Tanukitsune

Quitter's Club: Don't be ashamed to quit the game.

I quit games all the time, but recently I stopped playing Fable 3. Because 4-5 hours into the game it still felt like a tutorial.. It was exhausting.

Finishing the game wouldn't make you like it more. The ending really doesn't make much sense and has a pointless decision you can make. Also something happens that is quite unpleasant and forces you to do something really awful.

The ending is lovely, he should finish it :) Also, if he already loved it, he doesn't need anything to make him like it more.

Half Life 1: I quit because Xen really annoyed me. Not because it was difficult, but because it just seemed a bit crap. Like a 90s dream sequence combined with a shit art party.

Far Cry: I'd used up all of my ammo on killing one creature, then thought "maybe you're meant to sneak by them". No, next up, corridor with four creatures in it. Tried playing through those bits for a few hours, still don't know how the fuck anyone was supposed to get past them without cheats.

Far Cry 2: I was playing it on PS3, which is apparently a shit port compared to playing on PC or even 360. It was very beautiful, but crossing the map to mission locations was rendered a dreary trudge by constantly respawning enemies. It crossed the line with a specific mission where I found snipers that could shoot from beyond the draw distance. Still tempted to pick up the PC version, because it was very beautiful and I hear it's quite a good game.

Krater: Turned from beautiful whimsy to formulaic grind within the first third of the game.

I finished it on PS3 and have no quibbles apart from some bugs that forced me to load earlier saves. The respawning thing is the same on every platform. The best way to avoid it is to not backtrack. Actually, I think I encountered those snipers as well, but I was too enamoured with the game to let them bother me too much :P

The first Far Cry I finished by finding a no clip cheat and stabbing everyone through the floor...

These days I'm happy if I have the initiative to start playing games I buy, let alone finish them.

Far Cry 2: I was playing it on PS3, which is apparently a shit port compared to playing on PC or even 360. It was very beautiful, but crossing the map to mission locations was rendered a dreary trudge by constantly respawning enemies. It crossed the line with a specific mission where I found snipers that could shoot from beyond the draw distance. Still tempted to pick up the PC version, because it was very beautiful and I hear it's quite a good game.

I quit playing Far Cry 2 very early on because of the ridiculously short respawn times. I was enjoying the game quite a lot and felt really bad about quitting, but I just couldn't tolerate purging the same enemy camp again literally 5 minutes after the last massacre. I was playing on PC, by the way.

Thanks Nappi, in that case I probably won't bother unless it's on sale for a few pounds or something.

These days I'm happy if I have the initiative to start playing games I buy, let alone finish them.

Very much this! I just took a spin through my games list on Steam for this thread. There were games I've been meaning to buy but didn't realise I already had, and games I've bought but can't remember buying and have no idea what they are. It would probably take several years of abstaining from new games to play all of the games I've never downloaded.

I quit playing Far Cry 2 very early on because of the ridiculously short respawn times. I was enjoying the game quite a lot and felt really bad about quitting, but I just couldn't tolerate purging the same enemy camp again literally 5 minutes after the last massacre. I was playing on PC, by the way.

I found that getting hold of a car with a mounted 50.cal before making any cross-country trip helpful. The big white APC type thing is particularly good. The checkpoints didn't bother me as I enjoyed engaging from long range with the 50.cal and picking them off as they tried to make up the distance (this tactic is made obsolete by enemies with RPGs). The thing that began to wear me down was the random Jeeps that would tear around a corner, crash into my car then unload into my face. They made driving any vehicle without a mounted weapon suicide.

I have a big problem of not finishing games before I purchase a new one. After I've bought a new one, I start playing that one instead of finishing the game I was playing before. I've actually tried to remedy this last couple of months by forcing myself to finish a game before I buy a new one. It have had some effect, I've been able to finish more games this year so far then I've managed to do any of the years before.

A few of the games I own but yet haven't finished: Darksiders, Borderlands, Bayonetta, Tales of Vesperia, FFXIII, Deus Ex : Human Revolution.

I quit CoD 4 for a long time because I was stuck on the last stand portion of All Ghillied Up on Veteran difficulty. I went back and finally finished it and was glad I did.

I have never finished Fallout 3, New Vegas, Skyrim, or Far Cry 2. I wouldn't call those games I QUIT, though (except for New Vegas, where I lost my saves 15 hours in and couldn't make myself restart). I put over 30 hours in all of them, I just failed to reach the last mission that tells you that you've won.

I have yet to finish Darksiders. I stopped, restarted, then stopped again when another game came out. I always intended to finish it. I guess I've straight up quit Bastion. I enjoyed playing it, just didn't have the impetus to continue playing it. I quit at the point right after the demo ended.

If you include "never played as long as I anticipated" into quit, you can add every Total War game. Thankfully I feel like I've gotten my money's worth, because my dad has put a LOT of time into all of them on my steam account.

I have yet to finish Darksiders. I stopped, restarted, then stopped again when another game came out. I always intended to finish it.

I've had exactly the same experience with Darksiders. In general I find this thread very comforting. I'm not the only one who buys games (especially during sales), installs them and then says "Now SIT there!"

I did pick up Dark Souls again a few days ago (on 360) and to my shock and surprise I am playing it again. I hope the same thing happens with Dragon's Dogma, because I was enjoying that too. I was worried this Amazon sale would knock me off track again, but Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning SOUNDS like a game I would go nuts over but the demo was.... blurgh.

I'm pretty sure I could finish Darksiders tonight with time before bed to spare if I just loaded it up and did it. I just... v -_- v

Thanks Nappi, in that case I probably won't bother unless it's on sale for a few pounds or something.

If I remember correctly, I played it on my old laptop. Maybe having more RAM will help, I don't know. The respawn system was very poorly implemented in any case.

I have never finished Fallout 3, New Vegas, Skyrim, or Far Cry 2. I wouldn't call those games I QUIT, though (except for New Vegas, where I lost my saves 15 hours in and couldn't make myself restart). I put over 30 hours in all of them, I just failed to reach the last mission that tells you that you've won.

Ouch, losing saves is possibly the worst thing that can happen to you when playing a game, I'm pretty sure I've quit any game where I've lost my save due to a glitch.

I have no problem quitting a game if it's truly shitty. However I like to think I make informed game purchases, I consume a lot of gaming news, podcasts and discussions so I'm fairly sure about what I'm about to play.

There are a lot of games I only play partway through, then come back to. The Ball is one I've probably actually quit though. The portal levels they added were the best part because they had a really nice pacing compared to what I played in the actual campaign.

i hate to say it but i never finished farcry2...

I also never finished Far Cry 2, but it's fine because I put a tonne of hours into it and really enjoyed it.

The actual story of Far Cry 2, I couldn't give a shit about. I think the characters are forgettable robots, and I have no opinion about the plot cos I can't remember it. I got far enough to unlock the second area and stopped.

BUT- My fun with Far Cry 2 was sneaking around camps, and sniping people from a mile away, and all the amazing open-world possibilities, so I wasn't even paying attention to completing it.

I just have to say, your description of DarkSiders is bewildering to me when you go on to mention that you have familiarity with the Zelda series on the very next line. (Besides, the combat system is more God of War than DMC.)

(Also, i happen to think that Majora's Mask is the best and most interesting game in that entire series, but i won't begrudge you your opinion.)

Yeah everyone says DarkSiders is a Zelda game, and when I first got the boomerang I was like "oh ok, here's where this starts". But I am like a real fucking student of Devil May Cry, and this is beat-for-beat Devil May Cry 3. The whole aesthetic of Angels vs Demons, hell taking over the earth, the enemy types and behaviors, the big glowing eye-wall that blocks you til all the enemies are dead...

aiming and pulling the analogue stick back+X launches an enemy up- holding it down launches you up aswel, pressing X (pause) X gives you a different combo more useful for groups of enemies, the giant fist weapon that you can charge up and has all the same moves, dash+X lunges you forward and launches enemies back...

...you unlock the ability to transform into demon form, he negotiates with a bunch of sly, gross ghouls, I stick around every room to smash all the objects for more money, there's annoying level-puzzles that cripple the pacing- just the whole game. But for as many things as I can list that make it SIMILAR to playing DMC, I can list the reasons it doesn't do those things AS WELL as the Capcom team. They're so close that when I hammer the shoot button to shoot faster, it's disappointing to remember that DarkSiders didn't figure that out. Or how they didn't figure out to make you run faster if you run in the same direction for 3 seconds, or all that stuff that makes those other games so smart.

and I've never played a God of War, so I dunno. Finishing enemies with a giant B button over their head seems like a God of War thing, and I hate that.

and I really did spend like 2 weeks doing the puzzles Majora's Mask was telling me to do, and hitting a brick wall every time cos I was doing stuff meant for later on. I appreciate a lot of stuff it does, but I absolutely HATE the rest of it.

I quit games all the time, but recently I stopped playing Fable 3. Because 4-5 hours into the game it still felt like a tutorial.. It was exhausting.

You didn't miss out on anything. I invested 39 hours into that game to finish it completely and it was everything but a good game.

OH! I quit Final Fantasy 12. Really liked the combat, really liked the bounty hunter system and the character progression board-system, and a tonne of things about it.

Completely was not following the story or characters. I quit after

fighting the same enemies for what felt like about 4 hours.

I should probably mention that a lot of the time when I stop playing a game before I finish it I still feel like I've gotten my money's worth out of it at that point, even if it's still something I intend to still complete in the future. So a lot of the time not finishing a game isn't even a big loss for me.

I rarely quit games deliberately, but I forget about them before finishing all the time.

Games I more or less consciously stopped playing, hmmm...

Majora's Mask I loved but got stuck on (the fish bosh, I've complained about it before),

System Shock 2 because I got too unnerved by the respawns,

Final Fantasy 7 because after 40 hours I realized it wasn't going to suddenly become brilliant after all,

Napoleon: Total War, no more time for it.

I continue to be baffled by the seemingly near universal complaints about respawning enemies in Far Cry 2. Checkpoints would respawn if, and only if you moved far enough away to unload them from memory. The way I played, I never had any reason to double back on a checkpoint immediately after leaving it. I'm genuinely curious here; what was everybody else doing that I wasn't?

Guys, here is what you might have missed at the end of Far Cry 2:

The last couple of missions are actually pretty great, typical go-here-and-explode-that-gas-pipe-and-get-the-hell-out kind of stuff. As you may recall, between the first area and the second* your special buddy dies and you can't do anything about it. You get another buddy (mine was a lady pal) and I believe that one dies as well in the next-to-last mission. Anyway...

The last mission has you enter an area too narrow for a vehicle, and as you do the game pauses and a box pops up, telling you that you are passing the point of no return. If that sounds like it would be totally out of place in a game like Far Cry 2, pinnacle of immersion that it is, just wait! You then spend the next two hours playing a very linear shooter. The areas are wide but there is a very definite path from a to b. I'd compare it to the parts of Crysis after you get out of the alien ship, or a typical level in Halo. That sort of level design can be cool, but not in a game where you spend most most your time driving across savannas, sailing down rivers and tumbling down ravines, all at your own discretion.

You eventually make your way to a little village. The story at this point is centered around something, I don't know, a whole bunch of diamonds, or maybe a briefcase full of documents. Come to think of it, it could have been a briefcase full of fake passports, but I can't say for sure. Anyway, your GPS thing tells you that the briefcase is just sitting there in the middle of the village. When you pick it up, you are ambushed by (you are not going to fucking believe this) your old buddies! That's right, those people who, for no reason at all, decided that they were willing to brave machine guns, forest fires and RPGs to pick your body off the ground and revive you suddenly decided that you had to die!

After an intense gun fight you make your way to the border, where there are a bunch of refugees who are desperately waiting to get out of the country. Then you are faced with a choice: help the refugees or don't. I don't really remember if the "don't" option included you getting a bunch of diamonds or something... in any case I choose to help the refugees (these mythical people of the land of Far Cry 2 who are not constantly trying to kill you at all times). Then I got some ending that was like "you did the right thing, good for you!" or something like that. I wasn't really paying attention, I was so distraught over how my old buddies tried to kill me, not because I felt like I was betrayed by them, but because it made absolutely no sense at all in the context of the game.

So in conclusion, you didn't miss much! It basically had nothing to do with Far Cry 2, the game where you can find this sort of thing just randomly in the environment: http://steamcommunit...ls/?id=14926343

*Please tell me you played until you got to the second world! If you didn't, go back and do that! It rocks so much compared to the first area.

Far Cry 2 ending spoilers

You forgot to mention the best part:

The whole reason you help the refugees is that you run into The Jackal, and he immediately starts telling you what you're going to do to help him save the refugees as if you've been working together for the entire game. You have no choice but to just sit there and accept it, presumably because your character has been stunned into near catatonia by the sheer absurdity of the encounter.

You forgot to mention the best part:

The whole reason you help the refugees is that you run into The Jackal, and he immediately starts telling you what you're going to do to help him save the refugees as if you've been working together for the entire game. You have no choice but to just sit there and accept it, presumably because your character has been stunned into near catatonia by the sheer absurdity of the encounter.

Oh my god I totally forgot that the Jackal was

secret good guy

!