JonCole

General Video Game Deals Thread

Yeah, Bioshock 2 is really quite good. I don't know if I'd call it the best Bioshock, but I do think I like it more than Infinite. Unfortunately, the best part of the game comes at the very end and not a lot of people got to see it.

I had a decent amount of fun with Bioshock 2. It might have been due to being the only FPS I had on my XBox at the time, so it might just have been filling a gaming niche for me at the time, but I had fun.

And then after I finished it I got right plastered and played the multiplayer online for hours. I had a ton of fun with it, even though I sucked. I kept playing until my head became too heavy to keep off of the coffee table in front of me (and I still played a few rounds sprawled on the floor, only looking at the game occasionally. I'm pretty sure at that point I was the worst person to ever play that game online.)

I knew holding out in the Steam sale was a good choice. Bought in at the $20 tier, only game I had on Steam before was Bioshock the first. Most excited to finally play X-Com.  :tup:

I was going to ask whether Bioshock 2 would work for me if I got tired early of Bioshock 1 but then I realised I already own it.

#SteamSaleFugueState

I knew holding out in the Steam sale was a good choice. Bought in at the $20 tier, only game I had on Steam before was Bioshock the first. Most excited to finally play X-Com.  :tup:

You're in for an absolute treat. 

Yeah, I'm buying this purely for Bioshock 2 so that I can pick up Minerva's Den at some point.  I also almost bought The Bureau for $4 during the Summer Sale, so this overall looks like a great deal. 

You're in for an absolute treat too then! Minerva's Den has been part of the Steam package ever since the migration over from GFWL.

I was afflicted with loads of crashing bugs and graphical glitches when I played Bioshock 2 last year. My girlfriend swears that it's the best one, so I'd like to sort it out somehow and dive back in.

I'm not sure if this is an error on steam/Daedalic's part, or whether I have got this ludicrous deal because I already own all three games, but Deponia: The Complete Journey is 90% off on steam right now (£3). http://store.steampowered.com/app/292910/

I really really really loved this game. it's a funny, heartwarming and original setting that i completely digged, and when I finished it, I wanted more.

Yeah you get 30% off for each previous Deponia that you own on Steam. Pretty good if you want to play it and have a friend with access to the discount!

Not me me! :'(

Well I guess that explains why my Googling for workarounds didn't get too far.

Do you have the newest GFWL client? http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/pc/DownloadClient

I had quite a few fights with this installing it for Dark Souls for a friend fairly recently if you'd like help troubleshooting. If you don't care I can certainly understand that too :)

Yeah you get 30% off for each previous Deponia that you own on Steam. Pretty good if you want to play it and have a friend with access to the discount!

Ahhh that explains it. Thanks :D

Also, another deal - Ys Origins is 75% off on steam. http://store.steampowered.com/app/207350/

I really liked this game, it's a great addition to the lesser-known Ys Series, and everyone should check it out.

I just bought XCOM - Enemy Unknown for a paltry £3 from a site I'd never heard of before called "Game Keys Now". They make a big deal on their website about how they are actually legit, which sent up red flags, but I looked around and all seemed okay so gave it a punt. And, it all worked fine! 

Here's a savygamer link 

http://savygamer.co.uk/2014/07/09/xcom-enemy-unknown-pcmaclinux-2-99/

And I think it's $5 if you're in the US. Also, a big thanks to Griddlelol who offered to gift it to me a few days ago. I felt a bit cheeky so declined (tho I hadn't begged him, honest!)

A lot of those websites (including the one with the Dark Souls 2 deal I posted earlier) are pretty grey market. Generally, the basic idea is that regional pricing allows for cheap keys to get out to markets with less sensitive pricing. Risks include:

1. a publisher not being happy that tons of keys got sold cross-regionally and blacklisting the Steam keys, at which point you'd have to try to get the key seller to be accountable. Doesn't happen very often, but definitely possible.

2. a seller that uses retail keys deciding to use the "my account was stolen" method, where they use their retail purchase of the game you bought the key for as proof of their ownership of your account. Happens somewhat often, though generally through eBay or more obviously unreputable sellers.

In either case, it's not likely that you'll get in trouble and the more likely punishment is that that individual game's key is revoked.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of those sites are also laundering credit card theft money.

You're in for an absolute treat too then! Minerva's Den has been part of the Steam package ever since the migration over from GFWL.

Minerva's Den was given to everyone who had a copy registered to GFWL when it switched to Steam, but if you got it after that you have to pick it up separately. 

Oh you're right, apologies Bjorn. It was free to owners coming over from GfWL and all existing owners on Steam at the time of the transfer.

(It was the first two Batman Arkham games that permanently transformed into GOTY packages upon the GfWL switch.)

I feel baselessly scandalized for things being not quite as overgenerous as imagined. Thanks for the correction Busby.

No worries, when I bought it I was assuming I would have to buy Minerva's Den at some point.  I just stuck it into the wishlist and will wait for it to go on sale one of these days, not in a particular rush to get to it. 

Namco are having a deal on the PSN store. From their facebook page:

We have a ton of games on sale as part of the "Big in Japan Sale" on the PSN store! Only one week left so don't miss out!

PS3
Saint Seiya - Brave Soldiers - Was €54,99, Now €19,99
Tales of Xillia - Discovery Edition - Was €44,99, Now €14,99
Tales of Xillia - Was €34,99, Now €9,99
Tales of Graces f - Was €29,99, Now €9,99
Tales of Symphonia - Was €19,99, Now €9,99
Tales of Symphonia - Dawn of the New World - Was €19,99, Now €4,99
Soulcalibur II HD Online - Was €19,99, Now €9,99
Demon's Souls - Was €19,99, Now €4,99
Namco Fighter Collection - Was €29,99, Now €14,99
Ni No Kuni - Was €19,99, Now €4,99
Tekken Tag Tournament 2 Online Pass - Was €9,99, Now €3,99

PS Vita
Shinobido 2 - Revenge of Zen - Was €14,99, Now €4,99
Shinobido 2 - Revenge of Zen - DLC - Was €2,99, Now €0,99
Touch My Katamari - Was €19,99, Now €6,99
Earth Defense Force 2017 Portable - Was €29,99, Now €9,99

Pretty decent? Demon's souls for €5 is a deal.

EDF Vita for 10! I hope this sale exists in North America so I can capitalize. Fucking love EDF.

Target has a 15% coupon on electronics going around - including ps, Xbox and wii.

I'm so tempted to get on the Mario kart wagon if I hadn't bought a car yesterday

It's through their cartwheel app and expires tomorrow. People are cashing in on ps and Xbox gift cards at reduced price to use online. Probably would work for steam gcs too

I'm so tempted to get on the Mario kart wagon if I hadn't bought a car yesterday

At first glance I thought you wanted to buy a game called Mario Kart Wagon.

At first glance I thought you wanted to buy a game called Mario Kart Wagon.

Mario Kart Wagon is a Mario Kart spin off game inspired by Oregon Trail, but since it's Nintendo it plays like Mario Kart mixed with Mario Party.

interesting, i suppose it is written awkwardly.  

either way, im extremely torn about making a poorly timed purchase VS my 10yr old self screaming "mario kart!!!"

Target has a 15% coupon on electronics going around - including ps, Xbox and wii.

It's through their cartwheel app and expires tomorrow. People are cashing in on ps and Xbox gift cards at reduced price to use online. Probably would work for steam gcs too

Hmm, this combined with the XBL discount for upgrading would be pretty tempting. Too bad I missed it already. That and I never checked to see if I even got the XBL discount.