Tanukitsune

Quitter's Club: Don't be ashamed to quit the game.

i have quit playing don't starve because of the permadeath/permafail, i will just wait until they either add a load function or wait until they have finished updating and have for some reason refused to put that feature in and download a mod, because i just can't put any time into it while at any point it could all be lost, they have added ways that you can die once and have to collect your stuff, but if you die twice in a row it is game over so it just isn't good enough

I'm putting down Harvest Moon. I missed out on the SNES era as a kid and am going back to many of the more storied games. A few minutes in I immediately saw how it  was the precursor to Farmville. Though thankfully the game doesn't include any of that micro-transaction b.s., years of playing video games led me to start min-maxing right from the start, ruining my own experience for me.

On a side note, there's some really surprising lines of existential dialogues in the context of religion. Aside from the game asking you "I believe God exists. You believe it, don't you?" my favorite line is "It would be much easier to live if it was true that God brings you happiness." lolwut?

Whoa, whoa, don't you dare compare Harvest Moon to Farmville just because they both have farming and a energy system.

Harvest Moon NEEDS an energy system or else you'll be able to do too much per day and you'll complete your goal way before your time limit, Farmville make thing inconvenient to make you spend money in it, in Harvest Moon there is only the energy system and weather... And you can get berries that increase your stamina and build a greenhouse to protect them from the weather.

Jesus, this is like saying you can't play Mario games anymore because of those terrible iOS clones.

Jesus, this is like saying you can't play Mario games anymore because of those terrible iOS clones.

To be clear, I've played way more Harvest Moon than I have Farmville and the latter isn't why I stopped playing the former. I stopped because my habits gained from other games led me to play Harvest Moon in a way that I didn't find it enjoyable.

Energy is technically unlimited, as you can use the hot springs to gain it all back with a few dips in. The real limiting factor is that the day passes by quite quickly, forcing me to try and accomplish lots of things (harvesting/storing for sales, going to town to shop/charm the ladies, picking fruit/fishing) in a shockingly short amount of time. I ended up clearing up the entire farm the first night; a tedious activity I regret jumping into early.

Ultimately, none of the goals the game laid out for me felt particularly interesting. What I really wanted to do was create an amazing, gorgeous garden, but I feel as if there's a lot of unfulfilling tedium between me and that goal. Makes me want to go back to Minecraft and just plant red and yellow flowers in elaborate patterns.

Is there like a Harvest Moon: Dutch Tulip Farmer? I might be interested in something like that.

Animal Crossing? You can drown your village in tulips if you like and time passes in real time.

I'm putting down Harvest Moon. I missed out on the SNES era as a kid and am going back to many of the more storied games. A few minutes in I immediately saw how it  was the precursor to Farmville. Though thankfully the game doesn't include any of that micro-transaction b.s., years of playing video games led me to start min-maxing right from the start, ruining my own experience for me.

On a side note, there's some really surprising lines of existential dialogues in the context of religion. Aside from the game asking you "I believe God exists. You believe it, don't you?" my favorite line is "It would be much easier to live if it was true that God brings you happiness." lolwut?

Don't do it!! Harvest Moon is an amazing game and is one of my favorites of all time (I even gave an honorable mention to Magical Melody on the Favorite Game thread). And yeah, Farmville does not deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as Harvest Moon.

Don't do it!! Harvest Moon is an amazing game and is one of my favorites of all time (I even gave an honorable mention to Magical Melody on the Favorite Game thread).

FINE, MOTHERFUCKERS, I'LL GIVE IT ANOTHER GO!

Chortling at the fact that I'm being shamed about quitting a game in a thread whose subtitle says I shouldn't be ashamed.

I have no issue with you quitting, but it's the comparison to Farmville that made me want to reach through my screen and squeeze your throat.

FINE, MOTHERFUCKERS, I'LL GIVE IT ANOTHER GO!

Chortling at the fact that I'm being shamed about quitting a game in a thread whose subtitle says I shouldn't be ashamed.

Nah man, I'm just giving you a hard time. Not every game is for everyone.

I feel like things have escalated rather quickly.

Don't worry, it was a gentle squeeze!

I played a good 5 hours of Mass Effect on PC before getting absolutely fed up with the bugs and glitches that followed me through the whole game (not being able to run it without computer jumbo/glitching through walls/locking myself out of dialogue screens). The game definitely starts out more dialogue based than combat, so I was generally disappointed when I had to drag myself through the super clunky combat systems in ME1. So I quit, left it there for a good year, played a LOT of Dota and then went back to it on a whim, since I remembered I bought it in a deal with Mass Effect 2 and I didn't want to waste a whole game. 

One thing that really shines in the later stages of that game is the progression of time, and the different small ways in which it really feels like your moving through a story, but at your own pace and with minute changes that make your playthrough meaningful. After getting over the combat (which was made worse by the fact that I chose one of those classes that just kind of sucked) I actually really, REALLY enjoyed the rest of what I played, and jumped into Mass Effect 2 completely on board (so to speak) and have pretty much spent the past 2 days absolutely devouring it.

So I guess that was my brief tenure as a member of the Quitter's Club. hole-punch my members card.

I think I've giving up on SpaceChem. I put an hour into a level the other day and only managed to put together 3 out of the 5 reactors I think I need to solve the puzzle. And I'm not even sure if the 5 I envisioned would work, or are possible! Plus, SpaceChem feels so much like programming that it makes me want to just work the same brain circuits out and actually code something useful, instead of a fictional molecule [dis]assembly line.

This is actually the first game in ages I feel at all guilty about quitting, as I think it's brilliant and would be productive to play through but the monumental scale of the task ahead of me is too terrifying.

Yeah, SpaceChem is definitely one of those "It's absolutely wonderful, but you'd have to be a completely crazy person to actually finish it" games. I loved what I played a whole lot, but when I was done I was DONE.

Why am I still trying to beat Candy Box? I've been stuck on Hell for three days. This can't be worth it.

hack the game with some javascript skills

I got Battlefield 3 and PAYDAY the Heist with PSN plus and I kinda quit both, I say "kinda" because PAYDAY doesn't really seem to have an ending, it's like Killing Floor for banks, only not as fun?

Battlefield 3? I found it just so monotonous and boring. The worst is when I realized that it was just like my only COD experience, the game was only "exciting" when game threw disasters at me. In COD, they bloody threw a nuke at me, in Battlefield? An earthquake. After that there was the most boring jet sequence that not even the Afterburner soundtrack could make interesting (I'm not kidding, it's what I turned on the moment I got in the jet) after that it felt ridiculously formulaic and I realized I was forcing myself to play it, so I quit.

I always feels strange for saying I enjoyed "bad" shooters like Kane & Lynch and not enjoying what seems to be the future of all games forever. :|

Fuck Hammerfight. Buggy as hell, the mission I quit on the dudes I was trying to protect kept dying of their own volition (physics bugs, I assume), resulting in my failure. Worse: when they didn't, I couldn't do any damage to the big worm thing I was fighting because I DON'T KNOW WHY??? I was hitting it with my mace. I had one run that was going really well. I wasn't getting hit at all, and I kept hitting the worm, and then all of a sudden the worm crashes in to me and ONLY THEN do I notice that its health bar hasn't diminished at all from my mace. But it did from ramming me! What. The. Fuck.

I think I'm done with Iron Brigade. I'm at the (admittedly tough) hospital level, and even though there are enough things I could do with load-outs to make it through, I've noticed that I'm not so much playing the game out of enjoyment as out of an obligation to make it to the end. I guess this genre is just not for me: waves of enemies, building turrets. I get more of a kick out of either building a full base RTS style, or going into the fight as a single dude against (non-spawning) enemies. The combination doesn't work for me.

And since my Steam list is full of games, I don't feel too bad. I AM hugely enjoying games like Monkey Island 2 and Dust: An Elysian Tale.

I haven't even started Iron Brigade, really. My surprising lack of quitting Guild Wars 2 has eaten into my increasingly limited video game time. Though I just bought Kerbal Space Program(me) so I fully expect to be quitting that in short order.

Though I hope not. I want to see the Mun.

I've also gotten pretty heavy into Guild Wars 2. I'm nearly at level cap so that's a draw. Plus all the new content they keep pushing out is of quality and keeps the game feeling pretty fresh and interesting.

I've also gotten pretty heavy into Guild Wars 2. I'm nearly at level cap so that's a draw. Plus all the new content they keep pushing out is of quality and keeps the game feeling pretty fresh and interesting.

Yup, I'd always been interested in the game and a recent Amazon sale helped me take the plunge. Haven't enjoyed an MMO this much since WOW (years ago). I solo mostly, but GW2 does a great job of making it easy to flit between soloing and grouping.

I think I'm done with Iron Brigade. I'm at the (admittedly tough) hospital level, and even though there are enough things I could do with load-outs to make it through, I've noticed that I'm not so much playing the game out of enjoyment as out of an obligation to make it to the end. I guess this genre is just not for me: waves of enemies, building turrets. I get more of a kick out of either building a full base RTS style, or going into the fight as a single dude against (non-spawning) enemies. The combination doesn't work for me.

And since my Steam list is full of games, I don't feel too bad. I AM hugely enjoying games like Monkey Island 2 and Dust: An Elysian Tale.

Hmm, have you tried the trench with lots of guns and very few turrents? They make it pretty easy to avoid or rely on the turrets, depending on your play style. *shrug* No worries if it isn't for you, but I was really into it back when it was called Trenched.

I think that I have un-quit Gratuitous Space Battles. I popped it open to idle for cards last night and ended up getting two missions farther in and kinda/sorta enjoying myself?

I think the only thing that might entice me to try Iron Brigade again is doing co-op. I was already playing with the maximum gun trench. I can see how this game is really fun though, if it's your thing!

Co-op definitely makes it far more entertaining, but the underlying game is still the same.

I finally tried to play Mass Effect 3 and... I'm not sure I can't be bothered, the combat feels clunky and I've been spoiled most of the game by now and what hasn't seems pretty obvious or it's pretty obvious when the game is trying to pull my emotional strings.

I used to care about Liara, but when I saw her again... I didn't really care. I guess I waited too long to play the game and now it's too late? Should I bother and give it another chance? :|