melmer

Oculus rift

IWWvLLj.jpg

ALL HAIL THE GLORIOUS FUTURE.

The glorious future sure was a pain in the ass to set up. Had it break on multiple points with it refusing to install the Positional Tracking cam drivers being the worst of it. Then, later it suddenly worked for some obscure reason after hours of tooling around with it. And then, at some point looking at the demo scene; a simple desk with a few items on it, I nearly fell out of my chair as I tried to lean on a desk that wasn't there. It was great!

I can't wait. 

Now that you've tried the translational tracking, what gameplay ideas come to mind. 

...I just want to play Euro Truck Simulator 2 with an Oculus and some kind of steering wheel peripheral thingy.

I'm hoping they announce official Oculus Rift support for the PC version of GTA 5. I also hope that they include a way to skip the torture-scene.

I've been considering buying a DK2 to fiddle around with. It seems like there's a lot of potential for VR, even if the Oculus is not it. I've been to a lot of VR meet ups and 1 VR game jam and the kinds of things I'm most interested in seeing develop in games more, are the sorts of things which VR really adds to. 

Anyone try Sound Self by Robin Arnott? He's the guy who made that deep sea diving game. It's really cool. And also unique because it doesn't take the typical "VR means realistic immersion" angle on things. I certainly think there's a lot more to VR than just "jacking in to the Matrix". Would love to see someone purposely subvert that aspect actually. (ghost game where you only see flashes of the ghosts in your left eye, messing with your FOV or depth perception from reality, etc. Did anyone ever play that MIT Games Lab game where your travelled at the speed of light, and red shifted, the more orbs you gathered? Stuff like that would be crazzzzzy)

The problem with playing around with fov and perspective is that people start vomiting everywhere. They've spent so much time developing techniques and guidelines to prevent the Rift from being known as the new thing you put on your head and vomit. So, even though it does seems like a really cool thing to experiment with, you most definitely won't see any games doing it (unless they're intentionally breaking all the rules to make you puke.)

Haha yeah that is the problem I guess. I haven't actually had any problems with nausea but I also haven't played for more than 30 minutes at a time.  

I kind of feel once it goes more mainstream people will be able to experiment with it, but for now doing that sort of thing will just throw people off. Kind of like how when film first began, people avoiding cutting too quickly, or at all, for fear of making people sick, but now a days we have heavy use of jump cuts and shaky cam, and crazy stuff like that. 

It would be a great copy protection feature to punish pirates by slowly increasing the IPD or something.

I'm way more interested in the potential of Oculus-enabled recordings of things like what's happening in Ferguson than concerts. I wonder if the technology will have an inherent tendency to convert view-points or solidify them more intensely than screen-coverage. I kinda doubt it will be any different.

If you've tried the DK2 I'd love to know what the latency is like on the head tracking?  I sometimes get mild nausea from playing FPS's for too long and I'd be worried a delay in the oculus would make this worse.  

I'm still waiting for my DK2 but I actually got my Google Cardboard today. It's super impressive for what it is - a nearly-free VR device if you've already got a decent smartphone (I have a Nexus 5). As far as I know there's only Google's app for things to do with it so far but it's really good flying around in Google Earth and they have some cool little demo apps for it. The resolution is twice the DK1's and the rotational tracking seems almost as good to me, although it's been a while since I've had access to my DK1. Really cool stuff

I'm still waiting for my DK2 but I actually got my Google Cardboard today. It's super impressive for what it is - a nearly-free VR device if you've already got a decent smartphone (I have a Nexus 5). As far as I know there's only Google's app for things to do with it so far but it's really good flying around in Google Earth and they have some cool little demo apps for it. The resolution is twice the DK1's and the rotational tracking seems almost as good to me, although it's been a while since I've had access to my DK1. Really cool stuff

Seems like shipping to your part of the world was severely delayed? I ordered April 7 and should get mine next week("processing"), but I've seen a lot of Australians on the Oculus forums who ordered during the first few days and still haven't received theirs.

Yeah, I played around with Cardboard some recently too. There are also some Chrome based demos on the Cardboard website but most of them aren't as good as the Cardboard app ones. I was also impressed by how well the quality compares to DK1. It doesn't seem farfetched to turn this into a plastic case that straps more comfortably to your head for a low cost VR solution.

I'm still waiting for my DK2 but I actually got my Google Cardboard today.

Where did you buy it from? I did some quick googling and most results seem to be of questionable quality.

My DK2 arrived yesterday. I never tried the DK1 so I can't compare, but nausea hasn't been a huge problem for me. I just played Half-Life 2 for about an hour and feel fine. I haven't been this terrified of head crabs since 1998.

And I desperately need and new graphics card, my 660 Ti can't manage 75 fps in half the demos I try.

http://youtu.be/oIvUrWWIDGU

The limitless possibilities of virtual reality, do anything, go anywhere... Jurassic park? Blade runner? Underwater? Outer space? Nope

The tekken team takes us to a school girls dorm room :S Finally I can realise my dream of making polite conversation whilst sneaking inappropriate looks with a girl

bahahaha my dreams come true!

arent oculus aiming for the Hz Valves research said was the best for human eyes that close 95Hz/fps