ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

Trailers for TWE reminded me of Sir, You are Being Hunted.  Or at least the Thumbs stream of it.  Killer robots, jumping over fences, booze bottles being thrown.

Just watched the Graham norton show (uk chat show) with Harrison Ford and Dominic Cumberbatch as guests. It never actually passed my mind but brilliantly Graham asked them both if they were in the new star wars. They joked about it and deflected the question but no denials. I wouldn't be surprised if they had been briefed on the question. Cumberbatch was doing wookie impressions for gods sake.

Anyway, Cumberbatch in Star Wars confirmed :tup:

I hope he isn't the blatant bad guy in the first film, it would be such a waste. I can see him as the Sirius Snape of the Jedi academy

What did I write?..., god damn it. Close enough. That's a very difficult name to remember after a bottle of vino

Hard to expect much good out of the new Star Wars after the Star Trek films :(

I'm not so pessimistic. I think J.J.'s storytelling abilities are much better suited to the Star Wars universe than it was to Star Trek. With a good script (and I have no reason to doubt Arndt) I have hopes for something.. at least competently entertaining.

I'm already burning out on Cumberbatch, which is surprising since he's really only just started. I loved him in Sherlock, but was thoroughly unimpressed by his Khan. And for some reason, I'm beginning to grow to dislike his voice.

In other news, saw Gravity in Imax, absolutely thrilling. I wasn't emotionally touched so much as extremely, thoroughly entertained. So much that the time flew by. This film is just making the damn smartest choices at every turn. Cuaron REALLY knew what he wanted out of this. Fantastic.

Gravity was awesome visually, and a thrilling ride! Not perfect, but likely the best movie I've seen recently. I regret not seeing it in IMAX, but I think we don't even have that in Tallinn (I think there will be one soon).

The problem with khan wasn't cumberbatch as much as the 5 minutes he was in the movie

5 minutes of being a villain really isn't enough. A hundred minutes of Kirk looking kind of dumbfounded is way too much. I blame the writers, god Orci is awful. Star Trek (Abrams first one) was the best Star Wars movie since Return of the Jedi, and just as good as, if not even a tiny bit better than Return really. That's despite the writing, not because of it.

Gravity was awesome visually, and a thrilling ride! Not perfect, but likely the best movie I've seen recently. I regret not seeing it in IMAX, but I think we don't even have that in Tallinn (I think there will be one soon).

I love how it rarely ever exploits any of the material for cheap thrills or melodrama. Apart from the one scene, you know the one:

Clooney popping up again in the Soyuz capsule, which was the most 'movie' thing to happen, but also goddamn effective. Apart from that, no flashbacks, no all too heroic oneliners, no false drama regarding the catalysing event in the beginning (the Russian rocket exploding), and no more than three live people in the movie at full.

Saw Gravity. I love Gravity. YEAH! Great movie. The bit with the physics bothered me quite a bit while it was happening, but once it ended, I stopped caring.

The Star Trek movies are great dumb action movies. Both of 'em!

FOYLE'S WAR IS THE BEST

I honestly have no idea if I've recommended it in this thread before, but I'm just catching up on the latest series now.

(It's a World War 2 period mystery series) SO GOOD.

FOYLE'S WAR IS THE BEST

I honestly have no idea if I've recommended it in this thread before, but I'm just catching up on the latest series now.

(It's a World War 2 period mystery series) SO GOOD.

I just watched an episode with David Tennant the other day, he was so young.

I had no idea that The Drifting Classroom ever got a (very, very loose) movie adaptation, directed by the same guy who did Hausu and starring Troy Fucking Donahue for some goddamn reason. Apparently this was never released on DVD, but I must nonetheless make it my life's work to find it.

Guhhh, The Drifting Classroom is an amazing manga. Totally worth anyone's time. I am now going to watch that trailer.

Children's Hospital is continuing its incredible run. If you like funny things, you should watch that show. Due to some of the key people involved, the show is like Wet Hot American Summer in ten minute form. The talent that is involved in the show is incredible. Start at season 2, because season 1 is a little rough.

Watched the new episode of the walking dead last night :tup:

Very slight spoilers

There was a small part in the episode where Michonne was looking at a map of Macon... was it just an easter egg or is the TV series and video game going to cross over.

If they're not going to use Clementine in the second series of the game they should 100% have her turn up in the TV series

Also, those "on the next episode" trailers can go fuck right off.

The TV show is a separate universe from the comics. A different take on the same story with some of the same characters. As far as I know, the game is the same universe as the comics. (Or, at least, that was the original intention?)

If Clementine did show up in the TV show, it would be a weird thing.

I forget we have a whole second season of the game with a whole new rooster of charters they can cross over with. Or perhaps I'm looking at it the wrong way round and it's actually fan favourite michonne turning up and slicing some heads off in the game. That makes way more sense

Okay, so I gave up on the show mid-way through last season because it was just a bunch of boring people talking and arranging weird fighting matches surrounded by toothless zombies. Is it very different at this point?

Um, this first episode was good. It's like 6 months later so its a bit of a clean slate. Lots of new faces... To get eaten. I'd recommend jumping back in. It's pretty obvious they're going to have to evacuate the prison soon so it should be a bit more energetic this season

In fact this programme constantly surprises me with how good it is, or maybe I just go in with low expectations.

Awesome avatar :)