Forbin

The threat of Big Dog

Jesus. I know an airliner is half flown by computers at this point anyways, but I feel like I would be pretty terrified if I had just been shot and the next thing to happen was my buddies strapped me to a drone and waved goodbye as it flew up into the air, taking me to god knows where.

Thanks. I think :)

You should also check out User 927. For reference, it starts with "human mold", and goes downhill from there (punctuated only occasionally by flowers).

DISCLAIMER: This person searches for some genuinely severely unpleasant things. If you don't want to feel bad about the world, probably don't click.

Thanks. I think :)

The Urban Aeronautics Airmule is a drone designed for evacuating battlefield casualties, but frankly, could carry 400 kilos of just about anything:

I want a quadrotor drone that I can use to pick up takeout food instead of going to restaurants myself.

Remember that time AOL accidentally released several months worth of search history for thousands of its users, which then got extensively cataloged by peeps on the internet?

This is why you shouldn't believe the "it's just meta data" lies. There's no such thing as meta data.

The drone successfully flies 95% of casualties to the nearest medical facility. The other 5% vanish mysteriously. The military considers this an acceptable tradeoff.

The other 5% fulfil amazon wish lists.

Were the 5% of troops that mysteriously disappeared after drone pickups evac'd by Petman in Valkyrie gear carrying spears? With freshly synthesized blonde tresses? Just asking.

They ran a single drone program in Liverpool for a while, then shitcanned it. IIRC, reasons were:

1. Personnel costs made it expensive to run.

2. The situations that sold it were somewhat sensational and don't often happen in everyday policing, i.e. "It could check out a dangerous area before we send officers in".

3. It mysteriously plunged into the river Mersey and was never recovered.

If anywhere fully scales a drone program up to a financially viable surveillance network, it might just turn into a revenue stream based in petty fines :(

The consequences of this will be very interesting, since the army is the US equivalent of Europe's welfare programmes in that it keeps a lot of otherwise not very employable people off the streets. If a lot of soldiers get made redundant...hm.

You're assuming that by 2030 robots won't make the rest of us "redundant" as well.

This is honestly terrifying. Militarization of police forces is such a horrifying idea. I can't believe this is actually being considered.

http://stlouis.cbslocal.com/2013/10/14/st-louis-police-pushing-for-drone-surveillance-program/

Unfortunately the practice of militarizing our police has been on an expressway for a good couple of decades now.  The amount of firepower, armor and specialized vehicles available to most metro police squads is insane. 

I'm going to visit St. Louis soon, will be curious to see what my friends there have to say about this. 

Unfortunately the practice of militarizing our police has been on an expressway for a good couple of decades now.  The amount of firepower, armor and specialized vehicles available to most metro police squads is insane. 

I'm going to visit St. Louis soon, will be curious to see what my friends there have to say about this. 

Hah, I didn't see it was St. Louis! Man, whatever. The cops are barely even here, they're so busy fighting a losing battle with the fallout from urban decay in the north (and their own corruption). Then again, they're making good money off the mass deployment of traffic cams, I can see why more automation could be seen as a positive step.