Tanukitsune

Quitter's Club: Don't be ashamed to quit the game.

Alright I've not gone back to Darksiders for like 2 weeks now, I'm just about ready to say I'm done with it.

It's just too many bad puzzles, dungeons, sluggish progression and waves of the same old boring enemy. I got the hookshot, and then fought a boss who's solution was to use the hookshot. It wasn't interesting.

I'm currently playing Darksiders II. The three dungeons I have played so far really make me appreciate the level design of Zelda games. I have taken the flow of those games for granted, but I not realize that it takes true craftsmanship to achieve that kind of quality.

Still, I'm somewhat enjoying Darksiders II, and will continue playing. However, I already have a feeling that I might not actually ever finish the story.

I killed a boss, and then the door to the boss room opened back up. So I backed out of the empty room, worked my way back up through the dungeon, fought all those enemies again (some had upgraded to new enemies) and got right back to the start before realising "Oh there's no entrance"...

So I kinda got lost for about 20 minutes, and then made my way back to the boss room and realised that there was a much smaller door that I was supposed to go through.

Yeah, I wish I had been smart enough to figure out all the exploits but reading about them later I was like "I NEVER would have figured that out." And I think some of them involved having certain perks unlocked. Like for the Rihanna boss you had to have upgraded your legs to resist electricity and then kept tripping the breakers in the room, but if you didn't have the legs, that clearly wouldn't have worked.

I just spammed grenades.

Beat the game on the hardest difficulty with no trouble.

When i personally had such a great experience with that game, it really bummed me out to see so many people get hung up on those shitty bosses.

I got the hookshot, and then fought a boss who's solution was to use the hookshot. It wasn't interesting.

What you cite there, why isn't that a good thing? You get an item, the dungeon teaches you how to use it, and the boss is the final exam. There's something really elegant and wonderful about that simple approach.

Not interesting enough? Perhaps it's just not to your tastes.

When i personally had such a great experience with that game, it really bummed me out to see so many people get hung up on those shitty bosses.

Yeah. I finished it, but had no qualms about going to walkthroughs to find boss exploits. I even reloaded an earlier save to get the electrically resistant legs for that one boss with the breakers. The later fight around all of the human statues almost made me quit. I couldn't get the exploits to work on him, so ended up trying it over and over, shooting at long range and spending a lot of time running away.

Actually, I found that guy the easiest but most likely because there was a pathfinding failure that kept him from coming after me after a certain point. He basically just hung out in a corner trying to shoot me and I'd just pop in and out of cover with that overpowered lazer bazooka and nail him a bunch until he died.

Sno, Deus Ex was one of my favorite games of last year. Playing it was a joy and probably the first time since Metal Gear Solid that I had enjoyed a stealth game so very much. Doesn't change anything about the awful implementation of those boss fights.

Were there any special ways to avoid them, like for example, uttering a special phrase that would cause them to self-destruct? They should have done something like that.

Were there any special ways to avoid them, like for example, uttering a special phrase that would cause them to self-destruct? They should have done something like that.

The thing is, this was only true for one of the bosses in the original Deus Ex.

Other bosses in that game were just as unimaginative and unavoidable as the boss fights in Human Revolution are.

What you cite there, why isn't that a good thing? You get an item, the dungeon teaches you how to use it, and the boss is the final exam. There's something really elegant and wonderful about that simple approach.

Not interesting enough? Perhaps it's just not to your tastes.

Well before I even got to this dungeon, I already GUESSED there'd be a hookshot. So by the time I got it it was just like ticking an item off a shopping list.

I got to the boss, and they had this big intro cinematic and said a load of in-fiction stuff, and the second I got control I used the hookshot.

I later realilsed they had a load of animations and moves to trick me and lure me into using it, but I've played Video games before, so I used it right away and just bypassed that whole arc by accident.

And by the way, the fact that I'm calling it a hookshot when in the game it's called a-- skull... dark or something kind of explains why that dungeon felt extra boring.

I haven't quit Deus Ex, but it's been on long term hiatus since I reached the boss fight where... <realises he doesn't know spoiler policy for the site> ...erm, well, let's just say because of some of the choices I made in the game, one of the boss fights got very hard, and the online guides I read basically said 'If you've done [what I did] good luck!'.

Come to think of it, my pause on FEAR 2 is also because of a boss fight. And my pause on Tomb Raider HD Trilogy.

Hmm. Maybe I don't like boss fights.

ETA - It's the dude in the statue room.

Spoiler policy is basically "use spoiler tags if the game is less than a couple of years old, and at your discretion/request if the game is older than that". It's [ spoiler ] spoiler goes here [ /spoiler ] without the spaces to do that. For example

I'm writing one in here

. See?

Spoiler policy is basically "use spoiler tags if the game is less than a couple of years old, and at your discretion/request if the game is older than that". It's [ spoiler ] spoiler goes here [ /spoiler ] without the spaces to do that. For example

I'm writing one in here

. See?

Many thanks. I'm typically playing games that came out 3 years ago, but I'm still sensitive to not spoiling others experiences if at all possible.

And I'm stuck on the boss fight in the statue room because I took the upgrade that means they get to 'Prime Directive 4' you, basically, and I apparently have the wrong weapons, so yeah - I know I'll be able to beat it eventually but the grind is so tiresome.

I have Max Payne on Gamefly, but it's doesn't have me interested enough to want to spend the necessary hours to beat it. Too many other things to play. I may watch my boyfriend play it if he decides to do so. I never beat Red Dead either. Maybe I just don't like Rockstar games.

Yeah I quit red dead half way through, really should return to it someday as ive heard the ending is good all though I fear I may have spoiled it for myself by reading people comments about the game.

The reason I quit was because at the mid point of thr game you travel across a river to the lower half of the game map, and it felt to me like the game litterally makes you start afresh, nothing caries over,

that world map you've just learnt...start again

All those relationships with npc's you've built... Start again

All those side quests... Start again

I had mixed feelings at that point, partly feeling like all my effort was for nothing and part fatigue looking at the size of the map yet to be uncovered.

I think if I had been slowly drip fed the new areas like how the first half if the game plays out, I would probably have powered through.

It really felt like I had taken out the disc, put in a new one and was now playing the sequel that happened 10 years later and I might as well have been playing as john marston's long lost cousin.

As the law abiding friendly character I chose to play as up until that point didn't exsist in this new world. I'm only the sum of the interactions I've had with the people and places ive been, molding my characters story. Take all that away and I'm nothing, clean slate, might start murdering people out in the desert and i wouldn't really care as I've been emotionally untethered from the world.

Ultimately I felt the character I had built had been taken from me

Screw you rockstar, I want my cowboy back :)

It's probably my weird completist personality

And i'm probably alone when i say this (espically here in the idle thumbs forum) but to much choice in video games freaks me the fuck out

I remember years ago when I played through metal gear solid 3, and there was a forking path through the jungle, I wasted about an hour of my life back tracking in mild emotionally distression exploring both paths wondering if and what I'd missed

As it turned out both paths arrived at the same place and nothing of any interest was to be found

Forking paths are the absolute fucking worst :)

I've also quit both persona 3 and 4 about a third of the way through, as I reach a point in the game where I can't stop thinking about all the things I'm missing, everyday that goes past is a possible missed opportunity to further a social link

God, I should pop a couple of prozac before I consider picking up a joypad :)

The map segments in that game are basically the three acts of the story. You get to go back, and by the end of the game have the entire map available to you.

Yeah I quit red dead half way through, really should return to it someday as ive heard the ending is good all though I fear I may have spoiled it for myself by reading people comments about the game.

Well, he was down and out in Mexico, no? I quite liked that part as well. You should definitely go back though. Mexico is a lot of fun and I personally liked the ending an awful lot.

It's probably my weird completist personality

And i'm probably alone when i say this (espically here in the idle thumbs forum) but to much choice in video games freaks me the fuck out

I remember years ago when I played through metal gear solid 3, and there was a forking path through the jungle, I wasted about an hour of my life back tracking in mild emotionally distression exploring both paths wondering if and what I'd missed

As it turned out both paths arrived at the same place and nothing of any interest was to be found

Forking paths are the absolute fucking worst :)

Oh god, i can actually really relate to Mington's thing here.

An RPG loaded with heavy, impactful choices can sometimes be really paralyzing for me, or if it has a bad character stat scheme that encourages really, really finicky min-maxing. I end up doing a lot of save scumming to feel out options, and the amount of time the game takes me to play can just double, so i end up thinking long and hard before committing time to a game i know is going to be like that.

I mean, and it's not games like Skyrim that bug me, because Skyrim is clearly so completely impossible to be a completist with, and even then, it's so open ended that you can still go back anywhere at any time. It's games with points of no return and finite resources that drive me wacky.

It's just a really obsessive, completist thing for me. (I'm generally not even that much of a completist. I like to kind of hit all the low-hanging fruit, but i'll never go after the really ridiculous objectives.)

Scariest thing for me, playing an RPG, is searching at Gamefaqs for an answer on something i'm stumped with and seeing that i missed something really important five hours earlier and can no longer get at it.

This is why i become a hoarder in RPGs. I'm terrified of destroying what appears to be junk but could end up being the key to the best shit ever.

I was (?) like this as well. Save, look the one way, load, look the other way, load again, first way was better, should have saved that try. And keeping all the shit, later somebody might need 5 pieces of broken furniture.

Now I learned/force myself to roll with my decisions - and look up stuff like 'do I need those 20 trinkets that clutter up my inventory in a later quest?' while playing.