gdf

Life

Give him a good send off. Not an easy thing, but best for him:/

That's awful, subbes. You'll all be in my thoughts as well.

I can't offer anything but my sympathies and support.  Just remember Cabot will still be with you where it counts.

Do not stand at my grave and weep.
I am not there, I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow,
I am the diamond glints on snow.
I am the sunlight on ripened grain,
I am the gentle autumn's rain.
When you awaken in the morning's hush,
I am the swift uplifting rush
of quiet birds in circled flight.
I am the stars that shine at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry,
I am not there, I did not die...

--Mary Frye

I am not a religious person. I don't have any kind of beliefs whatsoever regarding an afterlife or a cosmic anything. Regardless of this, I found myself today saying a brief "Hey, take care of Cabot, Subbes, and Shammack today" to no one in particular. Deepest sympathies, guys.

Cabot has gone.  It was hard.  We are all very sad.  I appreciate the thoughts you have spared for us.  Thank you.

He's being reincarnated as a big powerful orange tiger who can bring down birds with one sweep of his powerful paw and can chill happily in the wild.

He's being reincarnated as a big powerful orange tiger who can bring down birds with one sweep of his powerful paw and can chill happily in the wild.

so basically, the Lion King.

I was up until six this morning finishing up midterm grades for my boss. It was tough, some kids that should be passing aren't right now because how I'm grading participation, but whatever, I got it done and twelve hours before the deadline, so I'm a goddamn hero in my book.

And of course, I slept nine hours before being woken up by an email from my boss telling me thanks for nothing because my grades were submitted in numerical rather than letter format, which apparently messes everything up to the point that I shouldn't have even bothered. I love teaching so damn much, but I hate working for another prof. Of course, I hear this is the delusion of every TA...

how can an email wake you up?

There's this thing called a smartphone, it contains the entire internet in the palm of your hand.

Only that one. Do not disturb or provoke Gormongous. He could end us all by destroying his phone.

I have an appointment with a psychologist tomorrow. I don't wanna' go. :getmecoat

I have an appointment with a psychologist tomorrow. I don't wanna' go. :getmecoat

Why not?

There's this thing called a smartphone, it contains the entire internet in the palm of your hand.

The first thing I do is turn off email notifications. Otherwise my phone would never shut up.

The first thing I do is turn off email notifications. Otherwise my phone would never shut up.

I wish I could shut it off, but in academia, unless you've got tenure and especially if you're a grad student, you're expected to be accessible at all hours. I just got an email at ten this morning from some kid who'd complained to his parents that he got a B. I wanted to be like, "Bitch, you get an F now, how about that?" Complaining about a B, God in heaven...

Well, it's not an A...

Beyond the issue of grade inflation for kids who else discover to their dismay that what would get you an A in high school often barely nets a B in college, it's a mid-semester report, after all. Their aggregate grade is missing a paper, a final exam, half their discussion sections, and several pop quizzes. It's going to be tentative and somewhat unrepresentative, as I took the time to explain in class. Moreover, if you haven't come to some of the discussion sections (most haven't, God help me) and got Bs on all the other assignments (with ample explanation from me via rubric), there's no reason to send an email vaguely threatening to get Mommy and Daddy involved. You know what you earned thus far, you just don't like it.

Sorry, the onslaught of whining immediately after midterm grade submission has me on edge, if you can't tell.

Oooh! Are we posting job frustrations? (SPOILERED VAGUE JOB DETAILS TO MAKE SELF LESS GOOGLE-ABLE)

I have a student who is undergoing a medication switch right now. The adjustment period can be rough, so when the parents asked if I would send them some quick notes at the end of each day about how he was doing, I made an exception and said ok. The kid was off his meds, and the new ones take two weeks to kick in, so naturally his behaviour has been pretty disruptive. My notes (completely objective observations. I was very careful to leave out any kind of evaluative statement, as these were ostensibly observations provided to the doctor supervising the kid) were therefor largely about ways that this kid has been finding to creatively mess up my lessons. This resulted in a pages-long angry email from his father about "WELL WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO TO FIX HIM NOW?"

I responded with an emotionless paragraph saying that the kid still had a week left until his system stabilized with the new medication so any planning would be premature. Also, that I had been asked to make observations, and what I had sent him was simply my observations as requested. I BCC'd admin on this too so they had a heads up if he made an angry phone call. Seriously, if you ask for information, don't get pissy if it's not information that makes you happy. I went through my teenage years without ever having that "Man, fuck parents" phase, but I'm definitely starting to feel it now. No offense to parents on the board here, because I'd say that 20 out of the 26 kids in my class have lovely parents, but fuck the other six sets.