the wall.

I dunno though, I played through that quest twice now without incident, but it seems like a lot of people are having trouble with that one.

I figured out what to do. The guy is invisible or something, but can still be killed. You just need to find where he's hiding. This can be done by aiming close to the marker, if the corsshair turns red, shoot.

Do all the endings

have something after the credits or just the let-mankind-choose one

?

It's the same post-credits teaser on every ending, i think. If they make a DX3-2, there's an interesting story to be had there. Even if they don't, it still sets up the conditions necessary for DX1. (The way it finishes by playing the original theme in full had me grinning like an idiot.)

Hello, my name is Adam Jensen, Office Asshole. I come in and steal your credits and candy from your desk, even when you're looking.