gdf

Life

Holy shit. Suddenly I'm happy I live in a freaking cold part of the world. Except even here it's about 30 Celcius outside. I can't imagine your crazy Texan temperatures.

Try 100+ for about three weeks straight. I don't handle heat well, leaving me basically dead and useless this past month.

A city about 40 miles southeast from here has been on fire since yesterday

wtf

(Do you live in Silent Hill?)

Try 100+ for about three weeks straight. I don't handle heat well, leaving me basically dead and useless this past month.

On the other hand, making tea is really easy.

I presume that's Farenheit. Miffy was talking in Celsius. Still, 100° F is 37.8° C, which is pretty bloody hot. (For reference, 30° C is 86° F.)

I presume that's Farenheit. Miffy was talking in Celsius. Still, 100° F is 37.8° C, which is pretty bloody hot. (For reference, 30° C is 86° F.)

Your presumptions wound me sir.

(Yes, I am a filthy ignorant American and couldn't use any system of measurement the rest of the world uses without a lengthy introduction course. This saddens me deeply.)

So I had to go home early from work today because of a power outage caused be an apartment complex five miles away burning up. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

That's scary! Is this a regular thing in Texas, or some exceptional happenstance? A sudden onset of draught.

As a sign along a Californian road read when I was there: 'Congress created dustbowl!'. Perhaps they're behind this too?

That's scary! Is this a regular thing in Texas, or some exceptional happenstance? A sudden onset of draught.

Hmm, I have only lived in central Texas the past year and I think while it happens sometimes, it's never been on this scale. From what I hear from coworkers it doesn't usually happen around Austin either.

I used to live in Houston where floods where the most common thing you could get during hurricane season. I prefer lots of rain.

And man I have always disliked Rick Perry so much.

So I was talking to a friend yesterday around 9, when suddenly... My friend asked "Did you feel that shock?" and I went "Huh? What? No?"

2nd Heaviest earthquake in the Netherlands and I missed it!

So my new workstation was delivered today. A Dell XPS 8300. So far, I'm not really happy with my purchase. It's a bit of a let down. My old workstation was also an XPS, a XPS 420 to be precise. But because it's starting to die I decided to get a new one. But the XPS 8300 clearly isn't of the same quality as the XPS 420 was. The case construction is no where near the quality that of the 420. It feels more like one of those shitty HP machines than the performance beast that the XPS used to be. The XPS 420 had proper cooling and airflow design. None of that is present in the 8300. I guess Dell wants the XPS people to move to Alienware or something. But that stuff is ridiculously expensive.

Worst part of my 8300 is that they used a Seagate disk (next to the WesternDigital). I've never had a positive experience with seagate, and this is no exception. The disk makes a very annoying sound (like a truck which is about 1km away backing up). So I trashed the RAID0 setup and disconnected the seagate drive. A tedious reinstall later I'm back in Windows and the machine doesn't make the crappy noise. Interesting side note, the WD alone performs better than the RAID0 config with the seagate.

Anyway... I think I'm also going to get a new disk, probably a WD Black. I was already going to get a 8GB more ram, the Dell option for 16GB (vs 8GB) was +200 euros, which is just insane.

I think next time I will simply build my own system again.

Just curious. So why didn't you build your own this time around? Even I managed to put everything together in a couple of hours with relative ease (ok, a friend consulted me a little). Figuring out which parts to get took some time of course, but you seem to have a pretty clear view of what you want.

Because I was quite happy with the quality and service Dell offered with my previous machine. If it wasn't for the shitty seagate disk it would have been just plug and play rather than assembling and installing the lot.

Last time I assembled a system (not counting the NAS, which is a synology system that just needed disks) it took me quite some time to figure out all the parts I wanted. And that system was only a simple HTPC. A high(er) end workstation would simply take a lot of more time, I think.

Come to think of it, this Dell is the 3rd system I bought this year. But now I'm really done for a while. Got my HTPC, NAS, workstation and netbook.

I could use a new monitor though. And a new keyboard... keyboards are really annoying to buy, most keyboards have the wrong key layouts, too many dumb function keys, laptop style buttons, etc. yes, I'm very picky

I've never posted here before, but I've had the need until now, yeah.. this is a downer...

I've never really talked about my life before, I work and live with my parents as a butcher's assistant and while things have been slow lately, it wasn't that bad.

And then my parents said that it would be a good idea to purchase the canned goods store in the market place since the owner is retiring soon, my parents thinks it's a great idea because since it's canned goods they would save money because the produce wouldn't go bad and it's a relatively good place.

The thing is... the market place is going old, each year some is retiring and closing the shop for good and almost nobody is there to buy it, I'm sure you see the problem already, right? In the best case scenario the market place would be a ghost town leaving me alone and nobody goes to market place with only a few stores open.

"Fortunately", the owner asked way too much money, so they couldn't afford it, so they thought of getting the closed canned goods store in another aisle where there is much less traffic.

This would be a disaster, I knew the previous owner, she closed because she couldn't get enough clients, so why would I be any more successful?

By the way, did I mention they want me to use my money to buy the store and me to run it on my own? It's not that I don't think I can run a store, I simply think it's a terrible investment.

But it gets worse, I'm always been a very restless person and I've been in therapy to get over my nerves, well... When I found out there was no way of getting out of this, I had an anxiety attack.

I hyperventilated, I cried, I felt faint... My father was right there and he just sent me on a errand while I was still crying.

Fortunately, I had an appointment with my doctor in two days, he's worried, but said it's not urgent, but he did say my recent loss of appetite and throat infection are probably stress related and maybe not a fungus like he once thought. I've lost nearly 7 kilos already and if this is stress related, being forced into a business I'm sure will fail will not help me at all...

My parents have already asked for the keys to the place it should be open in a month.

I seriously don't know what to do, I was desperately looking for a new job, but after this anxiety attack, I'm not sure I'm fit to go to one anymore.

The TL;DR version: I'm forced to open a business doomed to failure and I can't do anything about it, my stress has caused an anxiety attack and I've lost lots of weight.:tdown:

PS: No, I have nobody else to turn to... I have no friends in this area and my sister won't take sides.... Yes, I'm that pathetic.

Damn. That sounds like a really uncomfortable situation. :(

Have you told your parents that you think buying and opening the store is a terrible idea and you absolutely don't want to do it? Also, if you happened to find another job now that you would be more comfortable with (and one which isn't doomed from the start), would the situation be resolved or have your parents already spend so much money on the store that you there is no backing down or something?

Based on your description, to me, it seems like your best bet would be to come up with a job or at least some kind of career plan and explain to your parents why it is much better idea than the canned goods store. I know it is much more difficult than it sounds, though..

They know very well what I think about the store, they simply believe I'm making excuses... They only gave me a week to look for a job, but considering I haven't gotten any responses anyway things are looking bad?

It's very weird, they talked with the owner of the market and they'll get the keys soon, I should do the paying and signing of thing, but I haven't seen anything, but my father says he'll have everything ready in a month

Is there any place to hire the "desperate"? If I get a job they shouldn't force me to open a business, but I'm not sure what to think of this anymore.

The worst part is that if I own a business, I don't think anybody will hire me.

I live and work with them? It must be some sort of Spanish mentality, because not even my sister seems to think this is weird...

It's all implied, but they do say the store will be mine and it will be my money invested in it. They won't let me say no unless I get a job, but they said it was too late after a week of looking.

What I find hard to believe is that you can just open a store so easily, where is bureaucracy when you need it? Don't I need a store permit and a food handler permit minimum?

They shouldn't be able to force you into something like that, man. It's your money, your investment, if you think it's a terrible idea (for good reasons I see) then don't do it. It's more about your happiness than theirs. Of course, since it'd be your store, can't you do something that is not canned goods?

The problem is that the store is set for this and it would be too expensive to remodel and I'd be the one paying for the remodeling anyway I suppose.

Like I said, my parent already asked for the keys to the store, I was there while it happened, it looks like he already made a verbal contract with the market owner without my consent.

My sister had an idea that might work, I tell my father to fire me, but still feed me and let me live there, and I'll use my own savings until I find a new job, that way I'll be less of an economical burden to them. It's risky, but maybe better than opening a store that's doomed to fail?

What really worries me is the anxiety attack, I've never had one before and I feel different, more vulnerable? I don't think I should do anything before seeing my therapist...

Speaking of which there is a medieval market in the city, hopefully going on and trying to have fun will help a little?

At least I feel a little better knowing that I'm not insane for thinking their business idea is bad, then again they thought I'd make a fortune by buying and renting one parking lot.

Damn dude. That's a shitty situation, no doubt. Anxiety attacks are something that I don't have first hand experience with, but several close friends and my girlfriend are afflicted with. They can be dealt with if you recognize when one is coming on, but you need to get a few before you can see that pattern. If my girlfriend starts giggling a lot for absolutely no reason for example, we both know that she needs to go sit down and take deep breaths for a while before other emotions start to take over and she shuts down for a bit. Other friends have other warning signs, but there does always seem to be a pattern. Hopefully if this happens again you find yours sooner rather than later and can start to deal with it.

As for the business thing, I completely agree that it sounds like a pre-ordained failure and all I can really say is that if family politics are really giving you no option but to take it, I hope that minor early failures are enough to convince your folks to get out of the market before something more catastrophic happens. Basically, I hope the business fails just enough for you to convince them but not enough that you can't recover. Good luck to you, man.

Yes, it would be convenient that the store fails sooner than later, but my parents would believe it's my fault and that I didn't put my heart in it...

I'm back from the medieval market and it was actually nice, people dressed up and everything! There was a cheese monger! I bought a chuck of dried meat!

It's still recent enough for me to remember, I started to hyperventilate and soon after that I started to cry, I can't really remember what I was doing before, but it was a few hours after I was told there was no way out of this situation.