eot

Cities: Skylines

Looking at good Cities Skylines interchanges eventually led to me just looking at real life interchanges, and it turns out everything is still ridiculous!!!

Heres the High Five Interchange in my hometown, Dallas, which is indeed 5 levels high:

7a4ae4f8cc.jpg

I tried the pedestrian zone-able paths, despite it saying emergency services and garbage trucks could still use it, that was not my experience but it could be that another mod is the cause there. Also the colour overlay when placing service buildings doesn't take it into account, which makes it hard to see the catchment area.

I was reminded by a mention in Chris' twitter timeline that no matter how good I get at Skylining, I will never be able to match the awe of

Looking at good Cities Skylines interchanges eventually led to me just looking at real life interchanges, and it turns out everything is still ridiculous!!!

Heres the High Five Interchange in my hometown, Dallas, which is indeed 5 levels high:

7a4ae4f8cc.jpg

I didn't go through Dallas often but I remember being overwhelmed by the amount of... well, THAT present in the city. It's surrounded by highway clusterfuck.

I was reminded by a mention in Chris' twitter timeline that no matter how good I get at Skylining, I will never be able to match the awe of

This video editing awed me. Also the city but the text. Wow.

I didn't go through Dallas often but I remember being overwhelmed by the amount of... well, THAT present in the city. It's surrounded by highway clusterfuck.

Same with Houston!

I mean, the High Five is an engineering marvel because of how fast it was constructed and how much it improves over the partial cloverleaf it replaced. I remember that and it was beyond awful. Really, no matter what's there, it's an ugly meeting of two huge highways, in one of the highest-density commercial zones of the city, that has to accommodate half a million vehicles daily, and every time I drive on it I'm struck by how successful it is at mitigating that as much as it does. Anyway, if you look at its plan from the air, it's not much wilder than one of the more grounded custom interchanges in Cities: Skylines.

Oh man, I got too enraptured with designing a useful metro system hoping to alleviate some traffic woes and....totally did not realize sewage was backing up into my water supply. Apparently people don't like drinking sewage.

Nx3DueC.jpg

A similar looking scene greeted me when my population outstripped my crematorium supply and all my graveyards filled up without me noticing. Due to traffic problems, there was always a body that might sit for a few days longer than it should of, so I was ignoring the tweets and map symbols until it was way too late. Despite having 500k in the bank, I almost dropped into the negative before I sorted it all out.

Oh man, I got too enraptured with designing a useful metro system hoping to alleviate some traffic woes and....totally did not realize sewage was backing up into my water supply. Apparently people don't like drinking sewage.

Nx3DueC.jpg

This is almost a screenshot of Plague, Inc.

Man, I wish there was more to this game, I feel like I'm kind of hitting the point where it's impossible to lose. I forgot to save before quitting last night so it reverted back to the pre-apocalypse state(which is a total bummer) I'm sitting at a million in cash and I am making about 20g a week.

I do need to get my road game on point though, I'm super shit at it.

I am doing extremely well money-wise, but I feel like I won't be able to, say, double my population without the traffic being a complete nightmare. I actually prefer that kind of difficulty, to constantly having to adjust taxes or whatever.

A similar looking scene greeted me when my population outstripped my crematorium supply and all my graveyards filled up without me noticing. Due to traffic problems, there was always a body that might sit for a few days longer than it should of, so I was ignoring the tweets and map symbols until it was way too late. Despite having 500k in the bank, I almost dropped into the negative before I sorted it all out.

The graveyard/crematorium mechanics are narratively weird, especially when you think about what they imply about the average citizen's experience. A family travels across town visit grandpa's grave, only to find some city workmen loading the exhumed coffin into a hearse bound for the newly constructed crematorium. Tomorrow, a new coffin will be deposited in grandpa's plot, and grandma will receive his ashes in the mail in 6-8 business days.

The graveyard/crematorium mechanics are narratively weird, especially when you think about what they imply about the average citizen's experience. A family travels across town visit grandpa's grave, only to find some city workmen loading the exhumed coffin into a hearse bound for the newly constructed crematorium. Tomorrow, a new coffin will be deposited in grandpa's plot, and grandma will receive his ashes in the mail in 6-8 business days.

As far as I can tell, the graveyard/crematorium system is 100% exactly the same as the landfill/incinerator system. Except the corpses don't generate electricity.

That's my excuse for why every time I want to build a cemetery, I always open up the "garbage" tab before the "healthcare" tab.

As far as I can tell, the graveyard/crematorium system is 100% exactly the same as the landfill/incinerator system. Except the corpses don't generate electricity.

That's my excuse for why every time I want to build a cemetery, I always open up the "garbage" tab before the "healthcare" tab.

I was more amused by how happy everyone gets when you install either one. 

I was more amused by how happy everyone gets when you install either one. 

Yeah! The wave of happiness when you throw down a graveyard was really counter-intuitive the first few times it happened to me.

Yeah! The wave of happiness when you throw down a graveyard was really counter-intuitive the first few times it happened to me.

Especially seeming Homes get pissy when you put a road down next to them WHICH could lead to new parks and new homes WHICH would benefit them but nooo road is bad, graveyard is fucking amazing.

And no pollution from a crematorium I believe?

I'm glad it's not just me doing that...

Downloaded the Hong Kong map, and tried to see how far I could get with 1 tile of land.

258f8e7a0c.jpg

Traffic is actually pretty decent, as in nothing backs up for longer than one intersection at most, and i got services everywhere. I actually didn't use anything better than a 4 lane in the whole city!

Does anyone know if you can move from industrial to office zoning entirely? I know that commercial relies to some degree on industrial, so will it rob my stores of all their goods if I remove industry entirely from my city?

Does anyone know if you can move from industrial to office zoning entirely? I know that commercial relies to some degree on industrial, so will it rob my stores of all their goods if I remove industry entirely from my city?

I have a city that runs entirely on office buildings for its "industry." As long as you have docks and shipyards bringing in goods for your commercial districts, it works fine and seems to pay out more overall in taxes. The main issue is that it seems to restrict demand for commercial zones compared to a standard RCI build, I'm not sure why.

Anyone else annoyed that you have to place a standard road before you do anything else? The first road I want to place is not normally the standard one

Just place a tiny little piece anywhere and delete it? There's *probably* a mod that disables that, though. :)