General Video Game Deals Thread

So far I have bought:

SteamWorld Dig
Rayman Legends    
Risk of Rain    
BattleBlock Theater    
The Wolf Among Us
Shadowrun Returns

Which is a couple of more games than I intended on buying, but I feel like they're all games that are super high on my list of things I want to plus, plus 2 local co-op games, which I can never have enough of.  I'm not sure if I'll buy anything else or not.  There are a couple of temptations, like buying RE4 HD or State of Decay, but neither are something I need to buy right now.

I have many friends that are complaining about how the Steam sales just aren't as good anymore, which I personally think is silly. It doesn't seem that good because you've already bought a ton of games in past sales!

I'm fairly sure the deep discounts only come from the flash sales, when the first few sales had static discount prices. The first few sales also had moderate discounts for AAA titles, but indie titles, in the days when indies were first being taken seriously by the enthusiast press, had particularly deep discounts. You could spend a few bucks on a title you hadn't heard about that was just as good, if not better, than what AAA games were doing at the time, which made the Steam sales feel particularly special. They haven't been that for a while, but they've been okay so the cognitive dissonance hasn't caused a backlash yet.

I'm convinced that people who dislike the cards put more effort into learning about the ways they hate them than people who like the cards put effort into just passively enjoying them.

^ Nope.

You must not have read this thread, then.

It's just symptomatic of this community, where people tend to put at least some effort into explaining their opinions. Seems a good thing to me.

I bought Euro Truck Simulator 2

Yes! I got 50 hours out of this behemoth, before an update conflicted with some mods I had installed and I decided to uninstall. I'd usually find a nice, long drive (preferably in Germany), tune the radio into BBC R6 - which required tweaking an ini file - and then just cruise around happily for an hour or so. Bliss. Getting stuck in traffic is just as annoying in game as it is in real life, tho.

It's just symptomatic of this community, where people tend to put at least some effort into explaining their opinions. Seems a good thing to me.

We all think and talk too much. Another symptom of this community. Too much talk, not enough playing games. I should stop posting and play Mario.

Hahaha, love Richard Cobbett

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-06-28-the-sickening-side-of-the-steam-summer-sale

"There are, I'm sure, people who are able to play just one at a time, but for most of us this is the easiest way to sap each individual game of much of its flavour. Like eating a whole box of Quality Street at once, they all mulch together into one gooey mess. The slightest moment of irritation is a reason to jump ship to another game, finishing becomes about feeling able to move on instead of soaking in all of the goodness each has to offer, and even in the best times, the games not being played still cast their tantalising shadow over proceedings. "Play me insteaaaaaadd," they whisper. "We will give you trading caaaaaaaards and for some completely inexplicable reason you're statistically likely to caaaaaaare."'

Wolfenstein's $30 today for those that waited.

I am so glad I waited.

I saw the new deals today and came here immediately because I know you'd be happy. All's well that ends well!

still

no

dark

souls

blargh

I'm trying to complete what is probably my last Summer Sale badge. I know some of you guys are participating and may be willing to do some trading. I need cards 1, 2, 3, and 10 and I have extras of 4, 7, and 9. If anyone is interested in doing some 1:1 card trading, my Steam account name is jonac13 (if you don't have me added yet) and my profile name is Thumbs [Jon] (if you confuse me with the like 10 other Jons on this forum).

I don't know if I have any of those but if I do offer and I will accept in a couple hours. (Same name as here)

Edit: sorry, just checked and I have none of those :/

Yeah, I'm done with buying stuff and I need a lot of cards to trade, since the voting for flash sales for over I assume when this one is over we'll go directly to the encore?

Anyway, I have a ton of #10 among other and I need #6 and #8 and I'm going to try to craft as many as I can before the day is over, I don't really care if my team wins...

So we are to the Encore.  I've added RE4, Transistor and One Way Heroics (a whopping $0.87 for a game I thought might be neat) to my haul. 

Now I'll have to debate on buying State of Decay, Walking Dead S2 and Metro: LL, which are the only ones I thought about and didn't buy during daily/flash sales during the sale. 

Also, you will all be remembered.  Never forget.

We’ve reached the end of the board and the end of the sale. Winners or losers, each team will be remembered for their unique contributions to the melee. Everyone who participated by joining a team will be awarded a team badge.

red team wins

peace

I bought Dark Souls II. WELP.

I still haven't beaten DS1, so I'm going to hold off of DS2 even though I want to buy it so bad.

This was my first Steam sale and it was great. Dropped around $70 and got things I have wanted for awhile; stuff to try out; and favorites I am likely to want to replay at some point. Overall I was super jazzed about this thing and felt like I got a lot of value.

edit: SpeedRunners. Thinking about getting it before the sale finishes on the grounds that I'm already interested and 1) one of my mates, who maintains high standards when it comes to making game recommendations, says it's actually really good already, and 2) what with it being Early Access, I'm imagining that 40% off now is quite possibly cheaper than what 40% off in December might be.

On the other hand, 1) if it had got a daily, flash, or community sale it would have been 70% off, 2) I could get Skyrim to play it in my native language and on PC, and 3) I could then rationalize adding Brothers for not much more than SpeedRunners on its own would be.

What would you do?

So I broke down, but did not spend more than $20. In fact, my grand total for this sale came out to about $17.

I got...
Portal 2.
Dark Souls 1.
Roller Coaster Tycoon 2.
Fallout: New Vegas.

I ended with a list of 4 games,

Dark Souls, Fear, 2 Brothers and then since I realised I really hadn't spent that much in the sale I shelled out for Transistor.

I actually bought more on GoG's sale despite the trading cards incentive.

I got Steamworld Dig at some point during the sale because the concept sounded all right and lots of people seem to like it. I decided to play it for about an hour today.

It's really boring. Someone tell me why it's supposed to be fun!