Sombre

Spelunky!

Bananasaurus Rex kills the ghost in this. It takes a long time and is a little anticlimactic; I'd advise watching the setup then skipping to 12:50

Hmm, so I guess the either the lava or the jumping fireballs must hurt the ghost just a little?

A bunch of different sources state the ghost has 9999 hitpoints, and entering lava takes away 99 of them. While looking that up just now, I found that UFO shots do 1 damage to it also ¬¬

Been practicing my speed runs trying to get all of the achievements.  I thought beating hell was hard but now I realize it was child's play.  I've spend hours grinding and many close calls but still my best time was 9 something minutes.

I found a thing! It looks like a construction sign... or maybe a wet floor sign? It showed up in the black market on my first run immediately after beating Hell in the daily challenge.

It was hidden behind a wall in the black market, but couldn't blow it up or climb into it. It's probably glitched-in placeholder art... or maybe a secret clue? After all, people didn't know about the eggplant thing until last month.

2013-12-11_00001_zpsf1cfeb9a.jpg

I want to believe!

Man, that killing the Ghost thing is great. I love that the game has such obscure ways for players to challenge themselves.

Now someone needs to see if it works in Spelunky Classic. :tup:

Completed my speed run.  Never want to do that again.

Anyway, in other news, has anybody experienced physics-defying water?

7ka24N0.jpg

Rock, Paper, Shotgun wrote some retrospective thoughts on Spelunky that I enjoyed reading:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/12/17/the-amazing-astonishing-rps-advent-calendar-day-17/#more-178076

Here's an excerpt:

Harbouring as I am aspirations to be a game designer myself, Spelunky is perhaps the worst game I should be playing, for it leaves me wracked with doubt, even panic, that I could ever plan so well, devise and implement so many inter-related systems, have such a raft of consequences and side-effects, have second-guessed so many player decisions, construct a design that creates such order from such chaos, make an infinite adventure simulator that doesn’t fall prey to either tedium or impassible sadism. Neat, careful, layered, endless: Spelunky is the smartest guy in the room this year. I admire it enormously.

Also worth bearing in mind even when you get good at the game you will be riding waves with peaks of excellent performance and dipping into sucking hard.

I bought this game for my brother (age 27), along with a 360 controller, for Christmas. He had never heard of the game, and so initially he kind of rolled his eyes, and said: "oh, a cute little Indiana Jones game." My uncle, looking over his shoulder, replied: "Super Mario Bros...in a gold mine." For the rest of the evening, I got to hear my brother slowly discover aspects of the game ("What, where did that arrow come from?") ("Why is there a ghost?") ("Why did the guy in the shop kill me?"). My uncle cautioned my brother, while carrying a damsel, to "watch out for the spikes" right before he impaled himself and her to end his run. "Watch out," he said, "you're jumping for two."

Actually, it's UTC, but that doesn't make much of a difference.

...well then. All I can say is I'm glad I didn't record that, and that there is no evidence it happened.

Not proud of dying in 16 seconds with a score of 0.

...well then. All I can say is I'm glad I didn't record that, and that there is no evidence it happened.

Not proud of dying in 16 seconds with a score of 0.

Those are the best ones to record!

So, I finally got this here game. Any tips from the Spelunky Lords?

If you're jumping toward something to get it with the whip, hit the whip button around the same time as you jump, maybe a second after. The hitbox and animation on it are one of the hardest things to get used to.

So, I finally got this here game. Any tips from the Spelunky Lords?

I used to run with this dude all the time, because he has the most contented look on his face. It's like no matter how badly you screw up, he's having a good time. He doesn't judge you for being imperfect.

XBLA_C16.png

But then I unlocked this character, and she's just awesome, so she's my main now.

XBLA_C14.png