Wrestlevania

The Dancing Thumb (aka: music recommendations)

I continue to be a fan of Philter.

So that wonderful composition at the end of "Ballad of Fallen Angels" episode of Cowboy Bebop was apparently a composition done especially for the episode. You listen to it on youtube of course:

BA DA

BA DA

BA DA

BA DA

BA

DAAAAA

(thats how the theme tune to cowboy bebop goes in my head)

Fantastic cover of a decent Modest Mouse song. Like most good covers it's almost unrecognisable from the original. The lyrics just seem way more interesting when he sings them, or if not interesting just far more adult. 

New iwrestledabearonce cd is super good.  I totally thought they were going to break up (their vocalist got pregnant and had to leave the band), but they managed to get a new vocalist and are still good.

Steve Gaynor's tweets about This Charming Man got me listening to The Smiths again.  Thanks, Steve.

Fantastic cover of a decent Modest Mouse song. Like most good covers it's almost unrecognisable from the original. The lyrics just seem way more interesting when he sings them, or if not interesting just far more adult. 

I'm pretty sure that Mark Kozelek/Sun Kil Moon did a whole album of Modest Mouse covers... I never got into the Sun Kil Moon stuff but Red House Painters are amazing.

On that note, there is a new Sebadoh album. So many new albums from 90s bands this year. 

Yeah, they did one called Tiny Cities. It's alright, I just particularly liked that version of Space Travel is Boring because the original song is, imo, one of Modest Mouse's weaker songs and they just seem to do way more with it. I was told to listen to Red House Painters based on my obsession with  interest in Modest Mouse, but nothing ever really stuck for me unfortunately. 

If you like Modest Mouse there's a band called Small Leaks Sink Ships from Phoenix, AZ which admit (and it's clear in their newer stuff) they're heavily influenced by MM.

I was incredibly close to seeing them when I was travelling in the US, and only missed out by 1 day so I was heartbroken. 

I was told to listen to Red House Painters based on my obsession with  interest in Modest Mouse, but nothing ever really stuck for me unfortunately. 

Weird, I don't think those bands sound much alike at all.

Man every time the Vampire Weekend put out a new album I sneer at it with utter contempt, and then it turns out to be great and I can't help but like it. I'm the lamest. 

Also this came out way earlier in the year but I still can't get over what a great song it is. Cool video also.

Queens of the Stone Age + a dash of Nouvelle Vague = Brilliant!

This is amazing!

Also this came out way earlier in the year but I still can't get over what a great song it is. Cool video also.

This too!!

All i've been listening to for the last three days is Phil Fish' mixes on 8tracks.com

http://8tracks.com/polytronaut

It's really good shit

Also, i wouldn't be surprised if these were the types of visuals we would have expected from the now cancelled FEZ 2 :SadFez:

81861.original.jpg

2639.original.png

I really appreciate the aesthetic ideas behind psychedelic music, but haven't really explored those genres as much as I'd like. Tame Impala seems like a really good starting place.

If you are in range of WUOG, they used to do a pretty good job of putting a lot of that stuff on the air.