Wrestlevania

The Dancing Thumb (aka: music recommendations)

I found this group thanks to Radio Lab, but I found it's super relaxing for Dota 2. It's about the length of a match and because it's so rhythmic it keeps rage to a minimum. WARNING: It may sound like a murderer is stalking you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcY5czIND-A

Heh, I found this album through a blog I follow and then noticed they were on Radiolab after the fact. Which also reminded me that I need to start listening to Radiolab again.

Here's something else that's rhythmic and repetitive and good.

In the same vein as the Baroness discussion (because they've been touring and they're from the same town), I've been listening to Royal Thunder nonstop since discovering them. They're basically a heavier Heart:

I've also been listening to a lot of Wolf People who are a super Britishy fake 70s psych band. Musically they remind me a lot of Damnation-era Opeth. They alternate between being really good and so-goofy-it's-funny-and-good pretty regularly.

Moby still manages to bowl me over from time to time.

Somehow missed that one of my favourite electronica artists released a new album this year. His previous one from 2010 remains a cornerstone of every playlist I build, alongside a select few others like Gorillaz's Demon Days and Royksopp's everything.

Newsflash, Billie Holiday is amazing!

Ok, so that's obvious, but I just heard her earliest recordings from the mid 30s for the first time and my appreciation for her has reached new levels.

I really like M. Ward. He feels very Bob Dylan-esque while still having a style of his own.

I'm actually making concepts of a game that revolve includes this song and explores the song's theme. It just gets my creative juices flowing like crazy.

M. Ward opened for Neutral Milk Hotel here in Melbourne the other night - thought he was pretty cool! Great voice.

I'm a pretty big fan of NMH, and they were transcendent.

M. Ward opened for Neutral Milk Hotel here in Melbourne the other night - thought he was pretty cool! Great voice.

I'm a pretty big fan of NMH, and they were transcendent.

Whoah, just checked out NMH. Thanks for that, they are pretty good!

Now for some sweet beats from the legendary Nujabes.

Such a wonderful musician and human being, I still can't believe he passed away in 2010. R.I.B. (Rest in Beats)

Also, expect a lot of links to Nujabes and other trip-hop/rap artists. :x

It happened. Someone recommended Neutral Milk Hotel and the other person did not say "Oh yeah, I have 'Holland, 1945' on a mix-cd!"

Let the flood-gates open!

Now I get to recommend Neutral Milk Hotel to strangers again. The curse is broken!

I AM FREE!!

I saw Jeff Mangum at a music festival two summers ago. I was sitting around the middle of the field (outdoor park fest). Two songs into the set, he asked that all amplification, as well as the lighting, be turned off. No one beyond the first 5 rows of the audience could hear or see anything. Most disappointing live show I've ever been to. His recordings are great, but seriously, fuck that guy. If you don't want to perform to a crowd, don't tour. I wouldn't hold it against you. It's not like I didn't know the guy had some anxiety issues. If you are touring, don't pull that shit and alienate an entire festival of potential fans. You piss off way more people doing what he did than just saying "I regret I am unable to play tonight".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=001VqAwIDn0

I saw Jeff Mangum at a music festival two summers ago. I was sitting around the middle of the field (outdoor park fest). Two songs into the set, he asked that all amplification, as well as the lighting, be turned off. No one beyond the first 5 rows of the audience could hear or see anything. Most disappointing live show I've ever been to. His recordings are great, but seriously, fuck that guy. If you don't want to perform to a crowd, don't tour. I wouldn't hold it against you. It's not like I didn't know the guy had some anxiety issues. If you are touring, don't pull that shit and alienate an entire festival of potential fans. You piss off way more people doing what he did than just saying "I regret I am unable to play tonight".

Don't go to a Cat Power show.

I had a similar experience seeing Jeff Mangum, but it wasn't at a festival it was his own show. He got angry people were taking pictures on their phones.

I had a similar experience seeing Jeff Mangum, but it wasn't at a festival it was his own show. He got angry people were taking pictures on their phones.

What a hipster.

Hah, sounds like I got lucky, or maybe that he's gotten more comfortable with performing? There were posters up saying "the artist requests no photography" and the crowd actually complied, which was a nice surprise.