Wrestlevania

The Dancing Thumb (aka: music recommendations)

making the rounds today:

Adorable J-Pop Idols BiS collaborate with long time brutal noise kings Hijokaidan

Jesus fucking Christ. I'm all for alternative music but this is really taking the piss. How can anyone seriously enjoy this?

Quick, wash that away with forever-reigning Dutch rap icon Extince in a relatively new song:

(Background: Extince sort of singlehandedly popularized rap in the Netherlands in the 90s, spawning a wave of new hiphop singers and musicians afterwards, After decades, he's still around making cool music.)

I'm not averse to rap, though I care little for the surrounding scene. Anyway, Osdorp Posse always remained relatively local to the Amsterdam scene. Extince was the first to really bump public awareness, appearing easily on every (television) music channel around. OK, at that time it was only TMF, and later The Box. Sure, there were people and groups before him, but that doesn't take away his claim as rap's big Dutch breakthrough.

I never liked Osdorp Posse, by the way. Too angry, too "Amsterdam street culture". Extince had a sense of humor, his songs were smart and funny.

Man, I love that BiSKaidan record! It's like the full realization of the disruptive power of the internet as a cultural fragmentation agent, that these two things get to co-exist. Hojikaidan has been working since the late 70s. 

It is really good. Definitely the best thing El-P has been involved in for years and years. I liked the Chance album better though. Also for some reason I really loved Traphouse III, while also recognizing that it is totally brainless and hacky. 

E;

Best song on album. 

Man, I love that BiSKaidan record! It's like the full realization of the disruptive power of the internet as a cultural fragmentation agent, that these two things get to co-exist. Hojikaidan has been working since the late 70s. 

I'm going to be honest: I'd never heard of either of them until this thread, and having just listened to both of their individual samples I wish it'd stayed that way. I'm not really sure what you mean by anything in that first sentence so I'll just assume I'm missing something. ;(

Man, rap is something else when you don't understand a word they're saying. :D Otherwise some enjoyable specimens of rap.

I quite enjoyed hearing this fellow the other day. Does this even count as rap? It certainly has common hallmarks such as an obsessive fixation on status and money.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PMoX-iclpM

Yeah, I heard that Earl record was good, I'm a bit more interested in light of his recent attitude change. I can't hang with that OF stuff for those reasons. I liked El-P's Cancer record a lot, more than the 2nd one. I also dug his production on R.A.P. Music. Great record. I kind of checked out of rap generally after the decline of the Wu-Tang era. Speaking of, Ghostface's 12 Ways is real good too. haha. 

Quick! Everybody! What is your all-time favorite Pixies song? Or top 3?

For me it's

1. Velouria

2. Debaser

3. Wave of Mutilation (UK Surf Mix)

SPECIAL MENTION FOR THE FIRST 40 SECONDS OF MANTA RAY.

For me it's for sure Debasser, Where is My Mind, and then I can't decide on 3rd because it's a 10 way tie.

For me it's for sure Debasser, Where is My Mind, and then I can't decide on 3rd because it's a 10 way tie.

I'd go Hey, Alex Eiffel, Debaser.

Three best Pixies songs are Bone Machine, Hey and Brick is Red. Have a good day.

(Earl record is solid and I am not an Odd Future guy at all. Slow burn is a good way to put it)

I haven't popped in here in a while but my love of Daptone records abides. I like pretty much everything they do. Some of it, I don't necessarily LOVE, but it's all likable. Sharon Jones, Charles Bradley, Mighty Imperials, Menahan Street Band, Budos Band, Sugarman 3. ALL GOOD.

My current obsession is MSB's album The Crossing which is like their usual schtick crossed with a spaghetti western/morricone flavor.

Rediscovered Sebadoh recently and dove into Lou Barlow's solo work for the first time. I'm madly in love with it. Painful and heartfelt lo-fi acoustic music.

Weirdly, I once saw Lou Barlow opening for Dinosaur Jr. Poor guy didn't get a break all night. His solo stuff is really cool though. Also, juv3nal, I need to get more into Daptone stuff. I love Sharon Jones, but don't really know much else. Got any more tips?

Also, juv3nal, I need to get more into Daptone stuff. I love Sharon Jones, but don't really know much else. Got any more tips?

Yeah I meant to drop a bunch of links to videos but was posting from my phone and lazy.

I tend to prefer instrumental stuff, so I'm all over the Mighty Imperials, Menahan Street Band, Budos Band, & Sugarman 3, but if you like stuff with vocals, maybe start with Charles Bradley.

Here's my favourite of his:

This is a pretty catchy song from The Mighty Imperials

This is probably my favourite song by The Sugarman Three:

This is probably my favourite song by The Budos Band

If you like Wu Tang Clan, someone did a mashup of them with Budos band which is interesting:

But right now, I'm all over The Crossing by The Menahan Street Band

I don't think I've ever had such unmitigated love for pretty much all the music from a given (admittedly small) label.

There's usually one or two artists where I'm like "eh, that's not my thing," but Daptone is like all stuff I like.

breaking out some embeds since there's a limit of 2 apparently:

This is probably my favourite song by The Sugarman Three:

This is probably my favourite song by The Budos Band

(the other two are playlists so wouldn't embed anyways)