melmer

Oculus rift

Nice, I was hoping they'd bolt a Track-IR onto that thing. I'm starting to hope we'll be able to purchase one of these this year.

Maybe virtual-reality games will be as significantly different as board-games are to video-games or arcade-games. Here is hoping that they will get a better name than "VR-games".

Let's take the matter into our own hands. Anyone got sweet canidate names for games developed for and played with the Oculus Rift?

I'm going to list a bunch of bad suggestions:

-Digital sitches

-immersive sims

-diaramas

-cyberstances (ok, so maybe some of my suggestion are great)

-cyber textures

-matrixes

Maybe virtual-reality games will be as significantly different as board-games are to video-games or arcade-games. Here is hoping that they will get a better name than "VR-games"

I spent an evening last week with a friend looking at all of the weird OR stuff we could find, and we kind of talked about this. It's particularly good for little demos, flythroughs, and weird oddities. "Games" is an especially bad name for that kind of stuff though. "Rifts" has a stink of 90's cyberpunk about it, but so do any portmanteaus with video or game in them. 

Lasted video I saw of lucky (at ces) he was saying that oculus rift would be its own 'platform'. Sound like they are shooting for way more than just a periheral

The interview was with hip hop gamer :)

I spent an evening last week with a friend looking at all of the weird OR stuff we could find, and we kind of talked about this. It's particularly good for little demos, flythroughs, and weird oddities. "Games" is an especially bad name for that kind of stuff though. "Rifts" has a stink of 90's cyberpunk about it, but so do any portmanteaus with video or game in them. 

Vidrifts.

"MAN, you checked out the latest vidrift, yet?!"

"YEAH DUDE! IT WAS SICKNASTY!"

Works for me!

…and I was like:

tumblr_muoj6fexpP1qzk2upo1_500.png

The game term thing is a bigger problem. Loads of things we make with related tech, that clearly fall into the same realm when it comes to criticism and journalism, chafe pretty badly under it. We just don't seem to have a better specific term for things made with games tech though.

Vr-kits can be called "cyber_decks" and the programs can be called "cyber_spaces". Yeah, I went there.

-Holos

-Realities

-Routines

Vidcons is already a thing*, though, and it just refers to video games. We're talking about virtual reality vidcons!

*In Charles Barkley's Shut Up and Jam Gaiden.

Has anyone heard anything about 3d-modeling software supporting the rift. I haven't gotten into 3d-modeling yet, but rift support may affect which programs I look into using.

Lasted video I saw of lucky (at ces) he was saying that oculus rift would be its own 'platform'. Sound like they are shooting for way more than just a periheral

The interview was with hip hop gamer :)

I'm going to do my damnedest to see this at SXSW.

But you're their Chief Technology Officer, surely you've already seen this?

I've been too busy working on improving TressFX to accurately render John Romero's hair.

For anyone who'll be in the Austin area for SXSW interactive, Oculus is hosting an exhibition open to the public next weekend:

http://sxsw.com/interactive/news/2014/explore-virtual-reality-games-oculus-loft

I confirmed via email that this doesn't require a badge for access. I might go both days.