gdf

Life

I failed to order memory for my small PC :) I blame the webshop, I think I forgot to click a second time to add the item to my basket.

Interview over. It felt good. But I've said that before.

Also I went there under the impression that it was for a gameplay programming position. It was for a build engineer position! I don't mind - I'd do that, too, though I'm super new to that. The first few minutes were sorta awkward.

I want this job, thanks.

What's a build engineer position? Is that somebody who rigs and maintains the build system?

@elmuerte

Have you looked into using powerline adapters if you want avoid using wireless but cant run the cable easily?

My parents have recently asked me to hook up their new Smart TV to the net but since they dont have a wireless router and don't want cables snaking all over their living space i ended up using these

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0084Y9N3O/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&psc=1&s=computers

not sure if they are fast enough for your needs but thought i'd throw it out there in case its any help

Some of my friends use their powernet as LAN but it has some issues: when the dishwasher turns on the data is interrupted by the fluctuations its electromotor causes. Very annoying when streaming video from a server elsewhere in the house.

This is a (long) anonymised account of a thing that happened to me at the place I'm running yesterday. This guy was a total douchebag to me and my staff. I don't care if he was walking in the door with a blank cheque, nor how many people his company reaches; this kind of attitude can fuck right off.

http://pastebin.com/i31AMevN

He tried to intimidate me with a scowl at one point. Out of politeness, I managed to not laugh at him, and just asked him to leave instead.

Wot a douche! That man deserves to eat a big slice of humble pie. Honestly, does that attitude get you anywhere? That's just really not of the time anymore. Today's world is about networking, collaborating, adding something - not slagging people off under a mistaken banner of professionalism.

No you guys, he was being tough caus he is a tough negotiator. Politez is for loooosers.

Wow. Seriously, who talks to people like that? 

You know, sometimes I worry that I'm not good at picking up on social cues and am bad at conversing with people. Then I read stories like this, and I just think, "At least I'm not *that* bad."

Some people just feel the need to pick a fight. His testosterone levels are probably all out of whack.

@elmuerte

Have you looked into using powerline adapters if you want avoid using wireless but cant run the cable easily?

My parents have recently asked me to hook up their new Smart TV to the net but since they dont have a wireless router and don't want cables snaking all over their living space i ended up using these

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0084Y9N3O/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&psc=1&s=computers

not sure if they are fast enough for your needs but thought i'd throw it out there in case its any help

Powerline also has a security risk, it also goes outside of your home. Also, the performance of powerline sucks. Besides, I have cat5e running through my home as a temp solution. I just want to go for a cleaner solution. Upstairs it's not a big issue because I can work them away nicely. It's just downstairs where it becomes more complicated due to the locations of key devices.

I'm always hesistant to vilify someone based on a single point of data.  Maybe that guy was having a bad day or just got some bad news.  Maybe he really is an asshole and that's normal behavior for him.  Neither of those is an excuse but without more knowledge of the guy who knows what the truth is.  That said, first impressions mean a lot and if that's how he reacts in that situation perhaps he should replaced with someone who can act in more professional manner all the time, or at the very least maybe he should be doing something else.  Not everyone is a people person (I'm not one really).  And kudos to the tired people who still managed to act in a calm manner while some guy is screaming in their face about nothing.  I can honestly say I probably wouldn't have done the same.

Ugh... I always hate it when people start using the term "professional", like it implies any quality or code of conduct. It just means people are getting paid. This guy is a good example, he's a professional because he's being paid (not sure if he's being paid to be an asshole)

That sounds like a fun job. I could do that. 

Get business cards and everything... "Ucantalas - Professional Asshole". 

Wot a douche! That man deserves to eat a big slice of humble pie. Honestly, does that attitude get you anywhere? That's just really not of the time anymore. Today's world is about networking, collaborating, adding something - not slagging people off under a mistaken banner of professionalism.

Unfortunately it can get you a long way. I'm not sure if I would have had the strength to deal with it as gracefully as Nachimir did. I guess it would have depended how tired and angry I was already.

This is a (long) anonymised account of a thing that happened to me at the place I'm running yesterday. This guy was a total douchebag to me and my staff. I don't care if he was walking in the door with a blank cheque, nor how many people his company reaches; this kind of attitude can fuck right off.

He tried to intimidate me with a scowl at one point. Out of politeness, I managed to not laugh at him, and just asked him to leave instead.

I hope you do notice them slagging off [client] so you'll name and shame, like you tweeted!

I'm always hesistant to vilify someone based on a single point of data. Maybe that guy was having a bad day or just got some bad news. Maybe he really is an asshole and that's normal behavior for him.

:tup:

This is why I'm not naming him or the company publicly. The rest of them probably don't deserve to suffer for his behaviour. Also, escalating it would probably just result in dragging my client into an unpleasant shitfight.

I hope you do notice them slagging off [client] so you'll name and shame, like you tweeted!

They aren't talking about it in public, which is kind of a relief even though it would just make them look worse. But, update! 

It turns out the first thing he did on leaving was find the email address of the highest person he could at [client] and get a colleague to send them an official complaint. I don't want to say too much, but that has not gone how he hoped it would and I am basically happy.

that story is so vague i can't tell what the guy was angry about, you may as well have just said "some guy was angry at me and my colleagues and i tried not get angry back" but that is a situation i am can empathise with and it sucks to be on the receiving end of angry guy

He was angry because Nachimir didn't gave him the attention he craved.

Someone wanted to feel important, but Nachimir didn't give him that, so he settled for trying to ruin his day and his career instead. It's something that I ran into all the time working customer service, especially at Border's Books & Music.