JonCole

General Video Game Deals Thread

I'm stupidly proud of my self control this Steam Sale, which might be a pathetic thing to be proud about but that's fine.

Before hand I made a short list of ~15 games that I might consider buying, and almost all of them appeared in a daily sale. However, I only actually bought two:

• Papers Please
  • Bioshock Infinite DLC Season Pass

I also got Brothers as a gift. 

Total damage: 13 dollars. An important change in my thinking this year was to start considering my free game-playing time as a precious commodity as important to conserve as money

My Steam backlog is still in a state of ruin from the last few years of Steam Sales, so two purchases might still be too many.

Because it is?  It's not terribly exciting, nor is it very difficult, but it was kind of exactly the kind of fun and charming little palette cleanser kind of game I like to fire up when I'm not in the mood for anything too serious. 

I'm with you.  That game really didn't do anything for me.

I actually just finished the game. I liked it a lot more after putting it down and then picking it back up. Game's a lot of fun, but like the calm, not too stressful kind of fun, as Bjorn said. I think that's what threw me off. I play so many Hard Platformers (whether action or puzzle based) that playing something not all that challenging felt like it wasn't enough. WELL SOMETIMES IT IS!

In fact I liked it so much I'm thinking about making it more stressful by going for the Master Prospector achievement (beat it in under 2.5 hours with no deaths, 20000 money earned, and 150 orbs). Buuut I don't know if I'll do that right now. Maybe later, if ever.

I honestly don't get that game.  I played it on my 3DS.  I beat it.  Then I immediately forgot about it.  Not saying it's bad, but I didn't find it compelling in any way.  It was the very definition of "okay" for me.  Didn't do anything wrong, but it didn't do anything memorable either.  I'm probably in the minority when I say this, which is fine.

Yeah you basically suck as a human being. Be ashamed!

I don't know if there is anything special about it. It's just a game where you dig and get money which you turn around to help you dig and get money. It's also really short which helps considerably in making it not drag on.

I don't even remember buying half of these:

Far Cry 3 - Blood Dragon  

ENSLAVED: Odyssey to the West Premium Edition ROW  

The Walking Dead Season 2

Rocksmith 2014  

Planetary Annihilation Early Access  

Final Fantasy VIII  

Saints Row IV  

Silent Storm Gold Edition  

South Park: The Stick of Truth  

Age of Wonders III  

Creeper World 3: Arc Eternal  

Shadowrun Returns  

Baldur's Gate 2 Enhanced Edition Steam Store and Retail Key  

Payday 2  

Nearly €140 damage. Eek.

Yeah you basically suck as a human being. Be ashamed!

I don't know if there is anything special about it. It's just a game where you dig and get money which you turn around to help you dig and get money. It's also really short which helps considerably in making it not drag on.

I am full of shame!  Well, I'm full of something at any rate.

Being a Raptr member actually got me something for once - I used 300 of their points (don't really know how I got them, maybe from playing games while having the app installed on my PC?) to get a 10% off coupon for the Astro Gaming website. Just picked up a Astro A30 PC headset, which should be nice for both my PC and PS4. Well, of course granted I actually understand how the PS4 controller's audio port works, accepting any four pole mobile-style headset and using it for game audio and chat.

Not exactly related to deals, but does anyone try to actually organize their Steam library with custom categories?  I've made a couple of aborted attempts at it in the past, but I'm terrible at organization and categorization, so I've always given up. 

This time, instead of trying to organize everything, I'm just making "high priority" categories of games I want to play, games my wife wants to play and co-op games, so that there's always a dozen or so games in each category, and I don't have to sift/scroll through hundreds of games to remember what I might want to play. 

Yeah, that's basically what I do. I have favorites for stuff I'm either currently playing or plan on playing soon. I have "Cards Enabled" for games I should prioritize at a second tier below favorites because once I get all the cards I'm eligible for free booster packs (just got one today!). I have a "Completed" for games I've beaten and will likely never play again. That's it.

My two categories consist of the favorites list (ie games I am currently or frequently play) and everything else.  My friends list on the other hand has several categories, mostly grouped by how I am familiar with said person.

my library is bulk "unorganized"

but as i play i move them to the following -

Finished

Lan Party

"crap" - steam betas, humble bundle swill, games i'll never play again

and i use their "Favorites" tag to keep my most played games up-top; dota, isaac, tf2, RoR, space marine, etc.

unfortunately, much like the friends list categorizer, the interface is clunky and takes patience to move.

My two categories consist of the favorites list (ie games I am currently or frequently play) and everything else.  My friends list on the other hand has several categories, mostly grouped by how I am familiar with said person.

i also use tags on the friends list to keep track of people who constantly re-do their names/avatars.  If I've met them through Dota i also have to leave a tag to remember the game, eg "no blink mags" 

I categorize things mostly by installing everything that is on my "still to beat list" and uninstalling most everything I've completed. Everytime I buy a game, I immediately install it, and I keep my view set to "Installed Games."

I recently found out that you can sort your library by game size, so I've also been using that view often when figuring out what to play next because my HDD is 20GB shy of full.

I categorize things mostly by installing everything that is on my "still to beat list" and uninstalling most everything I've completed. Everytime I buy a game, I immediately install it, and I keep my view set to "Installed Games."

I tried that for awhile, but I have abysmal internet speeds and big games can take a day or more to download and it kills the ability to do shit else on the Internet (and I never leave my computers running overnight).   So I don't keep nearly as many things installed as I would like to. 

I've actually got a pretty fuckin' strict categorization system going on for my hundreds-large Steam library.

It's disgusting.

I have categories for each genre for games I haven't beaten yet.

Then I have categories for betas (early access and the like), prototypes (basically the Amnesia Fortnight stuff), multiplayer, high score chase arcadey stuff i'm likely to randomly pick up every now and then.

Then I have two categories for games I'm done with: beaten and FUCK THOSE SHITTY FUCKING GAMES.

As time goes on I'm more and more willing to toss games in that last category. The first game to go there was Gish, a long time ago. The second one was Bad Rats - even though I Hate Beat that game. That's right, I fucking despised that game so much I fucking destroyed it. I got all of the achievements out of SPITE. I have a problem. SHUT UP. FUCK BAD RATS.

I also have categories for non-games (movies/apps), and weird beta for games I already own (dota 2, l4d2), and mac versions of games I own that have their own separate entry for some reason. Oh and a category for games I beat but I'm waiting for updates for DLC or new episodes or whatever.

I used Steam Depressurizer to do all this one day when I was super bored. https://code.google.com/p/depressurizer/

I wish Steam would let me browse my library by the user created tags from the store. Would be great to just go "show me all local co-op games", for example.

i also use tags on the friends list to keep track of people who constantly re-do their names/avatars.  If I've met them through Dota i also have to leave a tag to remember the game, eg "no blink mags" 

The ability to give people nicknames is something I'm really thankful for, especially around Halloween/Christmas when everyone becomes "Spooky" this or "Xmas" that.

I used Steam Depressurizer to do all this one day when I was super bored. https://code.google.com/p/depressurizer/

I wish Steam would let me browse my library by the user created tags from the store. Would be great to just go "show me all local co-op games", for example.

I had run across depressurizer once and thought about trying it.  So it makes it easier to get the job done?

I would kill to be able to quickly sort what I own by co-op, since it's one of the most common searches I do. 

It makes it immensely easier to get the job done, yes. You can categorize more than one game at a time. That alone is a fucking godsend compared to Steam's atrocious method.

Oh my god I see this literally hours after I finish re-organizing like 250 games after I lost a steam library. I'm going to explode. I'm literally going to explode. Depressurizer is the right name.

Edit: Real great new page. Just gets better.

Depressurizer also helps makes it easier to back up your categories (I've lost mine a couple times, both before I found this program, so I feel your pain). I mean you could just find the folder and back it up yourself, but with this you can just click a button.

I've categorized my games as:

- completed

- quited

- unfinished

- unfinished puzzle

- (the rest)

unfinished puzzle are puzzle games which I haven't finished, and games which don't really have an end.

I previously had a fairly complex category system that I'd developed sort of organically over the years, with most things grouped by (fairly specific) genre and things I find myself going back to grouped by "How it feels/what I'm looking for". The only ones I remember in specific are the opposing "FPS power fantasy" and "FPS Realistic" categories, with stuff like counterstrike: go, L4D 1-2 and COD in the first group and things like the STALKER, Arma and Operation Flashpoint games in the second. I would frequently bounce between the two categories to keep frustration down during particularly rough times in "Realistic" games. I also had a "garbage pile" for things that were either terrible or that I had no interest in but acquired in bundles or whatever.

Now I just have broad genres, with just a "Favorites" for stuff I play frequently.