JonCole

General Video Game Deals Thread

I don't know why but I kind of like creating desktop shortcuts and then filing those into folders

I used to do that, but my main "gaming" machine also doubles as my wife's desktop, and she's a little compulsive about arranging the desktop, so I'm not allowed to that.  My machine has a bunch of business, database and server stuff on it, so it's not really appropriate for regular gaming (though I will use it for some co-op games). 

On deal news, it's Canada Day!  Buy Canadian games!  That list is actually pretty impressive though, a lot of good stuff has come out of our friends in the North.

Oh, I might actually bite on Starseed Pilgrim since I have some trading card money lieing around. The only other thing I'd spend it on is some dumb TF2 in game purchase or something...

Dang, new Humble Bundle -

$1 - Bioshock, XCOM: The Bureau, Darkness 2

Average ($6.20 now) - Bioshock 2, Mafia 2, Spec Ops: The Line, everything above

$20 - XCOM: Enemy Unknown, Bioshock Infinite, everything above

Pretty good deal if you somehow ended up missing all/most of these games.

Jumped in for $5.50. I never played Bioshock 2 or the Bureau and never finished Spec Ops. Curious to see what other games they'll be adding; as long as I paid above the average at the moment of sale I should unlock any subsequent games they add, correct?

ooh a bundle where I already own most of the games... except Darkness 2

I'm not sure I even want to play Mafia II or BioShock II but it's hard to pass up that deal.

Man, PC gaming forever.

YTD I've spent less than $200 and picked up enough games to keep me busy through the end of 2014.

Oh, I just now realized that I don't own The Darkness 2. I should actually jump on my own deal! I loved The Darkness, even though I played it like five years after it came out.

I liked Mafia II at the time it came out, but there have since been games that'd make it probably look worse for wear (I'm mostly thinking Sleeping Dogs and GTA5). I played Bioshock 2 relatively recently and I think I had a reverse hype reaction where I ended up liking it a lot after my expectations were deflated.

Also, I accidentally bought a PS4. It was only $360 from Buy.com via eBay. I had the Destiny bundle preordered at Amazon, but that would have come out to about $480 post-tax. Here's the link for any interested - http://www.ebay.com/itm/301233853610

I'm gonna guess they throw in Borderlands before the end of the bundle...what else would 2K add? A Civilization game?

They could throw in some kind of GTA4 bundle (game/game + eps/eps.), Max Payne 3, Civ V (or even Civ IV complete).

Is the Mafia II developer still around? That game came out quite a while ago and I don't remember them putting out or even showing another game.

What if bundling is not Rockstar's thing, what else could they really add? Civ V, Borderlands GOTY, PB Winterbottom? An MLB or NBA?

(2K Czech did Top Spin 4 and then worked on GTA V for a few years. Hopefully they're repurposing the Rage engine for a Mafia III...)

I'm not sure I even want to play Mafia II or BioShock II but it's hard to pass up that deal.

You want to play Minerva's Den, though! I know you don't need GFWL anymore to play it, I forget if it's now just part of the game on PC.

Oh, I just now realized that I don't own The Darkness 2. I should actually jump on my own deal! I loved The Darkness, even though I played it like five years after it came out.

i got in on The Darkness 2 at release on ps3 and found it to be one of the most uninteresting shooters i've played in years. at least on ps3 it looked like garbage, weird difficulty spikes, and generally awful writing/characters; i played it through...but never picked up again

You want to play Minerva's Den, though! I know you don't need GFWL anymore to play it, I forget if it's now just part of the game on PC.

Yeah, I'm buying this purely for Bioshock 2 so that I can pick up Minerva's Den at some point.  I also almost bought The Bureau for $4 during the Summer Sale, so this overall looks like a great deal. 

Yeah, I'm buying this purely for Bioshock 2 so that I can pick up Minerva's Den at some point. I also almost bought The Bureau for $4 during the Summer Sale, so this overall looks like a great deal.

I know I am a tiny minority here but I actually liked Bioshock 2 best out of the three.

I know I am a tiny minority here but I actually liked Bioshock 2 best out of the three.

I'm not sure I gave that game a fair shake.  I wasn't really in the mood for it when I played it, but my daughter got it for me for my birthday so I felt obligated to play it.  I'd be curious to at least go back and start it up again to see what I think. 

Not to derail a ton further but honestly the controls and level design felt best to me in that game. Most people who hated it probably were looking for another mind blowing story (which it doesn't have) but I honestly thought the original Bioshock's story was just-ok so I was willing to trade it away for controls and levels that I personally enjoyed more.

Ps By level design I actually mostly mean size, original Bioshock the levels all felt like 20% too small for some reason