gdf

Life

Chew some valerian root and get more exercise.

I guess healthy, natural sleep is better than taking red and blue Tuinals, or lipstick-red Seconals.

Actually Orv, the best thing that helped me what learning more about sleep hygiene. Apparently it's the most common cause of insomnia. Can't guarantee it'll help you, but it's good practice, none-the-less.

I guess healthy, natural sleep is better than taking red and blue Tuinals, or lipstick-red Seconals.

Nicely done.

I bought an apartment today. Yay!

Congrats fellow apartment owner!

Does the bank own your ass now also?

The bank owns about half my ass. I think it's the left cheek.

It's not entirely awesome. I just didn't find anything that had all the properties I wanted and be affordable without a 20-30 year loan, so I settled for something that is more or less ok and I could pay off in a small number of years. It's not too small and is close to a forest/park where I like to go running/biking, which I haven't done a lot lately, so I hope to start doing more of that once I've moved in.

I'm generally happy about it, the only real issue is that it's on the edge of town and not well integrated with the city space. But at least buses go to the centre every half an hour or so.

How much do apartments cost in Estonia? In here the prices just keep on rising. I find it funny how cheap some apartments were just some years ago.

One area in my town used to have big apartments for 50000€ or less. These days the prices in that area are around 90000€. One guy in my football team sold one with exactly those prices so he netted quite a lot of profit. It was the worst neighborhood around here, but would've been a good situation to do some nice business.

I'm finally back in my apartment after not being able to live here since the 2nd. Haven't set anything up yet, mind (they'll still be fixing baseboards for the next hour or so) but today, hopefully, the month-long mould ordeal will finally be over. I'm going to bleach the hell out of my boxspring (really hoping that it just has scuff marks on it) and let it dry when I'm at work tonight, and then I'll be back in my own damn bed for the first time in a month just in time for the super stressful start of the school year. Awesome.

How much do apartments cost in Estonia? In here the prices just keep on rising. I find it funny how cheap some apartments were just some years ago.

Well, there was a peak in 2007 or so when it was 1600 € to 2500 € per square meter for large-ish apartments that I looked at in Tallinn. The prices fell, and haven't really rised a lot again, and now I payed less than 1000 € per square meter. But that price was rather exceptional for a new or renovated apartment, most that I looked at were 1300 - 1900 €.

I haven't really looked at the centre, where there are some way more expensive ones and prices probably start at 1600 or so.

Hi, I am in Balgrade. It is 4:54am and I am jetlaggy, typing this on the terrace on a hijacked and horribly slow internet connection. Woo! :tup:

I set up my bedroom this afternoon! This included setting up my desktop for the first time since I moved in December (everything was fucking chaos and I was getting by fine with my laptop so I didn't worry about it). Man, it feels so fucking good to be using a proper keyboard again. My laptop is pretty good as they go, but any laptop keyboard will always be shitty compared to a half-decent dedicated one. It's really weird to boot up a PC for the first time in 8 months. Kind of a bizarre relic from the past. Spent hours today bringing it up to date while fixing everything else in my apartment. Also, when you haven't lived in a place for four weeks and had ANYTHING in the garbage before you left, fruit flies will be fucking EVERYWHERE. Gross. I wish I'd had a chance to empty the garbage before leaving in the rush that I was. Oh well. Progress is being made, I am starting to feel like things may actually be normal soon. That's a good feeling.

Put some of any sugary liquid at the bottom of a soda bottle and add some soap to break the surface tension. It'll attract and drown them.

Devious, and also awesome. Just saw a winged ant in my bathroom as well. RAID-ed the fuck out of that thing. Can't wait for it to start getting cold again. I renewed my lease right before it started getting warm, then all of these things that only happen during the summer started happening that turned out to be issues with the place. Bummer times, but with September comes cold. Soon I will be just fine for the remainder of the lease, then out of here.

A childhood friend's family used to hang jars with jam in the bottom and holes punched down through the lid. Wasps crawl in, can't get back out, and meet a sticky end. The jars used to fill up with them.

My DXHR finally got delivered. And I ordered a new PC, because this one is dying. Or at least, once in a while it makes a loud whistle noise for a fraction of a second.

My DXHR finally got delivered. And I ordered a new PC, because this one is dying. Or at least, once in a while it makes a loud whistle noise for a fraction of a second.

Maybe it's just hitting on you?

Put some of any sugary liquid at the bottom of a soda bottle and add some soap to break the surface tension. It'll attract and drown them.

At the risk of repeating myself, you devious bastard. I now have a Toronto Maple Leafs souvenir glass full of sugar water, a bit of soap, and dead fruit flies. Thanks for the mass-insect-murder tip!

And by fruit flies you wouldn't happen to mean negroes, would you, hmmmmm?

I deleted my Facebook account, which is one of the many things I've delightfully removed myself of in recent times. Other such things that I no longer am burdened by are in no particular order: Television, The News, Meat. If only I could find a way to cut back on The Internet. It's vital to my work, but it's almost impossible to not let it invade your life completely.

Burdened by meat?? But it's so delicious! :grin: TV and news werea good choice though! I cancelled my TV subscription a few years ago and there hasn't been a day yet that I missed being able to watch TV.

I gave up reading news, following news, listening to any kind of politics (outside of this forum), or checking worldly updates as well. I guess that kind of makes me ignorant and sheltered, but there's so much news as it is going on in things I'm interested in or people I know.

Worldly news and politics just makes me feel so helpless, angry, and ineffectual. I give up.

Actively not following news isn't giving up, it's realizing that it's a giant waste of time. If something were to happen that is relevant to you, people in your environment would very efficiently inform you of that event, in a succinct and pithy manner.

Also, this is not about closing yourself from world events. I will gladly read in-depth articles and books about important happenings. But news generally sucks at connecting dots, and you have to wade through thousands of worthless snippets for every one thing of mild importance that will probably have no effect on your life anyway. Why submit yourself to that ADHD stream of consciousness? Choose substance and depth over generally useless trivia.

Also, live in a cave! is what I'm saying :buyme:

Actively not following news isn't giving up, it's realizing that it's a giant waste of time. If something were to happen that is relevant to you, people in your environment would very efficiently inform you of that event, in a succinct and pithy manner.

Also, this is not about closing yourself from world events. I will gladly read in-depth articles and books about important happenings. But news generally sucks at connecting dots, and you have to wade through thousands of worthless snippets for every one thing of mild importance that will probably have no effect on your life anyway. Why submit yourself to that ADHD stream of consciousness? Choose substance and depth over generally useless trivia.

Yep, I totally agree. Also the news is generally too depressing, and also getting of worse and worse quality every time I see it. I read the headlines each day, but I don't bother reading anything unless it's of world importance or of direct relevance to me (or interesting looking). There's far too much sensationalized crap that doesn't benefit me in any way (and which I can't possibly do anything about).