Tanukitsune

Quitter's Club: Don't be ashamed to quit the game.

Are you racially profiling a fictional species?

Every single TES game has a quest in which a Wood Elf is a;

- Cannibal

- Superpowerful asshole

- Murderer

- Cultist murderer

- Mouthpiece for the bad guy

I'm not racially profiling Wood Elves, Todd Howard is.

Some people might be okay with all of these Wood Elves walking around our streets, heck, some might even play as one, but I'll tell you what: it's just not the same Tamriel I grew up in.

Add me to the Half Life quit list - Zen grated my cheese so hard I just could not be bothered with it. That's a pretty rare thing for me though. I frequently drift away from games near the end, but I rarely make a firm choice to quit.

I quit Half-Life at Zen as well, many years ago. And then a couple years ago when playing the game again I had like no problem whatsoever getting through it. I guess whatever tricky bullshit that existed in the stage designs I learned as routine from other games in that long break period.

I think I got stuck just before Zen, I got outside and immediately got gunned down in my first 10 attempts and just turned my pc off.

It wasn't anything to do with difficulty for me. I'd gone from amazing set pieces, tactical movement, being hunted by giant creatures, puzzling my way past things, etc. to… fantasy space rocks and shooting a giant spider in it's solitary testicle. It just seemed a bit crap in the context of everything before it, and made me not care about getting to the end.

My wizard snobbery has made me quit all the RPGs I tried to give another chance. Either the spells felt worthless or simply not worth my time.

I enjoyed Gothic 3 enough to play it the most, but eventually I saw no way of getting to learn magic in sight and with the harsh learning points skill system, I didn't think I could have the patience to wait long enough to find a wizard and then find enough learning points AND money to get a spell. :|

Some games gave me a spell right away, but the spell couldn't even take down the weakest enemy even if used all my MP while fighting.

I played through Half-Life like four times before finishing Zen, and even when i did it, i wasn't sure if i didn't just break the game to do it. The jumping puzzles in those levels are utterly inscrutable, you have fucking absolutely no idea if you're doing what you're supposed to be doing.

My wizard snobbery has made me quit all the RPGs I tried to give another chance. Either the spells felt worthless or simply not worth my time.

I have thief snobbery with RPGs, which is less fun (and less Thumbs appropriate) than wizard snobbery. I may switch my allegiance.

I have actually never played the original Half-Life, though I adore Half-Life 2. I have heard about this Zen character. Tempted to give it a go with Black Mesa.

Yep, I think Black Mesa should be a good excuse to give HL1 another go. I lost interest about halfway in, but it would be nice to fill in the missing bits of story (my brain is unable to absorb the stuff straight out of wikipedia)

Yep, I think Black Mesa should be a good excuse to give HL1 another go. I lost interest about halfway in, but it would be nice to fill in the missing bits of story (my brain is unable to absorb the stuff straight out of wikipedia)

If you're expecting it to tie together with HL2 and suddenly make sense, it won't because it doesn't. The finale to HL1 is deliberately obtuse, and where HL2 picks up has literally nothing to do with where HL1 ended.

I have thief snobbery with RPGs, which is less fun (and less Thumbs appropriate) than wizard snobbery. I may switch my allegiance.

So, you don't like if your thief is just a glorified lockpick or when you can barely using your sneaking skills and things like that?

So, you don't like if your thief is just a glorified lockpick or when you can barely using your sneaking skills and things like that?

I meant more that I pretty much always take the thiefiest option. Thing is, I don't even always play as a thief. I just like characters who can sneak a bit and wear light armour. I also pick speech options in stat boosts a lot. I blame the Quest for Glory games.

I can understand the "thiefy" option, when you start out in most western RPGs you practically have to rob everybody blind just to make ends meet.

I can understand the "thiefy" option, when you start out in most western RPGs you practically have to rob everybody blind just to make ends meet.

Definitely. For me though it started as a way to try and play RPGs like adventure games as much as possible, and just bypass fighting wherever I could, or have a really good bow I could use to take dudes out from afar.

Definitely. For me though it started as a way to try and play RPGs like adventure games as much as possible, and just bypass fighting wherever I could, or have a really good bow I could use to take dudes out from afar.

I had to play Deus Ex Human Revolution as a ghost because I thought the narrative was good enough that I should hold up my end of the bargain. In other words, the idea of this guy wasting hundreds of guards employed by the richest and most scientifically advanced groups in the world made a lot less sense than a cyborg sneaking man. Especially since you could kill twelve men in a room and blow up their gigantic robot, and people on the other side of the door would be oblivious to it.

I know, I played it through trying to get the 'never be seen' and 'set off no alarms' achievement, it was the damn near hardesst thing I've ever had to do in a game. I always found the alarm system consistent, while it didn't spread from area to area or group to group, it did alarm everyone that would realisticly be alerted.

I just played a mix of those too characters, I was a stealthy guy that killed everyone, or rather knocked them out, its a lot easier to be stealthy when there's no one left alive to see you.

I played through stealthily & non-violently. Oh the amount of quick-loading that went on. I'm tempted to go back and kill everyone for the 'kill everyone' achievement, but I agree with FesteDaFool that it fits my interpretation of the narrative better to be a sneaky private dick type character that has his own version of the Hippocratic oath. Except when forced to awkwardly battle during those insufferable boss fights.

Oh screw the boss fights in that game, I got stuck on the first for hours, just look up a gameguide and try and pretend like it never happened once your through it. There are some super simple exploits built into the arenas but, unlike the rest of the games mechanics, they are castrophically unintuitive.

Yeah, I wish I had been smart enough to figure out all the exploits but reading about them later I was like "I NEVER would have figured that out." And I think some of them involved having certain perks unlocked. Like for the Rihanna boss you had to have upgraded your legs to resist electricity and then kept tripping the breakers in the room, but if you didn't have the legs, that clearly wouldn't have worked.