Forbin

The threat of Big Dog

That video is brilliant. It took me some time before I even began to grasp what he was talking about, in fact I thought I was being trolled for a while. Fascinating once the demos began and I got what was happening.

I think the most impressive part is how his 'robot' managed to find some ridiculously obscure bug in Super Mario Bros that I for one have never encountered, and then repeatedly exploit it for maximum efficiency. God damn robots.

I found the guy a bit annoying at first, but the idea is pretty brilliant in its simplicity (to the point that my immediate reaction was "that would never work"), and some of the behaviour it produces is great. Pausing immediately before losing Tetris is so brilliant and hilarious. It just walks away.

EDIT: Parts two and three are pretty great, too:

The behavior that the program discovers and exploits is kind of crazy. 

The craziest thing is that it exploits how the game's RNG works. Apparently, Nintendo games had an RNG based on the player's inputs, so this thing can get the power up it wants, change the way a ball bounces and such by moving around in a certain way.

Interesting, I wonder if they have any capability to adapt or if it's all pre-programmed.

Since they're just being manipulated by a field, I'm not sure they really qualify as robots. They're more like actuators for an invisible robot made of computer brain and magnetic fields.

hairless   skull

;

his word are

lies

:.

he i

s ours

It's probably talking about Jake because that's the most obvious joke to do with this.

Yesssss! Finally, the time has come! Come, my automatic overlord, my puny human skull is brittle and ripe for crushing.

In case it's not obvious, which it almost definitely is:

dmAK0Vb.jpg

Steve.gif

LUBMPQE.jpg

Jake.gif

On the Media did an entire show on AI and Robots last week.  Covers a pretty good range of topics, particularly for an audience that doesn't necessarily follow a lot of robot news.