Sombre

Spelunky!

I found one of the most esoteric things in the game the hard way. Unfortunately it was during my daily challenge.

You can't teleport through Kali's altar. Sometimes I say to myself "Who would think to program that in?" I do like how it creates a lore where science and magic interact.

Oooh, but I'm not sure if I need yet another game right now.

I assume it'll probably be on sale for Christmas at some point as well.

As much as I would like to get into Spelunky, I have enough games right now and not much money. I'll probably wait for the next big Steam Sale and see if it goes on sale then.

I'm not very good at it.

Said everyone who has ever played Spelunky.  You're probably still better than me (I'm so bad at the original that Nick's early runs look good compared to mine).

Possibly a silly question - but is there a non-steam, non-drm version of Spelunky I can buy for my personal computer?

I spend most of my time offline so it would be good to not have to rely on Steam's buggy offline mode. I played the original version while it was being developed, but I'd like the new shiny version.

As an aside: someone mentioned on a cast recently that there are few old version of Spelunky kicking about. I believe I have a version 0.99 somewhere - is there any interest putting together a collection of different, older, versions of Spelunky?

I think GOG might sell a DRM-free version that doesn't have the daily challenges.

Oh hell yes. I picked this up yesterday because sale, not expecting to be able to play it for a long time because I'm away from my Windows machine. Today I happened to find a mention of a wrapper to run it in OSX, and it works well and is totally easy!

It's going to be a weird and interesting experience to be actually competing in the daily challenges, instead of just watching attempts from Chris, Nick, Tom Francis, etc. I'm super excited!

Had an amazing run yesterday with a jetpack and Black Knight shield.  Unfortunately the Mario Blocks in the temple will still smash you into the wall.

Had an amazing run yesterday with a jetpack and Black Knight shield.  Unfortunately the Mario Blocks in the temple will still smash you into the wall.

Mine was with jetpack and shotgun, but the exact same story.

I basically buy every bomb I can get my hands on and destroy every one of those blocks asap. I can't deal with the potential randomness of that particular enemy, because all it takes is a bad fall, getting juggled by an enemy, getting thrown, timing a jump incorrectly, falling too slow, jumping too high, or whatever to get totally annihilated by one of those damned blocks.

JonCole's strategy is on point. The temple blocks always feels like playing Russian roulette.

Hmm, I find myself grabbing onto ledges when I don't want to a lot. The ghost got me yesterday because I was handing on a ledge and I thought I was sitting on the block below. I tried to run away, but he wouldn't let go and I paniced.

Ledges are my worst enemy in the game (okay besides spikes). Any game where I accidentally pick up the climbing gloves inevitably ends in frustration.

It took a long time for me and climbing gloves to get along. The main thing is to be even more careful than your already cautious self when approaching tiki traps.

I don't even know what tikitraps are :/

That moment when you find out = priceless.

That moment when you've been to jungle 100 times and you're still "finding out"

After a week of compulsively playing for a few hours every day, I finally beat Olmec today! I was playing it pretty safe, really only trying to

bring the Mines key to the end of the Caves to unlock the Temple shortcut.

Somehow, after doing that the Temple was easy; Anubis was in the very first room, but I had huge numbers of sticky bombs to take him out. The compass was handier than I expected, since I was able to basically just bomb my way straight down to the exit.

It feels good to have made definite progress. Getting this far took me 177 attempts; I wonder how many more it'll take to reach Hell?

So I had my most epic Lord moment thanks to Spelunky two nights ago.   

Both my wife and I are obsessed with it.  We do some co-op, then both work on unlocking stuff in SP, alternating between playing.  Finally, after who knows how many attempts, my wife finished unlocking the shortcut to the Ice levels two nights ago.   It took dozens of attempts by both of us before she was able to deliver the third item.  We had assumed the same would be true for unlocking the Temple. Getting the ropes and bombs delivered for the Temple unlock was easy enough, but we assumed it would take several dozen more attempts to deliver the third item for it.

Then I turned around and actually pulled it off on the very first attempt! 

The jungle is my nemesis, and I had figured that carrying the key through it would be a nightmare. But nope, I ended up with over a dozen bombs, the cape and the compass by the time the mines were done. I bombed my way through the jungle, floated my way through the ice levels, and then almost bit it mere moments before the door. There were 3 flying saucers in the area which almost sent me flying to my death with a well placed green laser shot. I barely landed, stunned, on the edge of a block above oblivion. Recovered as another green blob was coming in, and made an epic jump to the door to get to the shortcut guy with the key in hand.

I don't think a game has made me that sweaty palmed since back in the NES days of trying to get through a platformer with just 3 lives.

That is fantastic Bjorn. Delivering the third item feels like beating the game.  

After a week of compulsively playing for a few hours every day, I finally beat Olmec today! I was playing it pretty safe, really only trying to

bring the Mines key to the end of the Caves to unlock the Temple shortcut.

Somehow, after doing that the Temple was easy; Anubis was in the very first room, but I had huge numbers of sticky bombs to take him out. The compass was handier than I expected, since I was able to basically just bomb my way straight down to the exit.

It feels good to have made definite progress. Getting this far took me 177 attempts; I wonder how many more it'll take to reach Hell?

Man, I'm at nearly 300 deaths and I've seen the temple maybe twice. Once I get into a groove I just get way too careless.