Tanukitsune

Quitter's Club: Don't be ashamed to quit the game.

I was (?) like this as well. Save, look the one way, load, look the other way, load again, first way was better, should have saved that try. And keeping all the shit, later somebody might need 5 pieces of broken furniture.

Now I learned/force myself to roll with my decisions - and look up stuff like 'do I need those 20 trinkets that clutter up my inventory in a later quest?' while playing.

Witcher 2 did this so hard. "Hey, remember that vendor trash back in the first act? Guess what, they're components for the best items in the game! What, you sold them when they didn't prove useful during the first twenty hours of gameplay? Didn't you notice they were marked 'quest', like half the junk in the game?"

I can't remember where I went from compulsive hoarder to don't-stop-for-nothin sprinter in RPGs.

It might've been FF12's skill board, where I tried to expand out and unlock the entire board, but later realized that's impossible. So the game got way more fun to just focus people on deliberate paths. I unlocked loads more cool stuff.

Or Mass Effect, where characters die and you make bad choices, but you're not really locked out of anything. The game just re-writes itself.

...Anyway it's more fun to make deliberate choices and just roll with everything, you get a stronger sense of being a character in the world. If I don't get Ultima Weapon then whatever, it's probably cooler as a crazy myth than as an item anyway.

I definitely USED TO be annoyed about having to pick things though.

So a couple years ago as part of a Secret Santa, I received The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom as a part of my gift package. Me being horrible, I didn't install it ASAP, and forgot about it sorta.

But I just did so today. And while I haven't quit the game, my short time with it just now made me realize it may very well end up coming to that. I'm so bad at puzzle platformers and this one kinda ramps it up against my ability to be smart in a hurry.

So a couple years ago as part of a Secret Santa, I received The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom as a part of my gift package. Me being horrible, I didn't install it ASAP, and forgot about it sorta.

But I just did so today. And while I haven't quit the game, my short time with it just now made me realize it may very well end up coming to that. I'm so bad at puzzle platformers and this one kinda ramps it up against my ability to be smart in a hurry.

Dude, don't feel bad if you can't get through P.B. Wintetbottom. I got stuck in that game a decided to look at some video walkthroughs. What I found out was that was using almost twice as many P.B.'s as necessary to finish the last five levels. I don't think that game really leads the player to develop the proper techniques as much as it just makes things harder and harder.

I'm currently thrown in for a loop over these pies that only activate for a brief time when a switch is pushed. I don't want to look into videos to see how it's done just yet, not before trying it all out myself, but if it comes down to me having to look at how something is done every stage I may as well not bother playing. I really hope it doesn't come to that because the presentation of the game is incredible.

This is one of those times I feel bad for being good at video games. I had literally no trouble whatsoever with that game. I quite liked it. D:

This is one of those times I feel bad for being good at video games. I had literally no trouble whatsoever with that game. I quite liked it. D:

I didn't have any trouble with it either, though I usually am good at solving puzzles in games, well puzzles in general. Other things give me trouble though, skill based platformers like SMB are pretty hard for me. I hate most all 2d platformers actually.

That's pretty much every puzzle game out there.

I feel like contemporaries of P.B. Winter Bottom, like Portal, Braid, and World of Goo are totally in a different league in this respect. I never left a level in one of those game not feeling like I had learned a new technique.

I just remembered I bought Crysis 2 on Steam a few weeks ago. Christ that game is boring. I played about two hours, put it down, then forgot about entirely. My ill informed impressions are that the environments and health system are too restrictive to allow interesting scenarios to develop. The most effective strategy seems to be cloak, aim at head, uncloak, pull trigger, cloak, rinse and repeat.

I just remembered I bought Crysis 2 on Steam a few weeks ago. Christ that game is boring. I played about two hours, put it down, then forgot about entirely. My ill informed impressions are that the environments and health system are too restrictive to allow interesting scenarios to develop. The most effective strategy seems to be cloak, aim at head, uncloak, pull trigger, cloak, rinse and repeat.

Yeah, absolutely. I played a few hours of Crysis 2 and felt like I was just far too delicate. They give you this suit with special powers, but they're all so weak that you can't really play the game any differently than you would any other shooter where you'll die relatively quickly. Perhaps it would have benefited from one of those usually annoying scenarios where they start you out with a fully powered suit so you have an idea what you're working towards, then just unceremoniously strip you of it.

I got the modern Alien Breed game in a "indie" bundle, it was mostly Team 17 games though.

As you can guess, I just could not stomach these game, the busywork is just too ludicrous, before I gave up I swear I pushed more buttons that shot aliens. And of course, every button you push just gives you a message telling you that either you have to press some other button to get it to work or leads to another button.

If there is anybody that doesn't believe they try to artificially make games longer look no further, this game would be over in five minutes if it weren't for it's bloody busywork!

PS: Does anybody use a different term for this? I've always used "busywork" since it's the obvious term to give, but I might be using the wrong one.

I bought Cryostasis on sale a long time ago and quit after 15-20 minutes because it made me feel sick which never happens to me in games, ever.

Only time I've ever really felt super sick oh man I have to quit now was the first time I played HL2 and got to the airboat section. It was weird for me. Cryostasis was one of those games that got to me after a while, though. I couldn't play for more than an hour or two at a time. But HL2 airboat? INSTANTLY FLOORED. Weirdly, I don't think I felt sick at all last time I played through it. Granted, since then, I've learned about things like field of view and how that affects my motion sickness.

I Quit Resident evil 6 after about 1 hour....

i started with Chris' campaign, which probably gives the worst first impression as its the 'gears of war' rip off campaign, where armed zombies are shooting at you so you have to use cover

Now to snap into lower/waist high cover you first need to be holding down the aim button then press A

But i was playing with a sniper rifle....so to snap into cover i first have to look down my scope then press a to duck into it

Then whilst in cover, the game defocuses the background, so all the enemies i could see perfectly fine before i went into cover are now a blur

fuck that, i later died twice both time because of the horrendous camera, so i switched off

I'd loved to see the achievement stats of all the people that only bothered to complete the tutorial level

after watching some videos of the mercenaries mode i got a feeling i was "playing it wrong", and once i learned all the stupid unintuitive methods to dispatching zombies (namely, the flying suplexes...but why would that lady wrap her bare legs around the head of a biting zombie) i'd have a better time with the game

We need Nick Breckon's impressions of Resident Evil 6. He's the expert even if he is no longer on the podcast regularly.

I just gave up on NEO Scavenger, a survival game in which it's impossible to survive!

In my first game, I was attacked and killed before I could even find a weapon and even when I do, I always lose the first battle... NO MATTER WHAT! And even if I did survive the first battle, I'd probably die a few moment later due to the the bleeding.

I might actually liked this game, but being this harsh is just ludicrous. I can't even survive for more than three turns, which is B.S. Even in roguelikes you stand a better chance than this game.

The fact that you can only carry what you can hold would have been interesting if I survived enough to find a container.

Hah, I remember playing that game in beta a long time ago. I was impressed by the granularity of simulation, but the interface just wasn't up to the task of communicating everything going on. My best playthrough, where I actually made it to a proper city and glimpsed some of the plot, I suddenly started getting cold and becoming dehydrated for no reason. I chugged all my water and piled on clothes like a madman, but it wasn't enough and I died. Combing through the logs after the fact, I think I ate some spoiled food or had an allergic reaction, but the game didn't tell me this one simple thing, which would have been stunningly obvious to a real person in that situation, and so I couldn't take appropriate measures.

So yeah, NEO Scavenger. Cool game, but fuck it.

Pretty sure I've officially quit Dark Souls at this point. I could even potentially continue to progress I think, but one of the bosses I feel like I "should" have beaten and died instead. Screw all the talk about the game being fair.

Pretty sure I've officially quit Dark Souls at this point. I could even potentially continue to progress I think, but one of the bosses I feel like I "should" have beaten and died instead. Screw all the talk about the game being fair.

Which boss? What happened that sent you over the edge?

I don't think i'll ever return to Demon Souls, i'm not stuck so much. Just reached a really unfun level, and i feel pretty underpowered compared to my enemies...

I'm in a library, and there was a dragon with no scales i think, and all the enemies are covered in ice or crystal (can't figure out how to add spoiler, so instead i'll put it in comic sans)

A similar thing happened during Dark souls, where i gave up then a couple of months latter i restarted and for the first time learned the joy of summoning helpers (i had played it completely solo up until that point)

The game transformed into an arcade beatem up, where me and two buddies were just tearing around the levels fucking shit up in style then I literally sat and watched as my two helpers just took the end boss apart...good times :)

The last level of GTA 4 somehow stumped me, i was on pc, i think it was the controls and i couldnt afford a gamepad at the time. Also STALKER where i just couldnt bring my self to go through another sewer/underground base, I just shat bricks every time I encountered a bloodsucker (dudes that could go invisiable).

Water is really useful for taking down bloodsuckers, it makes the audio of their footsteps really obvious.

Totally understand though. The first time I was about to encounter one, the game made everything so ominous that I sat outside the basement it was in thinking "I actually don't want to go in here" :)

Carrying both a shotgun and a rifle in Stalker was a huge hassle, but it was worth it for the bloodsuckers alone.