Jake

Twin Peaks Rewatch 41: The Return, Part 7

One thing that I'm not clear in is, was it the Arm that told DougieCoop to squeeze Ike's hand off? To me it seemed more like the Arm's doppelganger, but it was such a brief shot I wasn't sure. Everyone seems to have accepted that it was the Arm itself, but they look so similar I'm not sure. And really, that violent solution seems outside the Arm's wheelhouse, I'd be more inclined to believe the DoppelArm said it.

My take was that it was the Arm (which I recall having a pinkish hue).  The doppelganger arm, IIRC, was more of a yellowish hue.  Also, seemed like the doppelganger arm was antagonistic towards GoodCoop, throwing him out of the lodge and in harm's way (the one-armed man said this wasn't supposed to happen, right?).  So, I just assumed it was the "regular" Arm, trying to help GoodCoop survive, much in the same way that the one-armed man is trying to do the same (wake up, don't die).  The end goal is to have GoodCoop survive and for BadCoop to die/Bob to return to the black lodge. That's my working theory, anyhow.

30 minutes ago, wbarnes4393 said:

So, I just assumed it was the "regular" Arm, trying to help GoodCoop survive, much in the same way that the one-armed man is trying to do the same (wake up, don't die).

Right, I should've said but I assumed that if it was the DoppelArm then it was trying to take advantage of DougieCoop's state and incite some violence. To what end I'm not sure, but equally why would the regular Arm need to make Coop squeeze Ike's hand off? The advice to me makes more sense as the DoppelArm trying to get DougieCoop to do something that will lead to trouble.

Yeah, I have to admit.  When it first happened, I wasn't sure which one the arm was trying to help - Ike or GoodCoop.  I guess we shall see.....

Hiya, I'm new. I started rewatching Twin Peaks recently and in a search for podcasts, found Twin Peaks Rewatch, of all things. AND you both turned out to be so smart and savvy and fun to listen to. Lucky 7 me!

I avoided posting because my random thoughts would be buried among so many eagle-eyed viewers and clever speculators. But after part 7, I haven't marshaled my thoughts yet, but I'm thinking about doppelgängers. Big Electric Brain Trees, good and bad, baby Electric Brian Tree. Three little boys (Lynch doesn't seem to be interested in little girls much; ugh, that came out wrong)--one neglected but curious and resourceful, one wise and interior-focused (who may or may not exist); one innocent and playful and dead. I'm thinking about brothers--the Hornes, the Renaults, the Trumans. Are we all images of the connections we make, or are we informed and shaped by those connections, or both, or what?

There is a wonderful Agatha Christie book about a complicated murder that could have been resolved easily had the detective (I believe it was Poirot) simply questioned the maid. The fiendish idea was that the humble servant wasn't worth bothering with as she was, if you will, below suspicion. ( The title of a cheesy but entertaining John Dickson Carr mystery.) The title is "Why Didn't They Ask Evans"? I don't know where Lynch or Frost stand on Christie but I don't think nomenclature in Lynch's work, in particular, is accidental.

I could swear the Baby Electric Brain Tree said "Freeze his hand!" so the scrape of meat "frozen" to the gun made sense to me. Take "made sense" in its context.

I just found out that there isn't going to be a new episode on the 2nd.  What's up with that?  If they're all already in the can, why would there be any skipped weeks?

18 minutes ago, Gailbraithe said:

I just found out that there isn't going to be a new episode on the 2nd.  What's up with that?  If they're all already in the can, why would there be any skipped weeks?

July 4th weekend, I guess? I haven't checked to see if Showtime has any special programming that day......

1 hour ago, Gailbraithe said:

Welp, just checked.  During Twin Peaks time on July 2, they are showing a 2016 movie, Free State of Jones.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think people are jumping to a ton of conclusions with the "cooper raped diane" theory. I didn't consider that at all when I saw that scene. We know that whatever happened that night, it cause a fallout not just between Diane and Cooper, but with Diane and the entire FBI. It doesn't make sense to me that her being assaulted by Cooper would make her hate Gordon and Albert. 

Also, I think it's kinda ridiculous that people are getting offended at the writing of the show based on fan theories with little basis, wait to see if it's actually in the show to have an opinion about it.

5 hours ago, purps said:

I think people are jumping to a ton of conclusions with the "cooper raped diane" theory. I didn't consider that at all when I saw that scene. We know that whatever happened that night, it cause a fallout not just between Diane and Cooper, but with Diane and the entire FBI. It doesn't make sense to me that her being assaulted by Cooper would make her hate Gordon and Albert. 

Unless, of course, she went to Gordon about it and was told to Quiet Down, Dear. I'm not saying it's a theory I'm 100% sure on myself, but it's still possible.

2 hours ago, pabosher said:

Unless, of course, she went to Gordon about it and was told to Quiet Down, Dear. I'm not saying it's a theory I'm 100% sure on myself, but it's still possible.

If that were the case, doesn't that seem like something Diane would have brought up when Gordon came to ask for her help?  Also Gordon's question to Diane after her meeting with Evil Cooper would be a really dumb question if Diane had previously told Gordon about being raped by Cooper.

9 hours ago, purps said:

I am in agreement with this. Also, having EvilCoop running around raping Audrey, Annie, and Diane would just be super-lazy and uninspired writing, so I am really hoping that it is not the case.

Catching up this week on the last few eps. Thoughts before listening to Rewatch:

• Huge exposition dump with Hawk at the start. Didn't like it.

• Skype product placement? Felt jarring - Robot transforming desk after that was a great anachronistic touch though.

• Creepy electrical sounding guy in hallway where they examine Briggs' body. Hair reminded me of badcoop, but Isnt he in prison? I can't help but think the black monster from ep 1/2 is involved.

• Diane says she has no cigarettes but there's a box on the table in front of Cole

• Really liked Diane's part during/after the interview with Badcoop

• The shots of misty forested mountains with sinister season 1 music were a strong callback. Andy has a Rolex. Electrical buzzing at the truck owner's house. Also looks like his door has no handle. He seemed really worried about talking to Andy at his house. Not sure why.

• Badcoop's blackmail conversation: Talk about "a strawberry" - "The dog leg. That dog had 4 legs. One you found in my trunk. The other three went out with the information you're thinking about right now to people you don't want coming around here if anything bad happens to me" Joe McLusky? The late Mr Strawberry.
    Whatever it was, it seemed to convince the warden to let him escape from prison.

• Cops at Dougie's work - the way the third one laughed on the way out was hilarious. Also, Jerry Horne and Dougie both "lost their car" in this episode.

• Holy shit the assassin scene! Cooper FBI reflexes are in there somewhere.

• Eerie focus on the lamp in the corner at the Great Northern. Reminds me of the red room

• Beverly and Tom Paige - new characters. I feel like there could be something good there. The acting was well done.

• Sweeping scene at the roadhouse was GREAT

• Guy looking for "Billy" in the diner at the end. I've got no idea who that could be

• Was it Bobby Briggs sitting in the foreground during credits? Facing away from the camera.