gdf

Life

A couple days later and I still haven't passed this goddamn kidney stone. CT scan showed that it's a 4mm stone and they ended up sending me home from the hospital after a couple hours with prescriptions for percocet and flomax. I've barely eaten 2 meals over the last 2 days and the blockage in my kidney is bad enough that if I drink too much water at one time, I end up puking it all up. I'm nauseous as hell and in constant pain and to make matters worse, I'm at work right now trying to get some stuff done that I can't put off any longer.

This is one of those times where life really sucks balls.

I hope this doesn't make it worse, Zeus, but my only experience with kidney stones is this horrific scene from Deadwood:

In other circumstances, it would probably be somewhat flattering to be compared to Al Swearengen in my head.

Yay work things. We have a software deployment (Office 365 if anyone is curious) that's supposedly due by the end of the month. We had a project meeting today where everyone pretty much agreed that we weren't going to be ready in time. However, my manager's manager (who was my manager for a while until we found a replacement for that position) insists that she won't make the go/no-go call yet, and we should try our best to be ready for the deployment next week. My manager is out on tomorrow, leaving me in charge of our end of this crappy project.

I'm tempted, just to spite everyone, to say no one goes home on Friday until we're ready to deploy. I realize that it's more out of spite than anything, and that no one will really care if we miss the deadline, but I'm following the letter of the law when she says to try our best if I don't let anyone leave until we're ready right?

*Please note that I've had a couple of drinks and don't intend on actually making us all suffer for some arbitrary deadline, but it's nice to talk about it anyway.

"He woke up with the monkey, but it's not my circus."

Am I doing it right?

"He stole the monkey... and he's not giving it back."

Anyhow, I just got caught up since May of this thread. Lots of life goings on!

Congrats on being more comfortable being alone, I_smell! I have the inverse problem where I clam up when I'm around with more than 1 new person, so I can relate a bit.

Sympathies on the kidney stone, Zeus. Hopefully it passes soon.

Keep on living, ya'll!

The Swedish and Finnish idioms are nuts. I don't think we have many ridiculous ones in common use in Estonia.

"It is here the dog is buried" - "siia ongi koer maetud". (Seems unlike Finns/Swedes) we mostly use it at the "aha" moment when we've already found the catch.

So you guys may or may not remember that I've been living off of insurance money for a year or so, after having a nervous breakdown at my job last winter. My insurance company has offered me some new options: I can continue to receive my monthly payments and get access to some kind of resume-building stuff to help me find eventual employment (which I have to pay for myself), or I can accept a non-taxable $14400 settlement and officially resign. The catch for the settlement is that I'm required to have legal counsel and I'll naturally lose all of the admittedly fantastic medical benefits that I had through my job. It's tempting, especially since my biggest problem has always been that I never have enough money and it'd be nice to have a nest egg, but legal counsel sounds expensive and I know it's gonna hurt to have to pay full price for all of the medication and therapy I go through.

EDIT: I should mention that the settlement is actually slightly more than I would get if I kept getting payments until August 2015 when they run out.

Does Canada/whatever province you're in have grant-based legal aid services? Here where I live in the US, there is an income-sensitive organization of lawyers funded by grant money that specifically focuses on low-income legal issues like employment, taxes, fair housing, family law, etc. I feel like they'd almost certainly help with a case like the one you describe if you were here instead of there.

So... I lost my job. Yay, game industry!

Sympathies. Being jobless is disheartening.

What part of the industry do you work in?

Thanks.

I was in-studio Quality Assurance, which I guess isn't the most secure position. Was just starting to transition over to design though which makes this outcome quite the bummer...   

So, this weird thing happened today.

I was in the city center today and a guy approached me with the usual meta question I hate ("can I ask you a question?"). He told me that is hobby was making pictures of men with beards and mustaches, and asked if he could take a picture of me.

Did you immediately strip to your skivvies and pose?

Nope. I don't like strangers taking pictures of me.

I assumed he was lying since he could have gotten plenty of that from stock photo websites. I guess it depends on what was intended by "making" pictures. I assumed painting.

No, that's a translation problem, he implied photos. He may have been hitting on me, but given the fact that it was only a few seconds he could have seen me before approach I doubt it.

It's not the first time something weird like this happend to me. About a year ago I sat opposite from 2 american girls in the train back home. They were extremely religious, and I was wearing a Nakatomi Plaza t-shirt. I actually had to explain to them that it was a t-shirt from a movie, and that I was not from LA. Their Dutch was quite good given the fact they were in the Netherlands for only 6 months.

Maybe he's trying to do his own Humans of New York, except it's Humans of Beard.

Watching TV yesterday, I saw a commercial by Microsoft comparing their voice recognition helper app against Siri, showing all the things it can do that Siri can't.

IT IS NAMED CORTANA.

Personally my biggest problem with Siri was always that she didn't have enormous naked breasts.

Personally my biggest problem with Siri was always that she didn't have enormous naked breasts.

Microsoft announces now that you too can have your own hand-held stripper!

I always wondered how many non-gamers were extremely confused when they announced it would be called Cortana.

I have to assume they do not care at all and it's the same if it had been called Lisa.

Why is it called Siri? I honestly don't know.

vvv Right, it's the people who know but don't care that would either be weirded out or confused. Someone completely in the dark wouldn't be confused. It's a thing with a name like Siri is.