atte

[Release] And That's Why The Skeleton Farts That Way

https://atteo.itch.io/and-thats-why

I'm going to update a lot of things (and fix stuff, like fullscreen bugs now) but this is already a late entry so here is this first version.

---------------------------------------------------------------

And That's Why Skeletons Fart That Way - A fake folktale game infused with some random Thumbs memes and lore. I'm now trying to plan step by step what the story/progression exactly is - after that I guess I have to figure out what the gameplay includes. I think it's going to be somewhat like Bogost in the Shell - light puzzles and interactivity that makes the world feel and look interesting to the player. (Speaking of BitS, with previous wiz jam games I had the opportunity to work full time on them, this time I don't, so I can't do something quite as densely packed).

Without really thinking, the first thing I made was this -

kingGobb.jpg.99a5b9dbffd75860f0c4b8b30333cd45.jpg

- and here's some more initial sketches.

ThatsWhyStuff2.thumb.jpg.41b1a8d7b8964bfd4814bb4a9cf252bd.jpg

Wow, atte!

Have you considered foregoing a game this time and just focusing on a set of framed prints or maybe a illustrated storybook? :P

21 hours ago, Mythalore said:

Have you considered foregoing a game this time and just focusing on a set of framed prints or maybe a illustrated storybook? :P

:lol: Well, the game part in this is still very hazy,  this might end up being somekind of a clumsy interactive picturebook where you can talk with puffins and dot gobblers (which would be fine, but I try to cram some action in there too).

Today's stuff:

ThatsWhyStuff4.thumb.jpg.5fb61438594a81582b45f598e95d4572.jpgThatsWhyStuff3.thumb.jpg.621cd2fd3bde57fca11c90ea79f14e85.jpg

Thank you! I think all (or most) art in the game will be monochrome, it fits the old folktale mood and saves me time when I don't have to stress about colour. Here's new things:

dock.thumb.JPG.249a5b5ed106ddf4b261b99625eee4ac.JPG

stash.thumb.JPG.da6b899b3b1d558b0ba47b22dd1d1677.JPG

burialMouth.jpg.ca2c33a686c59e5e84441df7d5b4e1a8.jpg

These are all off the damn charts! Shout-out to the horse-bag, and also the mildly-irate Treasure Goblin.

Thanks! Here's a rough framework for the game/world - soon I really have to start building something in GameMaker so I have a .exe in the end and not just a folder full of jpgs.

world.thumb.jpg.9b66fd4e9464398112fc6ebfd9c7c427.jpg

Seeing all of those awesome drawings connected is even nicer. Can't wait to play!

I really love the style and world building. honestly, if you pitched me on something so referential cold, I'd probably think I wouldn't be into it. you really made this your own though. I love it. 

:o Atte! Why have you been depriving us of your non-pixel art for so long! This is so exceedingly good looking.

The game is slowly but steadily coming together but I need some extra time for this (= not uploading anything for the deadline). Slapping together pseudo point&click adventure game mechanics was not as easy as I had foolishly imagined and I should have designed something even smaller in scope to begin with, but anyway, it will be finished soon, it will be strange and I'm excited to share it with you.

introBG.jpg.6a2b8cf46ee1a6976c0bb3fbad0849de.jpg

gob.gif.cce7b2d231b6223cc98100745731baf5.gif

tgw.gif.a71290038440d7adc5d3b99fbd3e8e8c.gif

The hand-drawn style is lovely, the music's really nice and the dialogue's cute! I'm stuck at the moment, but the puzzle I solved was very cool:

I solved the toad thing, which was a nice puzzle in itself but also a really cool callback to the whole Pause Theme From BattleToads thing! I'm currently stuck on getting into the Dot Gobbler cave though. I assume I have to click on the letters to spell believe, and I've tried that so many different ways! I've been in the room with the poster, in case that's a gate. I even tried with my controller and num pad in case you were getting meta! I don't seem to be able to use any of my inventory or find anything else to pick up...

Got past it and finished, and really enjoyed the game! The ending was very funny! I'm guessing that a puzzle which is alluded to but not included was cut for time?

A hint for people stuck in the same place I was, as atte confirmed on Slack it is not glitchy:

You have to answer the gobbler poster's question

I really liked the atmosphere in this. The game feels very cohesive since everything has about the same level of detail. Also, nice job on having instant screen transitions when you click to go to the next area.

Puzzle spoilers:

Spoiler

I admit I brute forced the first puzzle by just randomly hitting the buttons. I had no idea the frogs were connected to the door, and since the crow was also making sounds on the first screen, their croaking didn't really stand out as unusual. I eventually got through Lord Gobbler's door. At first I was just spelling 'believe' and didn't get why it wasn't working. That puzzle might be easier if there was a 'failure' sound for wrong combinations.