Sombre

Spelunky!

Incredibly irritated with the parachute right now.  This was going to be my first Hell run.  Instead when I tried to jump on Olmec's head my parachute deployed and I missed it by a second.

KMXfSXY.jpg

If your parachute goes off and you didn't want it to, just grab onto the closest wall (granted you have climbing gloves) and the parachute will drop.

Also, the safer way to do that is ride Olmec down so you have the largest window to walk through the entryway.

I think I was caught up in the jubilation of completing all of the tasks I wasn't thinking clearly.  I grabbed a wall just probably too late.  I'll get it eventually.  Some days it feels like throwing myself against a wall repeatedly.

Bananasaurus Rex kills the ghost in this. It takes a long time and is a little anticlimactic; I'd advise watching the setup then skipping to 12:50

Ahh... finally breached hell for the first time.  Feels good.

Congrats! I've not gotten there myself yet, but I did beat Olmec for the very first time today, and in the daily to boot! Video uploading now :) My mood: transcendent joy

I'm pimping it again, as I have no shame, no shame in my game

I've been playing Spelunky for a good few months, I've only managed to get to Olmec once, where I was very quickly crushed. 

It's such a great game, it has a great mix of randomness and unpredictability with really tight controls. When I die it feels like my fault every time, which does nothing to stop it eliciting a loud "Fuuuckkk" almost every time. 

I've got to wonder why anyone would go to the worm level though. It's really long, quite deadly, and the only reward from it is a slightly better replacement to the whip. 

I've got to wonder why anyone would go to the worm level though. It's really long, quite deadly, and the only reward from it is a slightly better replacement to the whip. 

The journey is its own reward and mastery is the greatest treasure of them all. The gold is pretty nice too.

Today's daily challenge was super bomb rich and I finally beat Yama. I'm glad since I haven't been able to play every day and was afraid my skills would be too rusty to ever beat him. It was a lot easier this time than my previous runs because of all the resources, I was able to get Vlad's Amulet and mostly bomb around the hard parts of the hell levels. Now I have to fill out my journal (argh, I forgot to pick up Vlad's cape) and see if I can beat hell with a more fair seed.

Bought Spelunky today so I can finally play this (I played the free version a bit but not a ton). I'm uh, definitely terrible. I played like 14 rounds or something then had a go at the daily challenge. It went... well... I'll just let you watch:

Bought Spelunky today so I can finally play this (I played the free version a bit but not a ton). I'm uh, definitely terrible. I played like 14 rounds or something then had a go at the daily challenge. It went... well... I'll just let you watch:

Right there with you bud. It's a testament to this game that I still enjoy it even as other Thumbs are posting videos of defeating Olmec and generally being fantastic. I'm all about celebrating visits to the ice level.

I've been playing Spelunky for a good few months, I've only managed to get to Olmec once, where I was very quickly crushed. 

It's such a great game, it has a great mix of randomness and unpredictability with really tight controls. When I die it feels like my fault every time, which does nothing to stop it eliciting a loud "Fuuuckkk" almost every time. 

Crysknife is fantastic if you already have the Kapala, makes enemies you kill release a lot of blood.

I bought this game today (midway through today!) and I already have 2.3 hours sunk into this thing. SPELUNKY HAS ITS TENDRILS IN ME. I've discovered it works really well if you play music from the Indiana Jones soundtracks.

It took me 23 hours to beat Olmec for the first time, so don't feel bad if you're struggling at first. Spelunky can be quite a difficult game, although luck does play a large part. One thing I will say is not to be too tempted to watch lots of Let's Plays. I did, for tips, but it has meant that the thrill of discovery has been dampened somewhat.

Bought this game yesterday, tried it today. I'm pleased at how familiar the gameplay felt compared to the free version. I've played a whole ton of it and I could pretty much just jump right into this and play by muscle memory.

I played through the mandatory tutorial and then for some reason went right into the daily challenge. I think I was doing pretty well, but I was being too slow. The damned ghost showed up and I royally panicked. RIP my first character.

One thing I think I'm going to have a hard time un-learning from the free version is that I can't change the attack direction mid-air while attacking (or even on the ground?). Took some unnecessary damage and even died once to a bat because of that. But that is the only thing I've encountered so far that doesn't translate directly from the free version.

I feel I'm going to spend a lot of hours on this.

The following day...

Made it all the way to the jungle today. I played so many games after the daily challenge that I don't even remember what killed me. Maybe it was spikes.

I also got to the ice caves and lasted a total of maybe 10 seconds. I threw a boomerang at a flying saucer. I knew it was going to explode, but I expected it to fall straight down. I was thoroughly surprised (and very very dead) when it didn't.

I have developed a very weird habit of picking up things in the shop when I mean to buy them. This is a new entry in my own personal catalogue of stupid deaths.

I have developed a very weird habit of picking up things in the shop when I mean to buy them. This is a new entry in my own personal catalogue of stupid deaths.

That's the worst.

Crysknife is fantastic if you already have the Kapala, makes enemies you kill release a lot of blood.

You can also kill Yama in a hit.

Okay, so 621 games in, 66 hours of playing I finally beat Spelunky the hard way.

*mic drop*

Happened to me at the end of

run. Pick up the glove, make to leave the shop, realise my mistake, hurl it back at the shoppie, die.

Happened to me at the end of

run. Pick up the glove, make to leave the shop, realise my mistake, hurl it back at the shoppie, die.

It's so much sadder that you had a jetpack.

Hahaha! I do like the combo of climbing glove and jetpack, but yeah, I probably could've gotten along without it just fine. Another day, another daft mistake, eh? :)