gdf

Life

Glad to hear you're OK, Thunderpeel. Hope everyone else in England here is OK too.

2011: the Year of the Riots.

As an aside, 'The Interrupters' is a film based in Chicago about ex gangsters interdicting trouble before it happens with reasoning and debate. Just out, looks v. good. @chaostheoryuk is a UK based org in London.

Glad to hear you're OK, Thunderpeel. Hope everyone else in England here is OK too.

2011: the Year of the Riots.

Thanks, Kroms. I feel like a big pussy, but it was very disconcerting to see my high street being damaged like that. It's hard to explain. Even though I wasn't in direct danger, it still freaked me out quite a bit.

Anyways, it seems like it's all blown over now.

Nah, it's OK. It's perfectly normal to feel a bit disheartened or scared. It's a sign you're not stupid.

Crowds when they get going can be really scary. Totally understandable. I remember once being on the demos in the 90s against the BNP. We were supposed to march passed BNP HQ, but the police wouldn't let everyone (as it would have been totally destroyed). Anyway, was just looking at all the litter with on the grounds, densely packed with legs. Then all the legs disappeared suddenly, and all I could see what tarmac. I looked up to see a police horse charging the crowd (and by proxy) straight at me. Shit myself and legged it. No damage was incurred.

I'm still bummed and w/e about life/death, but in more cheery news:

I was picked today to be EA's SSX guy at GamesCom 2011! So basically I'll be there, playing SSX, interviewing developers and posting it all on the EA website. I'd like it if you maybe checked it out.

It certainly was nice to hear today, at any rate. Cheered me up for about 10 minutes, hah.

Will you be at Gamescom on Wednesday? That's when I'll be there. If I see you SSX-ing it up, I'll come up and say hi =)

I'm still bummed and w/e about life/death, but in more cheery news:

I was picked today to be EA's SSX guy at GamesCom 2011! So basically I'll be there, playing SSX, interviewing developers and posting it all on the EA website. I'd like it if you maybe checked it out.

It certainly was nice to hear today, at any rate. Cheered me up for about 10 minutes, hah.

So what you're saying is that you're the next Jeff Green?

Will you be at Gamescom on Wednesday? That's when I'll be there. If I see you SSX-ing it up, I'll come up and say hi =)

Yes! I'm there from Tuesday until the following Monday, so I will be around all week. :)

So what you're saying is that you're the next Jeff Green?

That's EXACTLY what I'm saying. I'm a middle-aged Jew with a daughter, and I work at PopCap. :)

You're going to be SSX-ing A WHOLE WEEK? That sounds awful! I wouldn't last for more than three days on a crowded convention like that! But do your best! I have no idea what SSX even is! It sounds like extreme volleyball!

It's Xtreme!!!! Snowboarding. Great series.

And it's not as bad as it sounds. If you think about it, I have a whole week and I only need to report on one game, giving me lots of time to go around and see lots of different things and people.

Do you have an exhibitor's pass? Because then I strongly recommend that you hustle your way into the EA stand in the business area through subterfuge and chicanery, and then proceed to drink free beverages. Two years ago I counterfeited a heartwrenching tale of incompetent editors bungling my appointment, and then I met Tim Schafer, a Mass Effect producer and Kane from C&C.

Well worth the sin!

Do you have an exhibitor's pass? Because then I strongly recommend that you hustle your way into the EA stand in the business area through subterfuge and chicanery, and then proceed to drink free beverages. Two years ago I counterfeited a heartwrenching tale of incompetent editors bungling my appointment, and then I met Tim Schafer, a Mass Effect producer and Kane from C&C.

Well worth the sin!

I assume so. I'm there working for EA, so I reckon I will!

Well worth the sin!

Did you shake Joe Kucan's hand?

I don't know anything about the hat, but I do need to point out that Joe Kucan is enormous in size, making me look like Peter Dinklage.

Speedy, how might I recognize you on the Gamescom, on the off (way off) chance that I see you? (I say off because Gamescom spans square kilometers mapped across about ten huge hallways.

Whew! What a rollercoaster! Early the other morning, I saw #riotcleanup start to trend above #londonriots - so I bought the domain to try and help collate cleanup operations so that everyone had somewhere to go and when to be there. Started writing it @ 2.30, had to dash over to a mate's house and park outside it to 'steal' his wifi and by 5.30 the site was live. The guardian linked it and by 9.30 34SP took the site down as it was damaging the other sites on thier servers. They gave me a dedi box for free (as long as their logo was on it) - within a few hours it had had 2 million hits and was running at 32mbps. It's quietened down now. Their blog post amused me a little, but was cool : http://www.34sp.com/blog/

G+ hangouts was instrumental with 5 of us getting together to re-write the site and upload it, and now the new site is live! www.riotcleanup.co.uk

Really chuffed how it turned out! Efforts are ongoing.:tup: