ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

I also would have preferred that. I kind of wish they'd just take Chronicles and make a TV show out of it.

It'd be a fun world to explore.

Onto other dumb sci-fi! I finished up Stargate: Atlantis last night. Man, I forgot how disappointing and rushed that ending felt. How lame.

Then I watched the first episode of Stargate: Universe. Man, I forgot how exciting that first episode was. How sad that I know I didn't like the first season. Maybe I'll like it more this time around. Loved the second season, though, and was sad as shit when it was cancelled just as it was getting good.

The ending to Atlantis is the worst.

They don't show the space battle between the 2 Earth ships and the super hive.  They also don't show Atlantis doing the crazy gate jump thing to arrive at Earth.  For a series like that not to show those things is just criminal.  Not to mention the complete lack of real resolution and unanswered questions.

I think the plan was to follow Atlantis up with movies in the same way as SG-1, but that's clearly never going to happen, so we're stuck with an unsatisfying ending.

So last night I watched The Dark Knight Returns Parts 1 & 2. I read the comic years ago and hated it, and while this was significantly better it still had a lot of the same problems. The hilarious strawman-level political discussions of Batman by talking heads on TV screens (my favourite being the new-agey-psychobabble-spouting psychologist that we're clearly supposed to disagree with despite being demonstrably correct in the context of the story), the cartoonishly ugly spam-faced people contrasted with the perfectly normal ones for no reasons, the stupid Bat-Tank, everything.

Man I am liking Stargate: Universe a whole fuck of a lot more than I did the first time around. It's not perfect, but it's pretty good sci-fi TV, eh. In a lot of ways, it's among my favorite sci-fi TV! Normally I separate Stargate from the rest, because it's so cheesy and dumb the majority of the time, but SGU takes itself pretty seriously, and does so pretty successfully, I think!

The only parts I think I dislike are the communication stones. They can get really... awkward. When a person on the ship swaps bodies with a person back on Earth, and ship-person then goes and sleeps with their significant other in a body that isn't theirs...

It's questionable.

But it also leads up to one of my favorite dynamics - Young vs Telford.

HOO BOY STARGATE GUYS YEAH STARGATE

I want new Stargate. I was so sad when Universe ended the first time. I'm even sadder now, knowing it's only two seasons long. ):

I didn't really start to get into Universe until the second season, which is a shame since it ended there.  I'm not a big fan of BSG so at first I didn't really like that Universe was trying to follow that mold.  But it quickly became its own thing and while I missed my stupid gimmicky episodes and nonsensical sci-fi gibberish Universe proved it has some interesting stories to tell and good characters to tell them with.  I should probably watch it again.

Oh dang! First episode with the blue aliens. It's the blue aliens and what happened with Chloe that I think made me really dislike Universe the first time around. LET'S SEE HOW IT GOES THIS TIME.

I'll just dump this here.

I read recently that this has been born out of the cancelled Star Wars 1313 game

And you think that in 1977 they couldn't figure out how to make a remote controlled robot articulate itself, so they just put a dwarf in there.

Someone explain to me why this guy plays three different characters in the Stargate franchise? One in each series? I get that maybe he was affordable or adequate for what they want or they liked working with him, but goddamn.

Someone explain to me why this guy plays three different characters in the Stargate franchise? One in each series? I get that maybe he was affordable or adequate for what they want or they liked working with him, but goddamn.

Fan buzz is that his Stargate: Atlantis character was supposed to be brought back if the series got renewed, but it didn't, so they made a new role for him on Stargate: Universe. It seems a little silly, but maybe they did like working with him?

Yeah. It's just, man, it's hard enough getting used to prolific actors across different franchises in completely different settings (sci-fi versus realistic settings versus whatever), but when they appear in three separate contexts as three different characters all withint he same series...

Oh, well.

Yeah. It's just, man, it's hard enough getting used to prolific actors across different franchises in completely different settings (sci-fi versus realistic settings versus whatever), but when they appear in three separate contexts as three different characters all withint he same series...

Oh, well.

I totally get you. Ben Browder will always be John Crichton from Farscape and it's super weird seeing him in anything else sci-fi. The fact that they make fun of that in Stargate at least once is even weirder.

Haha yeah so good.

I especially like that Ben Browder didn't play Ben Browder's role.

That scene was originally going to have Ben Browder reprise John Crichton, but he and Michael Shanks decided to switch it up because they felt it would be more amusing and unexpected.  Plus Browder was excited to be able to play Stark.

Are there any cyberpunk movies that aren't action movies, horror movies, or thrillers?

Are there any cyberpunk movies that aren't action movies, horror movies, or thrillers?

Brazil is sort of cyberpunk. I don't know if THX-1138 counts as a thriller or as cyberpunk but it exists. I'm not sure if I'd quite count the Ghost in the Shell movies as action movies, although maybe they are. Blade Runner is not at all an action film I'd say, but I guess someone could disagree. I haven't seen A Scanner Darkly but maybe it fits. Paprika maybe counts. Alphaville might count although maybe it's too much of a thriller.

A Scanner Darkly isn't an action movie or horror movie or thriller... but I'm not quite sure I would consider it "cyberpunk"? I guess I'm not really heavy into cyberpunk styled things, but A Scanner Darkly seemed like... well, like a modern day setting with a couple of pieces of new tech. It didn't strike me as particularly cyberpunk. 

All that said, I really did like A Scanner Darkly.