gdf

Life

Oh, I guess its rather old. I copied the first 419 spam I found and just changed the last few lines.

They trick is to have fun lying elmuerte. Then it all becomes a hilarious game. And if you loose you are back on unemployment (or back to the enjoyable yet going nowhere job you were at before because you were smart enough not to tell anyone).

Also, you can get free trips to places. I got to Zurich after Easter on the strength of a phone interview. Stayed with my buddies and made a holiday of it. Whoop. Didn't get the job though.

I've bin happy as a clam since I moved over here in Holland, and I'm starting to care about videoagames a lot less.

I don't have time to play em, read about em, and I listen to way less podcasts now that I'm not just at home by myself all day.

I bet if I thought this over for a long time I'd find something really sad at the core of it- so fuck that! I'm gonna just continue enjoying myself, and catch up on GTA V when it all falls to pieces.

My drive to California got totally wanked yesterday. A tire blew out and all the shops in the city I was in in Arizona were closed for the weekend. So I'm staying with a friend in Las Vegas (who came to get me and my belongings). Which is staying to a few days' stay because we can't go back to Arizona until he has an off day from work!

My drive to California got totally wanked yesterday. A tire blew out 

Not to belittle your misfortune, but knowing the meaning of 'wank' makes this hilarious.

I was looking into how to properly put the cat5e through my house. So I bought a small PC and small TV for the bedroom.

I was looking into how to properly put the cat5e through my house. So I bought a small PC and small TV for the bedroom.

Just use cables rated for use inside walls and don't exceed 300 feet and you'll be fine. If you have an attic route it through there and then drop it down your wall wherever you want to put an outlet.

What's wrong with wireless?

1) Security

2) Performance

3) Reliability

Just use cables rated for use inside walls and don't exceed 300 feet and you'll be fine. If you have an attic route it through there and then drop it down your wall wherever you want to put an outlet.

I do have an attic, but I'm not going to route it through there (I have really sturdy concrete ceilings/floors). Anyway, the problem I'm facing is more on where to put my router and stuff.

The layout of my house and the places where internet comes in, where my router is, and where I want internet are not the best set up. I also want to keep in mind a possible future fibre to the home.

Is wireless not high-performance and reliable these days? Can't say I've had problems and I blast scary amounts of data around, far better than even five years ago. I wouldn't know about security though, I just throw WPA2 or whatever on it and hope for the best.

These are sincere questions by the way because it sounds like there's a good reason I shouldn't be using it.

Wireless is still very inferior compared to hard wired connections. I have an average packet loss of at least 10% which ends up affecting the speed quite a bit since it has to resend those packets. Granted, this will be much better if you have a good router and good wireless card and might not even be noticeable if you have really fast speeds to begin with. For me though it is quite an improvement when I switch to hard wired.

I find wireless to be utterly unreliable. But also I don't bother to buy good routers/wireless cards because ethernet is cheap and easy to wire alone the wall/floor and I live in an apartment so.

Not to belittle your misfortune, but knowing the meaning of 'wank' makes this hilarious.

Oh don't worry, I knew exactly what I was allowing for when I wrote that.

Also, wireless tech to me has always been a sort of means to an end, unless you're working in an environment where everyone having remote and mobile access to something is crucial. I've been using mobile broadband (well, except at this very moment temporarily) for the last couple of years and it is... man. I mean the tech would be excusible if it weren't for the management and policies at play.

Whenever there's a practical means to have wired equipment or connections I will definitely take that over wireless. Wireless computer mouses and keyboards are like abberations to me.

Wireless computer mouses and keyboards are like abberations to me.

Yes. I hate how hard I have to search to find good wired keyboards and mice these days. I'm sure I'm not gaining much by doing this but is it too much to ask to make models available in both wired and wireless versions?

Wireless has been pretty rock solid in my house since we got a more powerful router and I got a USB extension cable for my desktop so I could put the antenna a little ways away from the rest of the electronics. Speed differences don't really matter to me as I don't do a lot of transferring inside the house, and our Comcast connection is only 50 Mb anyway. I imagine your milage would depends on what's in your walls, how big your place is, and what other wireless devices you have.

Well. I just moved to a different city, and into an apartment with my sister last week. Just got an internet connection set up yesterday. Now looking for work here (hopefully it will be easier than looking for work in Ottawa was...) 

Wireless is nothing compared to gigabit ethernet.

Well gigabit ethernet is nothing compared to 10-gigabit cat6 but it's all about whether or not you're actually hitting a performance barrier.

What kind of things do you find wireless can't deliver? Mine never drops or slows my 60mb/s internet or HD rips, but I don't stream uncompressed Blu-rays. Would I hit a barrier there?

I'm going to be setting up a (hopefully great) way of dealing with home media when I get a new house next year and don't even have a Blu-ray drive yet so it's useful to know.

I regularly transfer large and huge files around, and I don't like to wait a long time. I can write with 40+MB/s to my NAS. Pretty much every device I own speaks 1000Mbit/s ethernet. Hardly any speaks WLAN, and barely any speaks 802.11n. And even so, 'n' is barely more than 100Mbit/s ethernet due to the high protocol overhead.