eot

Cities: Skylines

I'm really happy that the water is simulated in a a way that makes these floods possible! :tup:

YoThatLimp, the question is, was the mistake on nature's part, or is that your man-made water / sewage system being amazing?

Kinda bored of it now. Mayhaps i'll go back some day and get some mods.

The ability to fairly easily import real world terrain into this has made it very tempting. Now, if only it was easy to get historical terrain maps.

Something I'm curious about: How does flooding happen without a dam?

I have a section of one of my mod-built cities that's just perma-flooded and I wish I knew what I could do to fix it. Never had the issue before.

YoThatLimp, the question is, was the mistake on nature's part, or is that your man-made water / sewage system being amazing?

Was placing an hydroplant and it kind of just acted like a regular dam, I deleted it but the damage was done and probably heightened by the removal as It created a huge tsunami like wave.  

Was placing an hydroplant and it kind of just acted like a regular dam, I deleted it but the damage was done and probably heightened by the removal as It created a huge tsunami like wave.  

That is incredible.

Reposting from the episode thread:

vDHmAQo.jpg

I can legalize pot and watch people tweet about Richard Garriot. GOTY.cx

Same thing happened to me. I placed it at the end of two streams, so maybe that had something to do with it? Placing it a second time in a single stream coming from a lake worked.

Watching a friend stream and talk about this compelled me to impulse buy. I have no idea what I'm doing. I haven't played anything like this since tinkering around with the original Sim City on mum's work computer when I was... 12? But just building stuff and getting everything running smoothly looks so satisfying I had to give it a shot.

So far I am mostly confused. Turns out I don't know a whole lot about public infrastructure!

I downloaded the high maps for Seattle, started working on them, and then figured I should go to the Workshop and see what was already available. There were a couple that were decent, I grabbed them all and selected the best one and did some more edits looking at old maps from the late 1800s to get an idea of how it looked naturally.

Tonight I might get to actually play :)

Anyone got a source for a good tutorial? Also is there a way to turn on a sort of grid view? I realized the road tool can easily make a messy grid pattern (if it's what's desired). Like lines not being parallel.

I started my first city and it's going to be a traffic nightmare. 

Since you can rename buildings, people and everything else, The one thing that I REALLY REALLY want in this game is for the twitter to reference your custom names.

So long as he's putting out the models for free I don't see how this violates any ethics really. He's basically saying "Hey if you like my stuff maybe go throw me a bit of cash and I'll make more of it for everyone to enjoy" as opposed to "Hey give me a dollar and I'll send you this mod file for a burger joint". Not that I necessarily think there's anything inherently wrong with the latter, but it is illegal by my understanding, where as what he's doing now seems more like he's trying to fund himself working on his 3D skills while he looks for another job. With Skylines being the most popular thing that matches his skill set right now.

I will say this is extremely weird. And a little sad that we've reached this point in gaming.

I started my first city and it's going to be a traffic nightmare. 

I started building my city way too close to the entry point and was in serious traffic trouble at about 30 000 citizens. I had quite a lot of money though, so I leveled part of my city and completely rebuilt the road network to accommodate larger city. It's not pretty but it gets the job done. Almost. I'm now at 100 000 citizens and the motorways are getting pretty crowded again in certain areas. I will have to look into upgrading my public transport network next.

So: you should definitely take traffic seriously, and it is easier for you if you do this early on. However, you can also make drastic changes to your city layout after you start getting into traffic troubles, as long as you are doing okay financially. 

I'm just dinking around to get used to the game and its mechanics for now but that entry point into your city can be a mess to work with. I think when I start over I'll be taking that traffic thing more seriously.

I tried to create a very stark quality of life change in one of my "boroughs", and I think it came out pretty well.

e7c3bdebc4.jpg

So any suggestions on how to start? I tried to start fresh, but I feel like the limitations on what I can build make it impossible to do a decent job. There's a menu option for that, but it gives you 700,000 to start with. I don't understand how I'm supposed to plan for the future when I can only build dinky roads.

I think off the bat you really can't build much in the way of big 6-lanes or highways aside from maybe one to extend the existing highway. I start with small 2 lane roads and slowly upgrade them as money starts flowing in. The only real downside to this is if your services are on 2 lane roads that need to be upgraded, but even then once you have decent cash flow rebuilding a $10k school isn't a big deal and you can plan around it by keeping your services off major roads (which I do cause I think it helps with congestion anyway). The starting money is just enough to get your basic utilities...in fact my first couple cities, I ran out of money before building one of the needed utilities and had to restart. 

I think your starting resources are super low for a reason; that process of fighting the limitations you had while building is the most interesting part of the game to me. Seeing your tiny town full of two lane streets slowly grow, watching traffic start to pile up and scrambling to upgrade streets while moving services around as needed, and trying to optimize while dealing with what you built out of necessity before is an interesting problem. It's made me think a lot more about why streets where I live (Boston, an old and notoriously shitty city to drive in) are so haphazardly laid out and now I have a little sympathy for whoever had to turn horse paths into highways here.

Anyway here's my current city, Jurassic Parkdale. All my highway on/off ramps are a goddamn mess cause I built too close to highways/train tracks and couldn't fit in good looking ones.

Nlfd0Vb.jpg