Sign in to follow this  
melmer

E3 2016: Content Experience

Yeah, I'm super pumped about the look of that game. It looks gorgeous. It's the open-ended Zelda 1 sequel I've always dreamed of. I'm 100% sold.

I really like the art style, it's got a great look. Some edges look rough, and the over bloomed effect takes away from it sometimes. But I'd hope that looks better both in motion and when you're playing it so long you get acclimatised.

I'm kind of with Osmosisch here. If you'd put them side to side, I'm sure Breath of the Wild is actually super better looking, but the feeling I got from the trailer was that this art style is less brilliant than The Wind Waker at the time. Though I'm somewhat excited they're breaking the mould for a Zelda game (as far as we know), I have to wonder if this is going to be all that great. The world doesn't feel very rich and detailed, if you compare it to other open foresty worlds like The Witcher 3 and, heck, No Man's Sky. But, maybe, this is still the Zelda overdose talking. I'll have to see way more to pass any kind of informed judgement.

I'm kind of with Osmosisch here. If you'd put them side to side, I'm sure Breath of the Wild is actually super better looking, but the feeling I got from the trailer was that this art style is less brilliant than The Wind Waker at the time. Though I'm somewhat excited they're breaking the mould for a Zelda game (as far as we know), I have to wonder if this is going to be all that great. The world doesn't feel very rich and detailed, if you compare it to other open foresty worlds like The Witcher 3 and, heck, No Man's Sky. But, maybe, this is still the Zelda overdose talking. I'll have to see way more to pass any kind of informed judgement.

I think Wind Waker benefits from being more stylized, This new one is a mix of cell shading and high fidelity graphics.

I can't find an original source but I've read that towns have been removed for the purpose of the demo. This is also just a small area of the map, so perhaps there is foresty areas. I hope there is.

I didn't see anything on a release estimate for Zelda...are they going to try to hit the holiday time 2016?

It was said multiple times for example by Reggie etc. and it has also been in media already earlier that Breath of the Wild will come to Wii U and NX in March 2017.

This E3 just keeps on giving. Nintendo announced HAL Laboratories excellent game BoxBoy's sequel BoxBoxBoy is coming in two weeks to the eShop in both Europe and North America! I've been waiting for that to come to Europe ever since they announced it for Japan last year.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2016/06/e3_2016_boxboxboy_is_coming_to_the_3ds_eshop_on_30th_june

Looks do goddamn gooooood. Haven't been this excited about a Zelda game since wind waker! It's gonna be goooooooooooooood.

Dragon Quest 7 is finally coming to Europe and North America in September. No mention of DQ8 however...

Also Nintendo announced some new rpg ip just like that during the Treehouse stream. It's called Ever Oasis.

Also Rhythm Heaven Megamix was just announced and released to the eShop as a digital only release and only in North America, no mention of Europe. :(

I have that game from Japan as a physical release that I bought over a year ago. Would've liked to have the same for Europe...

E: looks like it should be coming as physical and digital according to Nintendo UK's website unless plans have changed. No real release date though...

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Nintendo-3DS/Rhythm-Paradise-Megamix-1091313.html

On Zelda's art style, it's essentially Skyward Sword HD, no? Perhaps a little more painterly, but still Twilight proportions with a lick of Wind Waker paint.

I've not ever spent any time thinking about Call of Duty, but now they're apparently going into space and there's a dogfighting sequence?? Is CoD:InfBlops going sci-fi? Is this something that I should play when it comes out? like, a shootier version of Mass Effect or something, with colonies attack, so like Gundam except without Gundams?

I've not ever spent any time thinking about Call of Duty, but now they're apparently going into space and there's a dogfighting sequence?? Is CoD:InfBlops goign sci-fi? Is this something that I should play when it comes out? like, a shootier version of Mass Effect or something, with colonies attack, so like Gundam except without Gundams?

Call of Duty campaigns are significantly different in form from something like Mass Effect. There are no substantial character relationships. It's more similar to a Borne movie. There is lots of military-jargon mixed with secret operation reveals and bombs to diffuse and such. It's JSOC-fantasy with super high-end military equipment and small clandestine squads.

There was some good stuff this E3. I'm slowly going through the announcements, but so far the games I'm most excited about are The Legend of Zelda: Breath of Far Cry 2 and Dishonored 2.

Breath of the Wild looks to be the Zelda game of my dreams. Definitely going to dust off my Wii U for this one.

I only watched bits and pieces of Dishonored 2, but since the actual gameplay looks quite similar to the previous game I'm pretty confident that it will be super fun. I also love the idea of using colors.

Watch Dogs 2 looks nice so far even if some aspects of it are quite cringeworthy ("Here we use our 3D PRINTED electroshock gun to stun this guard"). The original got a lot of "I'm so fed up with open world games" flak upon release, but I actually liked the core gameplay quite a lot. I'm not a big fan of third person action shooter gameplay so I appreciated that I could approach many of the infiltration missions as puzzle boxes where I could take down most of the guards remotely with my sick-ass hax skills. Watch Dogs 2 seems to feature a much broader toolbox for that kind of stuff, so the gameplay could be a lot of fun. I also skipped the newest Ass Creed and Farcry games so I should be ready for another Ubisoft open-world tower climbing game.

Deus Ex Mankind Divided looks great.

Death Stranding looks weird as hell, and at first I had no idea what the actual gameplay is going to be like. Fortunately Hideo Kojima explained everything on Twitter.

I only now realized that Microsoft seems to be committed to releasing "exclusive" titles on both XBOX One and PC Windows 10. As I have never owned an XBOX, I have previously ignored announcements for stuff like Forza and Halo. Now I'm actually looking forward to playing Forza Horizon 3.

I'm not sure what to think of The Last Guardian now that it has a release date, except that the boy's face is weirdly blank.

Forza Horizon is a super fun openish worldish racing game series. All the relaxation of Midtown Madness with the fun racing mechanics of a kart game.

Spiderman looks pretty cool also. A good Spiderman game would blow most other super hero games out of the water.

Agents of Mayhem, while I've not seen much info is probably going to be rad. Other than that, yeah Titanfall 2, Zelda and Horizon look good.

Honestly, The Last Guardian looks pretty bad. That trailer did not make me interested at all.

Honestly, The Last Guardian looks pretty bad. That trailer did not make me interested at all.

I agree. It seems to me as if its moment has definitely passed.

Personally love the zelda art style, but I do agree with a few of the comments about fidelity. It's running at a lower resolution or there has been some optimizations since last years show. 

I'm one of those idiots that didn't care if Zelda has been formulaic every time, so this new gameplay seems a bit weird to me. From the screenshots, videos and conversations from the developers, I'm concerned that they've created this game that I'm visually inspired by, but also created this giant, empty world full of filler content. I'll wait and see, but definitely will be buying whatever the nx is to play it.

My take away from E3 is being intrigued by God of War and I don't think I'd ever write that in my life time. It's funny too, because I was pretty impressed by Doom from last years' show and when I was telling non gamer friends who don't watch these things, they thought I'd gone crazy.

All in all this feels like that other year where E3 is ramping down; most companies barely had anything of note to show or didn't bother to, EA and ubi may as well had been non parcitipants.

One thing though, I'm really glad games are finally at a visual quality where it almost doesn't matter anymore;that is to say, we're not at a perfect state, but watching the higher budget games footage, it's really great to see such consistency that you don't even have to comment or think about it being a game.

I hope this allows fans and the industry to start critiquing and critically thinking about art direction for games more than discussions about fidelity, pixels and rendering tech and that's an amazing place to finally be at.

I also agree, last year I thought it was starting to look rather dull and dated and this year it feels like that even more.

Death Stranding looks weird as hell, and at first I had no idea what the actual gameplay is going to be like. Fortunately Hideo Kojima explained everything on Twitter.

Hahaha holy shit what in the fuck that sure is a Kojima comment. He's back! I'm not fond of everything Kojima does, but man I sure do love that he exists and is allowed to make this shit. Wish more people were given the funds to vomit their dreams(/nightmares?) into my video games.

That aside, this E3 was a pretty good one. I'm excited for a lot of stuff that's coming out. Weirdly a much smaller emphasis on the more esoteric indie stuff than last year. Wonder if that's indicative of something, or just a result of "new" "generation" of consoles on the way changing the way they think about presenting stuff.

Also everything I see of the new Zelda makes me more and more excited.

M6m70Me.gif?1

A flying fortress or airship or who knows that's what makes it so exciting, the mystery, yes please give me this game straight into my veins etc.