Wrestlevania

The Dancing Thumb (aka: music recommendations)

Boards of Canada streamed Tomorrow's Harvest a few hours ago on Youtube, which means a low quality version of the album will probably be hitting the web soon, or probably already is up.  I liked it, don't know what else to say though.

They're the kind of band I don't really want to listen to in low quality. I'll wait until I can get my hands on a proper copy and give it a whirl on my nice headphones.

So, the Barenaked Ladies did an AMA on Reddit yesterday.

This inspired me to actually check out their music, especially when I realized I had actually heard a few of their songs before.

For some reason, growing up I had assumed they were of the ilk of groups like Linkin Park or Limp Bizkit, and that really wasn't my cup of tea, so I stayed away. It turns out I couldn't have been more wrong, and I am really liking what I hear so far.

My copy of the new Queens of the Stone Age album "...Like Clockwork" arrived today.

It's different from their earlier albums, not as much hard, driving guitars and a much more somber overall feel to it. Where most of their earlier albums had a very hedonistic slant to them, this goes into more introspective territory at times.

I guess that quite a few fans will dislike this change, but after listening through the new songs a few times I'm quite pleased that we've not just gotten another "Songs for the deaf" or "Lullabies to paralyze". Sometimes, change really is for the better.

If anyone is interested, the band has released an animated "short film" set to clips of songs from the album, as well as a live show on Youtube.

Links below (If anyone could tell me how to do proper embeds I would be very thankful!) 

My copy of the new Queens of the Stone Age album "...Like Clockwork" arrived today.

It's different from their earlier albums, not as much hard, driving guitars and a much more somber overall feel to it. Where most of their earlier albums had a very hedonistic slant to them, this goes into more introspective territory at times.

I guess that quite a few fans will dislike this change, but after listening through the new songs a few times I'm quite pleased that we've not just gotten another "Songs for the deaf" or "Lullabies to paralyze". Sometimes, change really is for the better.

Yeah, I like ...Like Clockwork a lot. I've always enjoyed Queens of the Stone Age's quirky sound.

This year has been pretty great music-wise, with new albums from Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Daft Punk, and Queens of the Stone Age (among others). 

Also, here is some Finnish Jazz:

Got a late birthday present from my brother and sister-in-law today; Mastodon's "The Hunter" and "Blood Mountain".
Some great progressive metal!

Got a late birthday present from my brother and sister-in-law today; Mastodon's "The Hunter" and "Blood Mountain".

Some great progressive metal!

:eyebrow:

The Hunter is weird because it is them exploring a bunch of different genres and influences and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. It's a really cool record to hear as a fan of the band, but I'm not sure if it is their best front-to-back record. It feels like a rap mixtape more than a complete record.

As big a beast Dailor is behind the kit, I'm surprised how well he has transitioned to the slower Mastodon stuff. On the last two records, he has been able to play grooves and interesting beats. The song above is a great example of that. Also, the guy can actually sing.

Also, the new Boards of Canada released here early, and I've been giving it a spin. It's a great album, but not a huge departure from their previous work. It won't alienate any old fans, but it isn't likely to draw in a bigger crowd. Their music still has a great sense of space and elation. Wonderful drum programming, too.

That's a really good description of The Hunter.  It feels really mashed together, which is most likely because the first 4 albums were concept albums (The were trying to explore the four elements so Remission is Fire, Leviathan is Water, Blood Mountain is Earth, and Crack the Skye is Air) and this was their first album to just sort of do whatever they wanted.  I like a lot of the songs on it a lot, but as an actual album it's not nearly as strong as their others.  They have a new album coming out this year and I'm curious to see where they go with it.  Also yeah, Brann is a beast, imo one of the best drummers in the world not that making it a contest means anything.  

He is a great drummer and I think that his skill overshadows just how well he can fit into a song. The guy knows restraint, and isn't afraid to throw in a simple drum fill or a standard beat. 

Think about how powerful the drums are on 'The Ghost of Karelia', and how he is just hammering the snare at just the right time, giving this great, marching beat to the track.

Re-listening to the Hunter, it can be fun to play "guess the influence". 'Blasteroid' sounds like Torche, 'The Creature Lives' sounds like Pink Floyd, 'Black Tongue' sounds like High on Fire. It's cool to hear them jam all these ideas and trying to see how they fit. Hopefully on the next records they don't wear the influences so brazenly, so it feels like a cohesive piece of work inspired by various genres rather than "let's see if we can write this type of pop song". 

Been listening to a metric ton of Lis Er Stille recently. Really cool artsy rock outfit from Europe. Some of their stuff can be a bit overbearing if you're not heavy into that kind of music, but when they hit the nail on the head, they really smash the hell outta that nail. They did a live cover of John Lennon's "Jealous Guy" that I basically listen to on repeat all day every day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXcH2jeBElw

This is so fucking beautiful.

Remember people: Right now, all we've got is the Pale Blue Dot.

Also, after 8 years, the follow-up album from 'Jackson and His Computer Band' is being released in September:

People in the UK would know him from the sample of Utopia used on the O2 "bubbles" adverts:

It's a couple of months since I first posted about him, but I'm still mainly listening to Jan Johansson. When I first heard this one it just about brought a tear to my eye:

Jazz på ryska is a pretty great album, too:

Weirdly that video is, in a very broad sense, the opposite of what I've been picturing recently when listening to music. For a bunch of stuff I imagine a camera pushing very slowly forward through a fairly static scenario. There is no significance or interest to this. It's just a small coincidence.

Remember people: Right now, all we've got is the Pale Blue Dot.

Everyone who isn't a Mogwai fan complains that the music is too loud in this:

Fortunately I'm a Mogwai fan.

(For those who do find it bothersome, though, I do recommend watching another version, such as

. The words are well worth hearing.)

I'm glad you agree. Of course, this was his finest composition:

I'm being humorous.

Pippi Långstrump is glorious. Well, anything by Astrid Lindgren really.