Wrestlevania

The Dancing Thumb (aka: music recommendations)

I was delighted to discover that Telepopmusik has just released a new EP — once my go-to electronica artists alongside Royksopp — after putting out virtually no new material in almost a decade. I was then immediately disappointed that it only contains two new tracks, and the rest are remixes of those same ones. I hope this is leading towards a new album, but it's some very good shit regardless.

ttps://soundcloud.com/telepopmusiktm/fever

(last EP)

Yeah about a month ago? She's on this track, maybe they've recorded a new ep/album and she's just interested in touring

New pixies song :o

Further confirmation that I'm completely out of the loop when it comes to music.

This is completely out of the blue and very recent, so you are actually very trendy being savy to this info

I've got a broken face a ha a ha a ha a ha ooooooo I've got a broken face

Quick! Everybody! What is your all-time favorite Pixies song? Or top 3?

For me it's 
1. Velouria

2. Debaser

3.  Wave of Mutilation (UK Surf Mix)

SPECIAL MENTION FOR THE FIRST 40 SECONDS OF MANTA RAY.

Chained (just realised this song is actually called 'hey')

Alec eiffel

Crack crack crackity jones wup wup

Watching the smashing pumpkins on Glastonbury. God damn I love that man

This is easily one of my favourite song

I might dig out my zero shirt for tomorrow

The new Pixies song is bad and I can't see why they went "oh wow, this underwhelming cut is definitely the way we should break out musical silence". 

I ask of ye a boon that is double:

First, a place to find ye old timey internet radio streams and a good piece o software or even a website on which to listen to such. Used to use Itunes for this, but really, fuck Itunes.

Second, a music recommendation site. Me tastes in yonder art of the heavens and airwaves known as music are both eclectic and yet highly selective, and any such music recommendation I've tried such as tuneglue and pandora has turned up what may be called a steaming pile of bullshit. I have however found that Goodreads.com seems to actually work well enough for finding novels I might enjoy, and so have hope a similar site may recommend music with as much veracity.

And so far, by the way, Youtube has actually been the absolute best music recommendation site I've hit upon.

http://still-single.tumblr.com/

http://www.yellowgreenred.com/

Some pals from my primary message board review records. In the past I've trashed some records for SS. Genre coverage is wide, but trends obscure by any reasonable definition.

2013 Early Favorites, first 4 are on Spotify, which incidentally is my software recommendation. Free desktop app, with commercials, $9 a month commercial free & mobile.

Daughn Gibson - Me Moan (dusty, country tinged crooning. a bit nick cave, a bit chris issak)

Connections - Private Airplane (all the best parts of Guided By Voices records)

Waxahatchee - Cerulean Salt (dark female singer/songwriter that evolved into bit more of a full band. sort of 90s)

Oblivians - new one (best booze soaked Memphis garage back with a bang)

Tony Mollina - Dissed and Dismissed (Replacements or Weezer fans)

Magic Circle - s/t (the best new Sabbath record)

Framtid - Defeat of Civilization (steamrollering Japanese crust/noise)

2EN1's new single came out. They are going to release a music video every month through October. I'm psyched.

I'm listening to Kanye West's new album and it's thought provoking, but not in the ways that I think he intended. His obsessive use of female objectification as a metaphor for his racial relationship with American consumer culture is getting kinda akward.

I enjoy hearing his perspective on independence and empowerment, but the only ways he seems to be able to express it is by referencing a sexual relationship of submission and dominance or by using terms of ownership and property.

Anyone else have thoughts on this aspect of his music? I enjoy it, but I feel like I enjoy it as a subject for study rather than solidarity and participation.

His music itself is pretty great. I really appreciate his skill in making lo-fi high-fi and the other way around.

Second, a music recommendation site. Me tastes in yonder art of the heavens and airwaves known as music are both eclectic and yet highly selective, and any such music recommendation I've tried such as tuneglue and pandora has turned up what may be called a steaming pile of bullshit. I have however found that Goodreads.com seems to actually work well enough for finding novels I might enjoy, and so have hope a similar site may recommend music with as much veracity.

And so far, by the way, Youtube has actually been the absolute best music recommendation site I've hit upon.

The only method I've had success with (with the exception of just increasing exposure to new stuff and hoping i like a few) is looking up bands, song writers and band members who I like on wikipedia and then tracing their other projects. It doesn't always work but it's the most reliable method for myself.

I've found some pretty good stuff on tastekid.com, which from what I can tell basically does the Wikipedia hunting based on artists you like for you.

With that said, most of the stuff I've grown to love during the past few years came from regularly perusing 'post sweet songs' threads on here and other forums.

Something that might work better for you than wikipedia is the monster resource of http://www.discogs.com

Gargantuan database of bands, releases, versions, etc. Fairly meticulously crowd reviewed and edited. It also works as a want list and marketplace, and sometimes samples. 

Something that might work better for you than wikipedia is the monster resource of http://www.discogs.com

Gargantuan database of bands, releases, versions, etc. Fairly meticulously crowd reviewed and edited. It also works as a want list and marketplace, and sometimes samples. 

This is nice. Thanks.