gdf

Life

Moving does suck. Fortunately I only have half the job this time: I'm moving all my stuff out into storage and then I'm homeless from Friday! Woooo

Woooo!

...wait, that's not good at all. :sad: I hope things turn up for you.

I know exactly what you mean.  I lack any personal goals whatsoever and I think that's actually very common and normal.  The thing is there are activities I really enjoy doing, and if I can manage some way of producing enough currency based off those activities to survive then that's called a career.  I think I understand your situation in that you don't need money for anything and don't have a natural inclination to turn your passions into money some way, so you have no motivation.

If you currently provide for yourself it doesn't matter what other people think you should do, their opinion has no weight, but if you're being provided for and feel bad about it then you need to find motivation for a career.  I posted earlier in this thread about the change of direction in my life but even that isn't a goal, there's nothing specific I want to achieve, it's a motivation.  If philanthropy does it for you then great, but in the end you'll have to figure out some sort of motivation, it won't just come on its own.

I think that the people that have their future mapped out and have tons of milestones are the unfortunate ones. The people that I've know that are like that tend to race forward and miss the smelling the flowers part of life. I build my goals like this:

What's my goal? To be happy

What makes me happy? Playing video games, eating good food, getting to go out with friends, as well as creativity type stuff (building games, painting, tabletop roleplaying.)

What makes me not happy? Mindless work without a real purpose. Working overtime or being constantly on call.

So what do I need to make me happy? I need to make enough that I can afford to waste a little money going out. I want a job that isn't going to eat a lot of my free time, or leave me exhausted by the time I get home.

6 month goal: Do the best I can to improve the job I'm in to meet those standards

1 year goal: If I can't do the above, look for another position, or make a new position for myself.

2 year goal: profit?

Finished my Dallas interview a couple hours ago. OH MAN I WANT THIS JOB. Some of the nda'd stuff they told me about sounds so fucking cool. I feel like it went really well. Kept talking like I was already there. Hope my optimism isn't too high. Felt really good. U:

Hnnnngh.

Lacabra: Dang, what. D:

I think that the people that have their future mapped out and have tons of milestones are the unfortunate ones. The people that I've know that are like that tend to race forward and miss the smelling the flowers part of life. I build my goals like this:

What's my goal? To be happy

What makes me happy? Playing video games, eating good food, getting to go out with friends, as well as creativity type stuff (building games, painting, tabletop roleplaying.)

What makes me not happy? Mindless work without a real purpose. Working overtime or being constantly on call.

So what do I need to make me happy? I need to make enough that I can afford to waste a little money going out. I want a job that isn't going to eat a lot of my free time, or leave me exhausted by the time I get home.

6 month goal: Do the best I can to improve the job I'm in to meet those standards

1 year goal: If I can't do the above, look for another position, or make a new position for myself.

2 year goal: profit?

I can agree with most of that but that list changes quite a bit if you are in a relationship, married, or have kids. Then, not only are you trying to find your own happiness balance but also making sure that what makes you happy isn't at odds with what makes your loved ones happy. Ideally there is a lot of overlap there but there is always going to be some compromise. Then you have to consider your future happiness as well. So to reach that balance sometimes it might be worth it to take that mundane job that might end up leaving you happier later in life than if you took that fun job that doesn't pay as well or doesn't have a good long term outlook.

Long story short, I think having some plan to make sure you can continue to be happy in the future is important. But I agree that too many people focus too much of their life planning for the future and then wake up one day and see the crypt keeper in the mirror when they finally decide they are ready to enjoy the "future" they had been planning for.

Finished my Dallas interview a couple hours ago. OH MAN I WANT THIS JOB. Some of the nda'd stuff they told me about sounds so fucking cool. I feel like it went really well. Kept talking like I was already there. Hope my optimism isn't too high. Felt really good. U:

Hnnnngh.

I hope you get it, Twig, if only because then I'd be able to meet another Thumbs person during my Christmas or summer break. It's so lonesome here in the middle of the States...

Oh, I thought I posted about this in here already but maybe not. It's not as dire as it sounds at all. I'm having to move out of where I am because it's not cost-effective anymore, but don't particularly want to live anywhere so I'm going to be homeless-on-purpose for a while and just couchsurf and travel around for a bit. Should be fine.

I`m just horribly depressed lately and I don`t know why. I can barely even get up in the morning.

I also recently started talking in my sleep, which I only know because I`ll wake up while finishing a sentence. I never remember what I've been saying though, or what my recent nightmares have been about.

Oh, I thought I posted about this in here already but maybe not. It's not as dire as it sounds at all. I'm having to move out of where I am because it's not cost-effective anymore, but don't particularly want to live anywhere so I'm going to be homeless-on-purpose for a while and just couchsurf and travel around for a bit. Should be fine.

Well that's not quite as bad as I had thought. Still hope it goes well for you!

Twig: Sounds promising, here's hoping!

Zeus: Totally agree.

Teg: Cheer up, soon you'll have tons of new pokemon to play with!

Lacabra: Sounds like fun, good luck with that.

Me: The good news is my house has internet now.  The bad news is I'm still having problems with the electricity so the modem keeps resetting.  I also have no hot water or heat and its getting cold.  This is getting fucking ridiculous and is really pissing me off.

The good news is my house has internet now.  The bad news is I'm still having problems with the electricity so the modem keeps resetting.  I also have no hot water or heat and its getting cold.  This is getting fucking ridiculous and is really pissing me off.

It seems sometimes like moving into a newly built house is the real "roughing it." I had a colleague who basically lived several degrees removed from first-world civilization in one way or another for nine months after moving. Hope it turns out better for you, though!

Boo for lack of sleep. I read a bbc story the other day that said Britons got an average of 6.5 hours of sleep a night. I would die with less than 7.5!

I'm very lucky with my DIY. Despite completely lacking DIY skills, I have a retired father who actively seeks out jobs he can do to keep himself busy. My siblings and i are under standing order to keep running lists of odd jobs he can do when he comes to visit our houses. It gets scary when there is an empty list, caus you can come home to find random additions to your kitchen shelving.

My dad's the same way.  He likes to build things and make improvements, even when they're not necessary.  We already have a list of stuff that needs to be done once the house is settled.  The first thing is to build a deck so the door in the back of the house doesn't lead to a 10ft fall like it does now.

Well that's not quite as bad as I had thought. Still hope it goes well for you!

Thanks. It starts tomorrow! I just spend hours scrubbing walls and floors. Ow.

My dad's the same way.  He likes to build things and make improvements, even when they're not necessary.  We already have a list of stuff that needs to be done once the house is settled.  The first thing is to build a deck so the door in the back of the house doesn't lead to a 10ft fall like it does now.

One idea: Slide.

I can agree with most of that but that list changes quite a bit if you are in a relationship, married, or have kids. Then, not only are you trying to find your own happiness balance but also making sure that what makes you happy isn't at odds with what makes your loved ones happy. Ideally there is a lot of overlap there but there is always going to be some compromise. Then you have to consider your future happiness as well. So to reach that balance sometimes it might be worth it to take that mundane job that might end up leaving you happier later in life than if you took that fun job that doesn't pay as well or doesn't have a good long term outlook.

Long story short, I think having some plan to make sure you can continue to be happy in the future is important. But I agree that too many people focus too much of their life planning for the future and then wake up one day and see the crypt keeper in the mirror when they finally decide they are ready to enjoy the "future" they had been planning for.

Oh, I'm married, I'm just lucky enough to have someone who's desires are more or less in line with my own. Kids though, I agree, which is why I'm declining that privledge.

I`m just horribly depressed lately and I don`t know why. I can barely even get up in the morning.

I also recently started talking in my sleep, which I only know because I`ll wake up while finishing a sentence. I never remember what I've been saying though, or what my recent nightmares have been about.

: (

I've had problems like that from time to time. I'm going to ask the obvious here, but are you getting enough sleep? Are you unplugging and relaxing a little before you go to bed? Are you laying in bed doing other things instead of sleeping?

Since I'm sure the advice isn't helping much, is there anything we can do that would help? I could fire up my Terraria game or play something online if company would help.

Edit: Stupid frowny face looking all angry.

Dig a pool, and extend a plank outside of the door. So you can walk the plank, matey.