Sombre

Spelunky!

4 hours ago, SecretAsianMan said:

SPELUNKY 2!

Hell yes! I wonder if there will somehow still be bees...

Will be fascinating to see what the movement/game feel is like. Will folks that have put a ton of time into the first feel right at home or will they be changed due to the setting? (Though the "looking to the skies" dialogue and title card certainly seem to suggest it's taking place on the moon maybe it's just going to have a more lunar and/or sci-fi aesthetic. Ice caves already have a lot of that going on with the aliens, UFOs, Mothership, etc. Ice caves are so damn good aesthetically and sonically that if the whole game is going more in that direction that would likely be rad.)

Also since Derek Yu and Andy Hull were clearly tuned into the strategies that players developed, the speedrunning community, stuff like the eggplant run, etc., you gotta heavily assume this game will have even more nested secrets than the first and additional items to further supplement the already existing repertoire. People are gonna have a field day once this releases trying to discover all the nested secrets/areas and figuring out how to best use any new items, etc. Should be a god damn good ass time.

I'm really excited for UFO 50. I love that it's inspired by the premise of share ware compilation disks. I lived off of those in the 90s. And I fully anticipate UFO 50 to have a strange narrative embedded in the secrets across all the games and some sort of meta-game. Miss managed expectations? Or is it realistic based on Spelunky's plethora of secrets?

I'm definitely in the right place for this discussion.

I'm excited by the premise of Spelunky 2 but I never got far in the other two to be fully into it. That game was brutal. Great music, love that music.

I played the hell out of Spelunky but watching various people do the daily challenge spoiled most of the secrets/easter eggs for me before I got around to playing it myself (though to be fair watching people is probably the only reason I started playing it in the first place). Should be fun to go into a new one blind and discover some of it for myself.

17 minutes ago, Professor Video Games said:

I played the hell out of Spelunky but watching various people do the daily challenge spoiled most of the secrets/easter eggs for me before I got around to playing it myself (though to be fair watching people is probably the only reason I started playing it in the first place). Should be fun to go into a new one blind and discover some of it for myself.

This accurately describes me as well but the core gameplay of Spelunky was so satisfying that even without the discovery aspect I still loved playing it over and over and over and over and over and over...

I got so obsessed with Spelunky - both SD and HD versions. I'm guessing this PS4 exclusivity thing is timed, so I really hope to see it also on Xbox One and Switch.

Spelunky 2 is fantastic news because at least to me it feels like despite its fame and reputation there really has not been true spiritual successors to the Great Game (there's plenty of action platformer roguelikes now but they feel more like distant relatives). Here's a new blog post by Yu.

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2017/10/30/spelunky-2-is-real-and-its-coming-soon-to-ps4/

"... we began working on Spelunky 2 and have been at it for a couple of years now. " !!!

The blog post makes me a tiny bit sad - as someone who played the original Spelunky on the original PC platform, I'd be very disappointed if I never got to play Spelunky 2 because it never comes here. (Also, surely PS Vita is a more natural target than PS4?)

I wonder if the parent hood refers to a Infinity Blade / Rogue Legacy style iheritance reproduction path. To keep it in the style of Spelunky. Perhaps an interesting take on the "bones / graves" of rogue-liking. Where you can "rescue" old playthroughs that get died in the game. This would require some sort of randomly rolled stats of characters, or character progression, for the characters which is antithetical to the original rogue-like / Spelunky premise, though. Perhaps just saving their inventory load out? Or that they become damsels that will give you an option of health or item upon completing the level. Ah, to speculate wildly

Ahhh Spelunky 2 is such awesome news. Switch is for sure after six months or so from the initial release.

I watched the reveal trailer on YouTube and one of the first comments is "no gameplay footage? are you fucking kidding?" imagine being that miserable. 

This is of course brilliant news as SPELUNKY is the best game. What's it going to be like!? I just hope it has Coop still and that scoring big doesn't take all fuckin day. 

Edit: and speaking of coop, me and my bro play coop a lot and he's made a video of clips of us fuckin up to celebrate spelunky 2

On 11/3/2017 at 4:42 AM, Woodfella said:

I watched the reveal trailer on YouTube and one of the first comments is "no gameplay footage? are you fucking kidding?" imagine being that miserable. 

This is of course brilliant news as SPELUNKY is the best game. What's it going to be like!? I just hope it has Coop still and that scoring big doesn't take all fuckin day. 

Edit: and speaking of coop, me and my bro play coop a lot and he's made a video of clips of us fuckin up to celebrate spelunky 2

This is great!  So many great close call moments and of course rapidly accelerating chaotic ones too

Thanks. At this point I'd like to say that everytime something comes out of nowhere and kills someone that's me getting nailed. Almost always.