gdf

Plug your shit

Argh, Oni is one of my favourite games ever. Every time I'm reminded of it I feel legitimately frustrated that nobody (to my knowledge) has attempted to replicate the formula since then. Not even on Kickstarter!! I would throw so many dollars at that (alright, not that many dollars).

Small criticism on the video, which is otherwise great - you trail off a bit towards the end of your sentences, meaning it gets quieter and then spikes back up when you begin the next sentence. Made it a bit difficult to follow in parts.

This is a total problem I have. I find it incredibly hard to make my voice not do that - that video is me actively trying to do just that! Albeit with a very sore throat.

I have wanted to make an Oni-like for years, and am actually getting to the point where I'd be fairly confident attempting something like it. Maybe after my current main project.

Thanks for the enthuse, guys!

Also, I guess as long as I'm plugging my shit, I moved my blog to Tumblr and it's a pretty good place to look at my recent shit, which is a lot to do with making levels for Unreal using Valve's Hammer editor. joewintergreendev.tumblr.com

Hey. Just wanted to let you know that there's a Winter Sale at my store, FireFlower Games. 200+ DRM-free games on sale and new deals every other day (bidaily). Let me know if you have any questions.

First time plug incoming!

I made (shot, cut, graphics-ed, etc.) this video covering Mental Health Month for South Sydney Community Aid.

It's another zero-budget project (because there aren't many other options when you're long-term unemployed). It's probably the largest project i've done solo (multiple days of events spread over a month, etc.), and i'm proud of the result (apart from the complete absence of colour grading, and the amateur audio post production). The people at SSCA seem really happy with the video as well. Judging by the past videos on their youtube page, and the reaction on their faces, I think I might have exceeded their expectations by a tiny bit.

Also was allowed free use of music by Neotropic, which is super cool! Mentioned to her that in the past I had made a 'music video' by re-cutting 'Meshes of the Afternoon' to one of her tracks, and she's very interested in seeing it, so i'll be posting that to Vimeo next week too.

Met a lot of cool people working in the community services sector when making this video, which has led to a few social work opportunities. Still unpaid, but at least it's for good causes, and not as exploitative as unpaid media work can be is.

So when I got in contact with Neotropic during the edit of my video above, I mentioned that I had re-cut 'Meshes of the Afternoon' to another one of her tracks, as a student editing experiment a few years ago.

She was pretty keen to see it, having a mutual appreciation for Maya Deren's films.

So it's finally public now:

Cheers Dewar!!! Yeah that wasn't a race we wanted to get into ;) Apart from liking the style, performance is super important to us, and going this direction has helped us keep good fps on even fairly average pc's.

Really like the way it looks. And seeing the game appear in the Steam Top Sellers list. Congrats!  :tup:

I'm going to go ahead and plug my friend's Patreon. Go check it out. It's great.

Andrew is a poet and fiction writer (MFA from the University of Florida, PhD from the University of Houston -- two incredible programs). His book of poems, City of Regret, won the Zone 3 book award,and his poetry can be seen in places such as Agni, and The Kenyon Review (as well as tons of other places), and was recently included in 2015s Best American Poetry. His fiction has been published in, likewise, a ton of places, but here are a few of his stories: The Mountain, The Rats, The Judges, and You Have Been Murdered (had to get away from titles beginning with "the"). 

If you like fiction that tends towards Sci-Fi and a little horror, and has a pervasive edge of weird and inventiveness, you should love his stuff. 

With the weekend coming up, I wanted to make an appeal to any forum members to check out the Winter Wizard Jam games. A lot of the community here put in a good effort to make games, and I'm sure they would love to have them played and get some feedback on them. Thanks!

voted!  super neat, hope works out for you!

those comments, bleh - its clearly a controller game, if you dont play with one shouldnt buy it.  

same asshats that would comment on Rocksmith saying - 1 Star, no keyboard support

Thanks friend! 

Yeah the comments section is classic Steam Community :P. It's fine though! It's better for me to just laugh at it than to get worked up over it.

I never thought I'd be posting here. I'll try to keep this short and sweet.

Early this month, after a few flirtations with the site over the years, I finally started streaming over Twitch in earnest, nightly. Thank new medication, the inspiration of watching more streams on my own time, or finally finding the right game to play in my beloved favorite, Final Fantasy VII, I've been able to maintain a regular schedule without becoming discouraged and ashamed like I do over everything else in life.

My Twitch channel is here: http://twitch.tv/smartjason

Perhaps even more importantly, and why I'm finally making this post, my YouTube channel is here. There, you can find what I'm working especially hard on, which are highlight videos of my streams. I've just uploaded the third tonight. In chronological order, these are them:

I want these to be good. I'm very, very close to them. I trust the readers of this forum to have intelligent opinions about games and comedy and the Internet and all the other elements I'm employing in this tincture that I'm coming to you to ask for your time and your brutal, honest feedback if you can spare it. I have no preference which video you watch. I don't know that

is necessarily an improvement on
. I'm still extremely nervous that the anger I made a running joke of in
wasn't funny from the start. Whatever you can offer me, I appreciate. And I want no punches pulled. Believe me, I can take it, and I've sat through enough college class crits to know how much more valuable it is to cut to the heart of the matter if you dislike something than attempt to be polite about it and bury your point in the process. I won't give up on this project because my feelings get hurt now, but I might do if weeks from now I feel like I've made no progress creatively.

Now I do I want to specify: I don't believe that brutally honest implicitly means negative. I make no guarantees, or even optimistic notions that you'll find these amusing. However, if any of do, please tell me. I am not only looking for constructive criticism here. Some affirmation would be a godsend, as well.

Thank you all. I only come here out of respect for you guys.

On Episode 232, Chris Remo read an email from me (mediumtime listener, first-time poster) in which I said I was trying to post something here, and then I never posted it. So, quite belatedly, I'm following through. Let's hear it for New Year's resolutions that are easily fulfilled! My other modest claim to Idle Thumbs fame is that I assigned the Thumbs--yes, you can assign podcasts!--to debate the best video game of all time for Medium's pop-up magazine The New York Review of Video Games, a conversation that was used in Episode 191.

To the point: I started a video game podcast in June with JJ Sutherland, a former NPR correspondent and producer (Baghdad bureau chief, among other things). I started my career as a political journalist, but I've been writing about video games for a decade at places like the New York Times, Slate, Rolling Stone, Wired, and the Wilson Quarterly. If you were ever curious about what would happen if the first blogger for NPR and the first blogger for the New York Times decided to start a podcast about video games, we're here to sate your curiosity. 

It's called "Shall We Play a Game?" We try to keep things short and focused -- about 30 minutes a show, although once or twice we've gone as long as an hour. We pick one or two games to play each week and talk about on the show. We also interview designers (Tim Schafer, Harvey Smith, Chris Delay and Mark Morris of Introversion about Prison Architect). And we interview players for a segment called "What I Play": people that we think are notable and surprising, like a literary critic, a White House correspondent, a "Tonight Show" producer, talking about what video games they play and why. 

We try to keep it PG rated--we've broken that rule twice--because I don't know of any video game podcasts that I'd be willing to listen to in the car with my kids. 

If you're on this forum, you already have refined taste in podcasts. I'd love to hear from you about what you think we're doing right and what we could do better. You can check the show out at www.shallweshow.com or at fine podcast applications everywhere. I think our best episodes are probably:

All-Star GOTY Spectacular (22 guests pick 18 games as their favorite game of the year -- this is the least like a typical episode but it's also the episode I'm proudest of)

More 'Fallout 4' & 'How to Talk About video games' (another hourlong episode; the first half is the second part of our serial Fallout 4 review, and the second half is an interview with Ian Bogost)

'Don't Starve,' 'This War of Mine' & Listener Mail (two remixed segments from early episodes, plus some new mail)

But start with whatever piques your interest. Other popular episodes are the ones on Her Story & Sunset; Everybody's Gone to the Rapture & Harvey Smith; our interview with Yahoo News White House correspondent Olivier Knox; our Soma episode; Tom Bissell defending The Order; and unsurprisingly any episode in which we discuss Metal Gear Solid V or Fallout 4.

We've put a lot of time and effort into the show and, like I said, I'd love to hear your thoughts about what's working and what needs improvement. You can post here or email me at chris at chrissuellentrop.com

Thanks for your time!

Chris Suellentrop

PS Yes, I know we need to redesign the website.

*snip*

I've been listening to Shall We Play a Game since the start and it's been consistently pretty great! Good to see you on the forums, Chris!

SmartJason makes good videos, I enjoy them when I can.

boshers voice is  amazing

will look into the shallweshow, seems interesting.

wrote this last night, want to plug this shit. Its about that dragon, cancer, steam discussions, and my own experience with cancer (my father had it)

http://bit.ly/1Nm7pOU

And for non video game writing, I did this on Medium about my first year in marketing

http://bit.ly/1JZk6o0

brutal critique welcome

After a year of monthly tracks, I've taken those tracks, polished them up, and I'm releasing them as an album. Well, 1.5 albums more like, since there were a few odd tracks out I decided to take 8 of them for the main album and release the other 4 as a free mini-album.

From Spare Parts and Parts Unknown

Please Don't Make me Leave

If you dig either of these, please consider supporting me on bandcamp and/or spreading the word to anyone you think might also enjoy them. Thanks!

SmartJason makes good videos, I enjoy them when I can.

boshers voice is  amazing

will look into the shallweshow, seems interesting.

wrote this last night, want to plug this shit. Its about that dragon, cancer, steam discussions, and my own experience with cancer (my father had it)

http://bit.ly/1Nm7pOU

And for non video game writing, I did this on Medium about my first year in marketing

http://bit.ly/1JZk6o0

brutal critique welcome

oh bless you, that's super kind thank you!! I'll give your stuff a read asap :) :)

I'm quite happy with some of my recent SpeedRunners artwork.

12640342_10153527731166461_5512432138070

This is my next draft, and I'm looking forward to getting it done:

CaI_jyZVIAAU5J7.png

Our game is about super-heroes zipping and swinging around a metropolitan city- I'm not gonna lie about it: sometimes I just use Spider-Man poses.