gdf

Plug your shit

I am new to the forums but a long time listener. I just graduated and began working on a small game with two friends. The game is called PHOGS! and has you and a friend go on a double ended dog adventure, cooperating to help strange creatures and solve puzzles. You can check out the devlog over at TIGForums: https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=60202.0 as well as on twitter @bitloomgames. Here are a couple of screenshots of prototype gameplay:

5936715190b0c_ScreenShot2017-06-06at10_08_10.thumb.png.dcd532e5b1345bbcd48f8bc2049743c6.png593671168aa54_ScreenShot2017-06-06at10_06_40.png.e26ffc6e23e1c1afc4249939cadc0e3c.png

On 13/05/2017 at 7:46 PM, BigJKO said:

Nkzg9LN.png

This is just fantastic! 

56 minutes ago, jennegatron said:

i'm super into that double ended dog.

Thank you! jennegatron! 

It's super cute but also is kind of like a double-ended dong also? The screenshots are reminding me somewhat about that Genital Jousting game.

1 hour ago, osmosisch said:

It's super cute but also is kind of like a double-ended dong also? The screenshots are reminding me somewhat about that Genital Jousting game.

We have had the genital jousting comment quite frequently and i take it as a compliment! The movement and gameplay in that game is just brilliant. 

After seeing @BigJKO's Lego renders it inspired me to dig up a model of the Twin Peaks red room and see if he wanted to render it (which he did.) Which made me realise I should probably send it in to the Lego Ideas site - they made the Ghostbusters and Back to the Future models, so why not this?!

1_zpszlzzojhz.png

I got the :tdown: this afternoon - turns out Twin Peaks is a bit too racey and bloody to get approved :( Still, it looks pretty and I actually built the physical model which is cool. There are more photos on my blog if you fancy :tup:

I think your Twin Peaks scene is fantastic. Really smart use of pieces for the statue and the patterned floor. 

Don't let those stuffy Danes let you down. My only objection is your use of photobucket which forced me into at least 4 ads before I could see the full screen picture. Maybe that is why you got the :tdown: ?

12 hours ago, Fingus said:

I think your Twin Peaks scene is fantastic. Really smart use of pieces for the statue and the patterned floor. 

Don't let those stuffy Danes let you down. My only objection is your use of photobucket which forced me into at least 4 ads before I could see the full screen picture. Maybe that is why you got the :tdown: ?

Ha, sorry about that. I noticed the other day that the ads seem to have got more virulent. Any suggestions for alternatives?

I started a musical project called Black Market a few years ago as my Masters Thesis at Berklee. The loose concept is, what if an artist like David Bowie or The Beach Boys had collaborated with Lee Perry or Bob Marley in the 70s? What would David Bowie and The Wailers sound like? I find acapella versions of their most famous songs, and then re record all of the other parts myself to give them a reggae band. Essentially I make authentic dub/reggae remixes of their music. In addition, I've remixed dub versions of TV soundtracks from The X-Files, Stranger Things, The Twilight Zone and most recently Twin Peaks. All of my EPs are free! At one point I was making one a month, but that output wasnt sustainable. Twin Peaks was my 10th release and its done really well so far! I'd love some feedback. Here are a few others:

David Bowie
The Beach Boys
The Clash

I think I plugged this about everywhere else, but haven't done so here yet: The German video game magazine WASD is currently kickstarting an English version (only 2 weeks left!) and if it works, I'd be in charge of the translation. It's a print magazine for adults, full of heady essays picking apart themes and mechanics and such, you can think of them as similar to Kill Screen, except they actually pay their contributors fairly! I'm super excited about this project, both because I love the idea of more intercultural exchange in games criticism and because it's a great chance to get paid doing something I love amidst my more tedious freelancer engagements. And a chance to support quality games writing that's packaged into an incredibly well-designed magazine and then shipped right to your door.

The Kickstarter is currently trailing a bit and could use a big push to get us to the goal, so if you know anybody who would be interested in the project, your help spreading the word would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

On 9/11/2017 at 5:37 PM, nbridges said:

I started a musical project called Black Market a few years ago as my Masters Thesis at Berklee. The loose concept is, what if an artist like David Bowie or The Beach Boys had collaborated with Lee Perry or Bob Marley in the 70s? What would David Bowie and The Wailers sound like? I find acapella versions of their most famous songs, and then re record all of the other parts myself to give them a reggae band. Essentially I make authentic dub/reggae remixes of their music. In addition, I've remixed dub versions of TV soundtracks from The X-Files, Stranger Things, The Twilight Zone and most recently Twin Peaks. All of my EPs are free! At one point I was making one a month, but that output wasnt sustainable. Twin Peaks was my 10th release and its done really well so far! I'd love some feedback. Here are a few others:

David Bowie
The Beach Boys
The Clash

Haha, this is super cool, well done.

I recently got Cinema4D R19 at work, which included some very nice updates to the Voronoi Fracture tool. So I've been playing around with that, rendering some tests using Octane Render (a fantastic unbiased render)

Here's my latest test:

giphy.gif

Here it is in (30fps) video form.

I made another short video using the method of filming a bunch of shit and then seeing how to put together something watchable...

Very nice. My only suggestion would be that it might be worth tweaking the colour to match related shots together. Some shots looked a touch blue too blue to me, though that might just be my own personal preference.

Anyway, good job in finding a kind of story in this footage. It feels like a very natural progression.

Thanks.

I also had the teachers from the course I took in August give some feedback on this and they also noticed that some shots were too differently colored, among other things. Basically based on the feedback I have an idea how to make this into a better 3 minute film instead, but I think I'll just keep making new ones. I posted two in another thread:

On 06/06/2017 at 7:10 PM, jctwood said:

I am new to the forums but a long time listener. I just graduated and began working on a small game with two friends. The game is called PHOGS! and has you and a friend go on a double ended dog adventure, cooperating to help strange creatures and solve puzzles. You can check out the devlog over at TIGForums: https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=60202.0 as well as on twitter @bitloomgames. Here are a couple of screenshots of prototype gameplay:

5936715190b0c_ScreenShot2017-06-06at10_08_10.thumb.png.dcd532e5b1345bbcd48f8bc2049743c6.png593671168aa54_ScreenShot2017-06-06at10_06_40.png.e26ffc6e23e1c1afc4249939cadc0e3c.png

This is just fantastic! 

Lol wow this is so similar to the game jam thing I was just on. I jumped over to the devblog and we both have like the same solutions haha. Completely unintentional plagiarism on my part haha. I didn't do much with my game though so there will only be one two headed dog. 

Looks really great though and I'm keen play it 🙂   

Practicing sculpting in Blender again. Did an old man face (as I always do!)

DK0SuaSX0AIjyh0.jpg

and then a fun character. Here's an animation test.

giphy.gif

This is a weird thing for me, but the place where I work released a movie in the US*, and I think folks should go see it!

It's animated, but really isn't a just for kids kind of deal. I'd honestly be a little more cautious suggesting this to people with kids, as the subject matter can get intense and it does have strong allusions to off screen violence. It has been screen tested with kids but depending on you or your child's disposition you'll want to be sure that it's suitable.

It's about a little girl in Afghanistan who has her father arrested and then has to try provide for her family by pretending to be a boy. It's a beautiful film (I didn't work directly on the art so you can trust me on that!) and would really benefit from some support to show that there is an audience for films like this.

* Out in Canada at the start of December and elsewhere "soon".

Since it was published, that book has been a standard for 5th grade novel studies. The kids love it. I shall get the word out to my colleagues in Humanities.

6 hours ago, miffy495 said:

Since it was published, that book has been a standard for 5th grade novel studies. The kids love it. I shall get the word out to my colleagues in Humanities.

Oops, I forgot to say of course it's based on a book of the same name by Deborah Ellis. And thanks to you both!