gdf

Plug your shit

Where exactly can we find your posts Something? I had a look but wasn't sure who you were. I don't play but I kind of find breakdown stuff quite interesting

Ah silly me, for some reason I thought I had given enough information to be able to identify me (although I suppose you could discern it from mine being the only video content on the site).

Here's my archive. I normally go by Foyfluff on the internet these days, but my account on the IdleForums is older than my invention of that name.

I feel a tiny bit bad because I haven't been posting as much lately, but I just launched a Kickstarter for my game Hypnospace Outlaw. It's a weird future-OS simulator that takes the idea of an ~information superhighway~ and builds a world around it.

Here's the KS video in youtube form: 

Hey Jay! I wouldn't worry about returning to the forums to plug, the kickstarter looks real rad. Also Dropsy was great  :tup:

Also if you haven't already please tweet this at Jake.

Hey Jay! I wouldn't worry about returning to the forums to plug, the kickstarter looks real rad. Also Dropsy was great  :tup:

Also if you haven't already please tweet this at Jake.

he already backed :D

Jay Tholen: I can not stop thinking about that game after seeing the trailer. Web 1.0! Sparkly Gifs! Cyber Sluething! The Information Super Highway! And thank you for Dropsy! So fabulous! Such an inspiration!

Also the general game concept reminds me of the MTV Liquid Television short  

. In that both stories are about detectives in a new-age sci-fi landscape.

Jay Tholen: I can not stop thinking about that game after seeing the trailer. Web 1.0! Sparkly Gifs! Cyber Sluething! The Information Super Highway! And thank you for Dropsy! So fabulous! Such an inspiration!

Also the general game concept reminds me of the MTV Liquid Television short  

. In that both stories are about detectives in a new-age sci-fi landscape.

Holy moly that is fantastic! I need to find the whole series.

Unfortunately I think it was a one-off pilot / short film.  :wacko:

Wikipedia says that it was a series! I Found 3 different episodes of Liquid TV with Brad Dharma featured. I must hunt this down.

I made a stupid thing that automatically spoils pictures from the Internet and posts them to Twitter for nobody's enjoyment but my own (a fact that is numerically measurable). It's very dumb and of no interest to anyone but me, but I'm pleased with it anyway. Here it is!

Very nice. "im c00ler_than_u" is depressingly close to the username I chose for my family's first ever ISP account. It didn't matter because nobody uses ISP email anyway, but it's still pretty embarrassing.

Experimenting/practicing face rigging in Cinema4D. Progress (and accurate depiction of my feelings while practicing) so far.

3o6ZsYBLXHa7JDnms8.gif

That looks like a perfect toothpaste mascot! "Let's make those teeth shine! / What, you use another brand?!"

So my novel is finally out! It's a novel about mountain climbing, but mostly about the media, and interpretation and the like. It has a chapter that is a little choose your own adventure story, and it's pretty damned awesome.  I'm so glad to have basically done all of the work on this badboy and to actually have it in the world. I can't say how much of a relief that is. Now I can start the next batch of hard work over the coming few years. 

http://www.kernpunktpress.com/store/p5/Mount_Fugue_by_JI_Daniels.html

My precious baby book is finally for sale on Kindle

It's about what happens when Halloween lasts a whole and when demons go viral!

It has family of demons possessing a kitten, Pomeranian, a monster fashion doll and a Casio Loopy fumbling around trying to claim their owner's soul to get stronger.

I'd be very grateful if you shared the link and spread the word.  :tup:  :eyebrow:

O84HvSe.gif

Hey all!  Long-time Idle Thumbs reader, but pretty much first-time poster here.

For over a year and a half now, myself and two colleagues have been doing a video games analysis podcast called The 1st 10 Minutes.  The spiel is that we play the first ten minutes of a video game, and then we sit down to discuss how well the game communicates itself to the player, both in terms of what the game is about, and how to play the game.

To push the spiel a bit further: whether people end up loving a game or not, everyone experiences a game's beginning; there's a high expectation placed on the audience, and first impressions are critical.  So what we aim to do with our discussions (with varying degrees of success) is less about consumer advice, and more about critical analysis.

All three of us are game developers (I've been in the biz since 2001), we did a panel at PAX Aus last year, and we also all teach game dev.

Idle Thumbs (and Tone Control) were strong inspirations when we set out on this crazy venture, and while listening to Idle Thumbs 284, we realised that we were also discussing Virginia this week.

So here's the episode, if you're interested: http://the1st10minutes.com/2016/10/15/ep-073-virginia-there-will-be-no-canape/

We've discussed a tonne of games in our back catalogue, too.

Feedback is most welcome!

Cheers,

Tony.

@Kalinskald

@the1st10minutes

P.S. We're also based in Brisbane, Australia, so if Australian accents are your jam, we've got you covered!  ;-)

Promoting a book is weird, most people won't promote you unless you get a few reviews, but how do you get your reviews without promotion?

Kindle doesn't let me gift books unless I pay for them?

To double-plug The 1st 10 Minutes, we also do developer interviews under the banner of Downloadable Context.

During the recent Melbourne International Games Week, I had a chat with Trent Kusters, Co-Founder and Director of League Of Geeks (who made Armello), Chair of the Freeplay Independent Games Festival, and Lecturer at the Victorian College of the Arts.

If that sounds like the kind of thing that floats your boat, please have a listen! 😊

You can find the interview in a few places.

My game Monumental Failure launched today on steam.

Here's the trailer:

The game has single player mode, 2-4 player split screen versus, and 2-4 player local co-op. I think co-op mode is where the game really comes alive.

Monumental Failure started it's life as my entry for Winter Wizard Jam (Wizard Jam 2), so its roots are in this community. Thanks to everyone who has been encouraging me along the way. 

That's great, well done Spenny! It looks great, like you've expanded out the original jam game really nicely.

One little pessimistic note, though: I suspect you may find your trailer comment sections overwhelmed by people hating on you for 'stealing' from Rick And Morty, due to the voiceover...