melmer

Oculus rift

Keep in mind that both King and Zynga own much of their gross success to Facebook in the first place, so Facebook seems to be the most gross to me just by potential of grossness it fosters in other companies.

I dunno, that's like saying it's Microsoft's fault when an xbox game is garbage.

I think the thing that keeps me from jumping on the hate bandwagon just yet is that Facebook is too young to have a history of shitting on its acquisitions. But then again, everyone's gotta start somewhere!

Anyone who thought they were making the Oculus for games did so because they trotted out a bunch of gaming tech titans like Carmack and Newell in their pitch video. They had gaming written all over their pitch and the vast, vast majority of their support was coming from the gaming community. I don't think it's a stretch for that community to feel a little duped. Maybe we were naive, but the backlash is still their problem to deal with. If they meant for the Oculus to be used for a lot of non-gaming applications, they did a really shitty job of communicating that.

Well that's because that was the market on Kickstarter. They probably don't show the military guys Doom 3 either. One piece of hardware can have many different use cases. As they've said before, the primary commercial market is still games because they are the industry best positioned to be creating immersive 3D worlds to explore.

Honestly I'm not even convinced that games, at least the kinds of games we often play now, are a good fit for the rift. Movement, situational awareness, fidelity, and a bunch of other little things need to be sorted out first. I'm one of those unlucky folks who gets pretty bad motion sickness while using the device anyways so until that's unequivocally fixed I can't see the rift being used for extended periods.

It's easier for me, now, to speculate about ways in which this could work out. Facebook's core product is on the way out, and they know it; they've been spending money to ensure that they can use that sweet, sweet Facebook money to pivot into mobile. They are clearly not planning on being the Facebook company forever.

So what if we're seeing a company that's planning on pivoting when they get something that's worth growing? What if Facebook recognises that Oculus' ties to developers are stronger than the parent company's, and on VR let them call the shots? What if Oculus bought out Facebook and not the other way around?

I think it's probably healthy to burst the hype bubble on the Rift. I've tried DK2, it's still not that great.

I haven't tried it yet, so my imagination fills the blanks generously. I'm expecting to be able to wander something like Florence in Assassin's Creed 2 and pretend I'm there and be afraid to jump off buildings because it's so real. Talk me down, what is lacking about it?

It doesn't do eye tracking particularly well; you feel like you've got a screen strapped to your face, which is basically what it is. They kept getting me to avoid tilting too much (because I wanted to look around a corner); it actually worked, but I guess it also breaks the illusion pretty quickly when it doesn't.

I dunno, that's like saying it's Microsoft's fault when an xbox game is garbage.

I think the thing that keeps me from jumping on the hate bandwagon just yet is that Facebook is too young to have a history of shitting on its acquisitions. But then again, everyone's gotta start somewhere!

Well, they do have a history of shitting on users. It's part of the reason that I just don't have a good feeling about this at all, because I have tons of negative feelings towards Facebook in how they treat me as a user, so even if they have no particularly rich history of having their way with companies they acquire I still don't trust them based on my personal experience. It's a bit of an emotional assessment, but not every opinion I have has to be wholly rational.

Also, if you asked me how I feel about Microsoft enabling Activision/Call of Duty rot by buying exclusivity and encouraging the sales of that sub-par franchise of late through their buckets of advertising money, I wouldn't have a particularly positive spin. So, Facebook endorsing shitty gaming trends by putting those games front and center certainly does earn them some contempt from me.

Abrash leaving Valve for Oculus is actually an encouraging sign.

Regardless of how it all shakes out, this has been one ridiculous week.

Ugh.. That is the worst. Be sour about the deal if you want to, complain about it on twitter, whatever.. But god damn death threats? Harassing phone calls? Christ..

I guess this shouldn't surprise me coming from a community that goes to the death threat/harassing well for a simple gun tweak patch for a video game.. 

Seriously! I hate that my reaction as soon as I saw that article was, "of course that happened!"

Not cool

Seriously! I hate that my reaction as soon as I saw that article was, "of course that happened!"

Not cool

Someone does something you don't like on the internet? Tell them how you wish they were dead, possibly also how you wish to make them dead. This is our culture right now.

I'm kind warming up to the idea of Occulus and Facebook being together. I figure the chance that Occulus, standing on its own, running out of money and folding is probably about equal to the chance of Facebook stepping in and messing things up.

Still hope that other Augmented Tech from valve gets made somehow as my housemates find it funny making me jump when I'm fully immersed.

But also as i could walk around London and for instance it could render London circa 1888 or 1666 on top.

Maybe a sort of adventure game?

Speak to a rendered NPC who's not there...

Achievement unlocked: "Someone kindly get a straight jacket for this fine gentleman"

Moral of the story: Never trust a man with a mullet in a Russian mall.

Has anyone tried combining photometry and a HMD? I feel like that would do something crazy to your sense of presence if the virtual world is actually 1:1 with the real world, with a few tweaks here and there.

Also get some eye tracking in there to put shadowy figures in places you're not directly staring at. Peripheral vision and it's horrible processing and visual limitations, hasn't really been played with in games/truck simulators.

So I don't know basically anything about the thing I just watched, but what does the thing in the corner that says "Enable Relief" do? Is that just a part of the OR itself, or is it a software thing, and what does it actually do? I need relief from my headache now.