Jake

Twin Peaks Rewatch 41: The Return, Part 7

Good to see Doc Hayward again. Love that he starts the scene by saying that he couldn't remember what he ate for breakfast and then ends if by painstakingly detailing what he had for breakfast. Thoughts on that? Just a goof?

I think it was an inside joke between Mark Frost and his father. Warren Frost, Doc, was suffering from alzheimer's in real life.

The high density of plot points in this episode has oddly given me more appreciation for the slower paced, mood-building stretches of previous episodes - I'm thinking ep6 especially but maybe that's all down to those long close-ups of Coop's drawings. Anyways yeah variable pacing is good; I'm glad the show got 18 episodes and can take its time instead of having to hurry through 9.

Great episode. Lots of detail. Things are in motion, plenty confirmed, and a few more mysteries. Plus another gross Renault, and some Lynchian audio creeping into Sleepwalk over the credits. That was unsettling.

One question: There's this guy who busts into the RR diner near the end of the episode asking if anyone had seen Bing, and Riley Lynch is credited as Bing, but who was Bing? Was he the guy Andy was talking to who asked him to meet later and never showed? Or someone obvious I missed? Was Bing the guy at the diner asking about Bing as a joke? I'm confused here.

One thing that stood out to me and hasn't yet been mentioned was during the brief establishing shot of the FBI jet on its way to South Dakota the windows on the side seemed to be blinking in and out of existence...? (at timestamp 21:27) Is there some kind of encoded message there?

35 minutes ago, Cathadan said:

One thing that stood out to me and hasn't yet been mentioned was during the brief establishing shot of the FBI jet on its way to South Dakota the windows on the side seemed to be blinking in and out of existence...? (at timestamp 21:27) Is there some kind of encoded message there?

Oh good, so it wasn't just me. My wife didn't notice it, and when I exclaimed, "Uhhhhhhh, WHAT?!" I had to point it out.

I can't decide if it's deliberate, or just a visual effects glitch that Lynch liked and kept.

I thought that was just the sunlight reflecting off the windows, but on second look.. wtf? 

Could still be reflections, the camera is moving while the plane is turning and banking, there are a lot of factors which could explain the bizarre pattern it appears to have. I don't know. Brain expects reflections to be more uniform, and not hitting both sides of something but not the middle, like some of the windows on the plane here. Can't make sense of it.

Bad Coop/Mr. C and Audrey being Richard's parents seems like a lot when known philanderers Ben and Jerry Horne are still kicking around.

2 hours ago, pyide said:

I thought that was just the sunlight reflecting off the windows, but on second look.. wtf? 

Could still be reflections, the camera is moving while the plane is turning and banking, there are a lot of factors which could explain the bizarre pattern it appears to have. I don't know. Brain expects reflections to be more uniform, and not hitting both sides of something but not the middle, like some of the windows on the plane here. Can't make sense of it.

Posted in error - should be making notes elsewhere first.  Sorry!

Edited by Vellan
Accidentally posted.

Re. Brigg's body - is it possible BadCoop somehow used Briggs body to 'power' the creation of Dougie? Or as a vessel to copy-paste into? That wedding ring found in his stomach (from the 'spiritual' finger) could be a some sort of calling card - BOB used to leave letters under nails and seemingly wants someone to put the jigsaw together - or it could be a talisman used to tie his physical being to Dougie. Hell, I'm just rambling.

Hot takes:

- When AutoCoop (a new Cooper?! ;) ) took over and throat-chopped Ike I literally jumped in the air and excitedly yelled to my wife in the other room "COOPER JUST DID SOMETHING!" Then I skipped back to show her. Then I had to explain wtf the tree-head thing is.

- This episode spent a lot of time explicitly explaining stuff from the past. Maybe this is Frynch's nod to new viewers, but it's a welcome change of pace after all the unexplained shenanigans. Annie gets name-checked - I'm steering clear of castlists but I thought Heather Graham wasn't appearing. Hawk and Truman both seem pretty cool with the Lodge stuff but Annie's the only person to come out alive. I imagine she's got to turn up at some point.

- I loved the Skype call. My mind went to poo (thanks Important If True!) when Doc mentioned brown trout in his pyjamas.

- When Ashley Judd left the room and the camera zoomed in to the corner, I immediately thought of Josie. Did she die in the hotel or at the Packard Mill?

- Some pretty dark BadCoop implications with Diane and Audrey.

- I'm now very happy whenever the credits don't roll over a band in the Roadhouse.

A great episode. I give it two peaks.

Didn't Audrey have that secret crawl space type area in the walls around Ben's office? The humming in the walls made me thing of that. Considering the office doesn't appear to have been remodeled in the last 25 years it's plausible nobody ever found it. 

This episode was great, it ploughed through so much satisfying stuff. It also changed my tune on Diane. I wasn't keen on giving her a presence, but she's fantastic.

So, I haven't heard anyone mention yet the person who walked down the hall at the Buckhorn police station/morgue while the military lady (can't remember her name) was on the phone discussing the Major Briggs situation.  Nice and creepy Lynchian bit, but any ideas or theories?

8 hours ago, Brother John said:

Loved the fact that we ended at the double R, but the creepy music that kept trying to overcome the jazzy song gave me a bad feeling

That track at the end "sleepwalk" was the theme song for the 90s Stephen King movie Sleepwalkers which also starred Madchen Amick

I loved the character moment between Gordon & Albert where Gordon hopefully asks if Albert will still come with him to meet Diane.

Seems odd that Briggs might not have aged from having been in the White Lodge, but Goodcoop did while he was in the Black Lodge/Waiting Room, but then maybe the rules are different?

Could the figure in the background of the Buckhorn Police Station have been the tar-hobo?  I couldn't really make out much detail.

Also, I really like that Sheriff Frank Truman is shown talking to Harry at regular intervals. The best guess is that Harry is going to die from whatever his illness is, as a way of writing off Harry's character during the course of the season, for some dramatic effect.  This was, of course, necessitated by Michael Ontkean's apparent lack of willingness to do the show (it has been reported he is retired from acting).

However, I have a hopeful theory. Lynch and Frost do not kill him off, but rather it is left at the end of this season with some hope of recovery.  That way, they leave the door open to Ontkean's return as Harry in the event there are more seasons of Twin Peaks in the future. (Although, I hasten to add, I really am enjoying the Frank Truman character in his stead).

Just saw a screengrab, the shadowy figure in the background at the Police Station is definitely the tar hobo from the prison cell in Episode 2.

19peaks-recap2-superJumbo.jpg

Edited by BonusWavePilot
Corrected referenced episode number

• Jake, I bet you ate up two older gentlemen exchanging Skype handles and a computer monitor embedded in a desk.
  • So tar hobo, that's the name we've got? I can roll with that. I figured it was him walking down the hall out of focus, and it really freaked me out. I loved it!
  • No-good Renaults still doing their part to keep the trade going.
  • *Laura Dern was really good, "what's your name?"
  • *Of course, loved bad-ass Coop

This is going to need a rewatch.

8 hours ago, ddennism said:

My favorite scene was the Ike the Spike attack scene, especially its True Crime docudrama aftermath. 

I wonder if Dougie's fame will spread on the Internet and Hawk will find him in a Vine or something. :P

I really enjoyed this episode. I laughed out loud several times. Favourite bit:

Gordon: BUT YOU'LL GO WITH ME?

Albert: Say please.

Gordon: WHAT?

Albert: You heard me.

Gordon: [...] Please.

There's also the really dark stuff, like the implication that Bad Coop assaulted Audrey and Diane. If we accept that Leland is at least partially responsible for abusing Laura then I think we have to accept that even our beloved Coop has a dark side. Bob is doesn't feed off anything that isn't there already, I think.

47 minutes ago, TurboPubx-16 said:

There's also the really dark stuff, like the implication that Bad Coop assaulted Audrey and Diane. If we accept that Leland is at least partially responsible for abusing Laura then I think we have to accept that even our beloved Coop has a dark side. Bob is doesn't feed off anything that isn't there already, I think.

This reading seems to ignore that Bob was "inhabiting" regular Leland while he's now inhabiting Coop's doppelganger, which is clearly a character separate from regular Coop.