Zeusthecat

I Had A Random Thought...

Don't really have any other thread to put this, but it's near to topics we've had before.  Someone attacked a Furry convention in Chicago with chlorine gas, hospitalizing 19 people.  Who the fuck tries to gas a bunch of furries?

Some of my friends are trying to organise a group to go see the new Hobbit movie. I wish people more readily accept not affording things as a reason to not go, because then I also have to say that I'm not interested in seeing the movie they already know they'll all love.

Given all the things that have happened this year, I sometimes wonder if we're living in a dystopian future and maybe don't realize it.

It was 1984 all along!

Today is 12/13/14 (using the American date format).  It's the last time that the date will be sequential until the next century.

and all i did was date some meat i put into the freezer.  feels like a squandered oportunity

Something to smile about. If you ever wondered why the call Kansas City "Cow Town", now you know.

Good job those black cows didn't make their way to Ferguson, they probably would have been shot for violently protesting.

I've been thinking a lot lately about what it means to hate a person or find them despicable and if it is really fair to put those people at fault for the issues I have with them. I mean, if you boil it all down, even grown adults are products of their environment and whatever influences they have experienced over their lives.

Is it fair for me to think of someone as a fuckhead for being an overtly racist asshole or for sending death threats to people they disagree with? The more I think about it, the more I wonder. What was it like for this person growing up? Did they have abusive parents? Did they have any friends? Do they suffer from depression or some other kind of mental disorder?

Anyone who has an opinion, however vile it may be, has in some way had that opinion shaped by outside influences. Whether it was their upbringing, the group of friends they may have, an influential person they may have latched onto, or a myriad of other possibilities. When you really consider everything that goes into forming an opinion, I wonder if it is really fair to categorize some people as "good" and some people as "bad". Am I a "good" person for being open-minded and having some of the more progressive opinions that I have or did I just get lucky that all of the inputs into my life and resulting choices that were made led to me thinking the way that I do. I think that it is more or less random and that I just got that lucky combination of inputs that made me into a "good" person (at least I hope I am).

I think at some level I've had this mentality for a long time and just never really thought about it much. When I take a look at the people I know, I realize I have plenty of people who are close to me that are racist, sexist, homophobic, and all other sorts of nasty. But I don't see any of them as bad people. As I've gotten to know people with some of these characteristics, I usually come to find that in a lot of ways, they are genuinely good people with just a few fucked up and misinformed opinions. Rather than write these people off I think it is best to engage them and hopefully become one of those influences that starts to change the way they think about some of those things.

Not sure where I'm going with this, hence the Random Thought thread...

It's a pretty common thing you have to come to terms with as a teacher. Every class on the planet has at least one of THOSE kids. Thing is, when they come to you after class with a problem, you learn about all the shit they have going on at home, all the other shit they have to deal with, the way that being one of THOSE kids gets other kids to treat you, making you even more isolated, etc etc etc. They're still, at their core, a frightened ten year old. And unless you're a fucking monster, you can't hate a frightened ten year old. If there's any sentence I can't repeat enough: People are never shitty. Attitudes and behaviours can be shitty, and some people have more shitty ones than others. I have the luxury of interacting with them while they're still ACTUALLY ten and have a better chance of beating these habits (and are less defensive/more willing to accept help), but I still agree that everyone has a shot. Unfortunately, being a good person is like learning a second language. It's not IMPOSSIBLE to learn it as an adult, but it's a lot easier if you start young.

"The rat symbolises obviousness" is a crap joke. Firstly, in The Departed the shot of a rat doesn't 'symbolise' anything, it's just a visual motif to rhyme with the theme of the film. It's not like a childhood photo burning to symbolise the death of innocence or something, it's just a nice shot to end the film on. Secondly, if you're going to spend an entire episode doing a weak Friedberg and Seltzer level 'parody' of a film, maybe don't try to take a cheap potshot at it right at the end. Fuck you, post-season-9 The Simpsons.

we had our christmas party last night. i was a bit late in for work, and got in at noon on the dot. at 11.57 the boss had emailed us all to tell us to go home early. An hour on the bus for a -3 min working day...

Anyone who has an opinion, however vile it may be, has in some way had that opinion shaped by outside influences. Whether it was their upbringing, the group of friends they may have, an influential person they may have latched onto, or a myriad of other possibilities. When you really consider everything that goes into forming an opinion, I wonder if it is really fair to categorize some people as "good" and some people as "bad". Am I a "good" person for being open-minded and having some of the more progressive opinions that I have or did I just get lucky that all of the inputs into my life and resulting choices that were made led to me thinking the way that I do. I think that it is more or less random and that I just got that lucky combination of inputs that made me into a "good" person (at least I hope I am).

Yeah I agree with this, it makes me sad.. I spent ages trying to summarize my feelings on this but don't know how. 

Today I was buying some vegetables at the local farmers market and was 75% sure I was overcharged to the tune of 15$. Normally, I just either assume I'm wrong in my math (which is pretty silly because I'm pretty damn good at math,) misunderstood posted signs, or just decide the cost of the overcharge is worth not having to go back to deal with it. I started to walk away, but then I stood and thought about it and managed to work up enough courage to go back and ask him to double-check the prices.

It really shocks me that some people are so aggressive with shop-keeps when they make the smallest mistakes when I usually don't even bother when I know they've made big mistakes. Let alone things like haggling that you're basically expected to do to get good prices on certain things like cars.

So the Swedish Security Police have joined their American counterparts (CIA) in getting a Twitter account and having the first tweet be, at least, an attempt at humor. It does come of as slightly ominous however, considering their line of work.

The tweet reads:

"We're on Twitter now, for safety's sake. Follow us, because we're following you"

I've taken to whizzing sitting down because I got tired of always having to clean drips off the rim. Best thing I ever did. Now I do all my home pissing sitting down, it's fantastic, I get to have a little rest and i can check my phone.

This is now a thread about your pissing habits

I totally do this.

Except I go completely naked whenever I use the restroom for number 2.

So I try not to take number 2 in public if I can.