JonCole

General Video Game Deals Thread

I ended getting the the first Blackwell Conspiracy for $0.50 because I want to like point & click mysteries.
Insurgency for $8 because Architecture and Tychocelchuuu spoke positively about it and then a gameplay video seemed intriguing. I would say it was the fact that randoms in the video were saying gameplay-relevant stuff and the leaning and shooting is a mechanic I've been curious about.
I purchased The Last Express for like $2.50 because Nick Breckon said it held up, I've heard it mentioned so many times, my wife is into Agatha Christie, the art-style looked neat, I thought it may be a good game for my mom, and I want to like point & click mysteries.
I bought Vertiginous Golf for $5 because I haven't played a mini-golf game since the some game on my childhood friend's Apple II GS, the Art Deco/ steam-punk aesthetic seemed fun, they say the will eventually have 40 holes, and I recall some mention of Oculus Rift support.

I tried to play the Last Express and it's a great example of why I hate point & click mysteries. There is one way to do everything and you just end up trial & erroring your way through all the various fail-states. Man it's so frustrating to me. I think a big part of it is that player-agency is not obvious at all while the art and theme imply so much interesting freedom. Why can't I just explain why there is blood on my jacket or put the other jacket on or not pick up the body at all. I opened the door to get in the train-car, but not to get out? One might say that Spelunky is just a matter of banging your head against trial & error until you experience all the fail-states, but the player's verbs are always obvious and consistent with the world. I'm hoping Capt. Hastings gets some enjoyment out of it.
Insurgency is awesome. I've been playing tons of Titanfall and a team-oriented tactical shooter (that isn't too sniper friendly) is a great change of pace. I thought I was over these tactical shooters, but apparently not. I've already gotten an enjoyable 8 hours of play in three days. I ended up playing until 5 in the morning the first time I tried it.

I haven't loaded up the Blackwell Conspiracy. It looks old. After my Last Express experience, my hopes are low. I think I mostly bought it because it was in sale; that was probably a bad idea.

I just played my first few holes of Vertiginous Golf and I'm pleased. I can see this taking up my Banner Saga Factions slot. I always need something that I can play in 15 minute increments that I can still listen to Capt. Hastings while I play. Titanfall is too urgent for that and Spelunky takes too much concentration and 40 minutes. If you end up getting Vertiginous Golf, don't bother trying the gamepad out; the mouse controls are where it is at. I can easily see myself playing these courses over and over again for personal bests. I also imagine that I will be excited about new holes as they come out.

So far, my total's come out to $61.66, most of which was offset by a $50 gift card I've been holding onto for a few months and Steam Wallet money.

I purchased:

Payday 2 and a bunch of its DLC;

Skyrim Legendary Ed.;

Insurgency; and

Wolfenstein: The New Order

I'm tempted by both the Far Cry and Saints Row franchise packs. I'm leaning toward Saints Row just 'cause having some controller-based games to even out all the FPS titles I picked up sounds like the way to do it.

If you end up getting Vertiginous Golf, don't bother trying the gamepad out; the mouse controls are where it is at. I can easily see myself playing these courses over and over again for personal bests. I also imagine that I will be excited about new holes as they come out.

Oh I disagree. This game works great with a controller. Really precise. But then again, I play everything with a controller, so I'm somewhat biased.

I splashed out more than I thought I would this sale. Probably about £100, but that's because I got paid on Friday. Oh welp. The list is:

Goat Simulator

King of Fighters 13

Retro Game Crunch

Next Car Game

Payday 2 + DLC

Killer Is Dead

Walking Dead Season 1

Shadowrun Returns

Astebreed

Deadly Premonition

Cloudbuilt

Transistor

Mercanary Kings

Zeno Clash 2

... Huh, more than I thought. Oh well :/

I'm tempted by both the Far Cry and Saints Row franchise packs. I'm leaning toward Saints Row just 'cause having some controller-based games to even out all the FPS titles I picked up sounds like the way to do it.

I'd say that Saint's Row pack will give you more bang for your buck, especially 3. Far Cry 3 is great, but Wolfenstein is far more memorable and better, methinks.

I ended up with:

Gunpoint

Witcher 2

Scania Truck Driving Simulator

Skyrim Legendary Edition

several Euro Truck Simulator 2 paint job packs

SpaceChem

Octodad: Dadliest Catch

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons

The Blackwell Bundle

World of Subways 3: London Underground Circle Line

for a total of $43.93 (after factoring in trading card wheeling and dealing). Not too bad.

Oh I disagree. This game works great with a controller. Really precise. But then again, I play everything with a controller, so I'm somewhat biased.

The reason I say this is that I tried with the controller, but couldn't figure out how to manually adjust my shot's power and keep it at that spot until the timing is right; the power just continually goes up and down when you hold 'A' (right?). With the mouse, you just drag it back and press the button to release. 

I managed to dodge every bullet shot at me.  I almost picked up DS1 for PC and Brave New World for Civ V this morning, but decided against it since I really have no time for Civ V atm and I have Dark Souls for PS3 so it's not really worth dropping some more money on it.

I got Steamworld Dig at some point during the sale because the concept sounded all right and lots of people seem to like it. I decided to play it for about an hour today.

It's really boring. Someone tell me why it's supposed to be fun!

Because it is?  It's not terribly exciting, nor is it very difficult, but it was kind of exactly the kind of fun and charming little palette cleanser kind of game I like to fire up when I'm not in the mood for anything too serious. 

Speaking of serious games, I had clearly mentally blocked just how awful the controls in RE4 are.  Took about 2 hours before I really settled into being comfortable with them. 

The reason I say this is that I tried with the controller, but couldn't figure out how to manually adjust my shot's power and keep it at that spot until the timing is right; the power just continually goes up and down when you hold 'A' (right?). With the mouse, you just drag it back and press the button to release. 

You can manually set the power by pulling back on the right stick, and then releasing said stick to thwack. Pretty satisfying.

I managed to dodge every bullet shot at me.  I almost picked up DS1 for PC and Brave New World for Civ V this morning, but decided against it since I really have no time for Civ V atm and I have Dark Souls for PS3 so it's not really worth dropping some more money on it.

PC version of Dark Souls does have the excellent DLC, as well as various mods which makes the game run better. Although it does have GFWL. 

I didn't spend too much, but picked up a few games I've been desperate to play for a while.

DS2

Metal Gear Rising

DmC

Mount and Blade 

Should be a fun summer! Although DS2 is still a bit of a mess, I though I had the controller issue fixed but it's still a pain in the ass. I hate messing around for 30 mins before I start up the game. By the time I have the controller working I'm too pissed off to play.

Two games out of the Steam sale for me: Age of Wonders 3, which I immediately started playing and is great, and Dishonored, which I couldn't resist for 3-something Europa Shillings.

Speaking of serious games, I had clearly mentally blocked just how awful the controls in RE4 are.  Took about 2 hours before I really settled into being comfortable with them. 

Did you ever play the Wii version? Aiming with the wiimote is quick and precise, and just way more fun. In fact, I'd say the game couldn've done with a bit of a difficulty boost to compensate for this.

The reason I haven't got the PC version yet is because I love the wii version so damn much.

I set myself a limit of $20 total and no individual game over $10, which I stuck to despite being EXTREMELY tempted by Wolfenstein when it hit 50% off.  My only purchases were

Jazzpunk (gift for someone else)

Castle Crashers/BattleBlock Theater bundle

Payday 2 (and some DLC)

I got Steamworld Dig at some point during the sale because the concept sounded all right and lots of people seem to like it. I decided to play it for about an hour today.

It's really boring. Someone tell me why it's supposed to be fun!

I'm with you.  That game really didn't do anything for me.

To the wind with it, then. Gains:

BattleBlock Theatrerer / Castle Crashers bundle

Gone Home: Late To The Party Edition

SpeedRunners Early Access

Skrim: Superior on PC (Especially if Yours is Better Than Mine) Edition

Marginal Loss: The Steam Sale Game of Willpower and Resistance

So, I spent more than I had intended to ($0) but I ended up getting games that I either wanted ahead of time and was planning to buy at some point or that were so ludicrously cheap that I figured they were worth a shot. My haul:

Impulse purchases

Octodad: Dadliest Catch - gift

Risk of Rain - $2.49

Battleblock Theater + Castle Crashers - $2.49

They Bleed Pixels - $1.99

Giana Sisters: Twisted Bundle - $3.59

Fortix 2 - $0.99
Defy Gravity - $0.29
Retro/Grade - $0.99
Wizorb - $1.49
LYNE - $0.74
Ultratron - $0.99

Wanted before sale prices corrupted my judgment

Wolfenstein: The New Order - $29.99
Payday 2 - $5.99
Saints Row 4 - $4.99 (Amazon price match + promo)
South Park: The Stick of Truth - gift

So at $57.04, I got all those games cheaper than a single AAA game at full retail. I really wanted to save what I could and put money towards my next big game purchase, my PS4 + Destiny bundle, but I actually feel like I can beat most of these games in that window and get my money's worth so I don't feel too bad. It's just now I can't afford to buy anything else until that $450+ expenditure.

That's pretty much how I justify spending £50 on the sale. "I got 4 games for the price of one brand new game! Aren't I the savvy consumer." 

It makes me feel like I've beaten the system. I also will play all of them. August will be a very anti-social month for me.

Final purchase made, went ahead and grabbed Metro:LL since I had a couple of bucks in cards left over from this weekends purchases.  So that put me at 10 games for $49.75 after accounting for card sales.  And I've still got a couple of games I need to install to get their cards, so I'll have a buck or so in my Steam wallet once I get around to that. 

Spent a bit more than I originally intended, but unlike previous sales, I pretty much figure all of these are games I am going to play and none are just "Oh, it's cheap and maybe I'll get around to it someday" purchases. 

Damage Report:

Transistor

Wolfenstein

Divinity: Original Sin

Battleblock Theater

Prison Architect

Banner Saga

Rocksmith: Iron Maiden pack & Jame's Gang Funk #49

Rayman Legends

Call of Juarez: Gunslinger

WOOF. that's so much worse all written out. no control. 

Besides the games that I bought earier (State of Decay, Euro Truck 2, and Kentucky Route Zero,) I decided to bite on Divinity: Dragon Commander as I'd heard a lot about it on a few podcasts and it hit the magical $10 line. Man, it's pretty dang fun, well worth the money I paid, probably worth $20 really. I'm interested enough in the world that I snuck in at the end of the sale and bought the Divinity Anthology pack. I loves me some early 2000s rpg goodness.

• ENSLAVED: Odyssey to the West Premium Edition ROW - because I still need to play the pig dlc
  • Baldur's Gate 2 Enhanced Edition Steam Store and Retail Key - because I will probably never replay it
  • Deus Ex: The Fall - was cheap, how bad could it be be :/
  • The Dream Machine Bundle - I already had episodes 1-3, wanted to play the other 3
  • Bioshock Infinite Season Pass ROW - because raputre
  • The LEGO Movie Video game Steam Store and Retail Key - I liked most LEGO games, so why not
  • LEGO - The Hobbit- I liked LEGO games, so why not
  • Titan Quest Gold - Because it was dirt cheap, and saves me looking up disc 2m behind me (also, CD check)
  • Jazzpunk - because I wanted to try it
  • Batman Arkham Origins - because I liked the previous games, and some thumbs said this was ok
  • Batman: Arkham Origins - Season Pass
  • Planet Explorers - because it looked like maybe awesome exploring

Total damage: 76.93 euros

• Deus Ex: The Fall - was cheap, how bad could it be be :/

Apparently pretty bad? :(

• Batman: Arkham Origins - Season Pass

curious to the Mr Freeze story DLC - "Cold, Cold Heart"

anyone else have thoughts to this?

Apparently pretty bad? :(

I would say it's quite :meh: if it wasn't for the terrible bugs. Audio is constantly disappearing. Usually you can still follow the story with the subs, but they have also disappeared in a key cinematic. I now really have no idea what happened (well, except for a guy getting killed).

I did okay. I talked myself into putting Democracy 3 and Euro Truck Simulator 2 on my wishlist rather than buying them outright. What I did buy:

• Nidhogg
  • Four pieces of Total War: Rome II DLC
  • Three pieces of Europa Universalis IV DLC
  • Don't Starve: Reign of Giants DLC

I think you won the Steam sale, G!

I still spent thirty bucks, so I don't feel like a winner, but thanks. Ramen all this month to celebrate!