toblix

Red Dead Redemption

In a completely lazy move, I just want to ask... should I buy this? I'm really not a huge Rockstar guy; I played through GTA4 for like... 5 hours and gave up on it, since then I've only played for Grand Thumbs. The talk I've heard about it has been fairly positive, and if the Thumbs community is going to be collectively playing this that seems reason enough to check it out.

Also, if I should get it, what console are you guys going to be playing on?

I'm not buying it at launch, it's far too close to my exams to bother.I believe we came to a consensus that 360 is better for Multiplayer.

I'm not buying it at launch, it's far too close to my exams to bother.I believe we came to a consensus that 360 is better for Multiplayer.

Alright, done. And for those of you shopping for it... Amazon's giving out $20 gift cards with preorder and Buy.com has it for $46.

I'm really not a GTA fan either, but I'm really looking forward to this game.

For me it's the huge open world to explore, the western setting, and all the non-story things to do. The bounty and fame mechanics sound awesome too.

I already asked myself this:

I'm already curious if there will be another outrage about a rockstar game. This time because you're able to mass murder horses.

More evidence for sickening cruelty to horses.

I already asked myself this:

More evidence for sickening cruelty to horses.

Im sure they figured this out already, but I'm really curious. In gta I can drive a car off pretty much anything... but a horse tends to stop if I try to ride it off a cliff.

I can't wait to find out.

Can you give a horse money for sex then afterwards kill the horse and get your money back?

(-IGN.com)

Can you give a whorse money for sex then afterwards kill the whorse and get your money back?

(-IGN.com)

Spellchecked.

So this game...

I haven't tried the multiplayer yet, but the single player is pretty awesome.

I never got into GTA4 and got bored with it after putting in less than 10 hours, but RDD I really like so far and I've already put in 3 hours in just the first night of having it.

Is it out everywhere already? I'm so busy at work and playing mount&blade that I forgot the exact date but I plan to get it as soon as possible. Probably will play through the single player first though.

So this game...

I haven't tried the multiplayer yet, but the single player is pretty awesome.

I never got into GTA4 and got bored with it after putting in less than 10 hours, but RDD I really like so far and I've already put in 3 hours in just the first night of having it.

I put a few hours into it last night as well.

Had a bunch of fun (except when i got sucked into an hour of poker) and am very impressed with the amount of wildlife and getting-shot animations.

I played for couple hours yesterday and so far it's been a total blast.

My best moment so far was finding the first treasure map. I figured it would just be a waypoint to a location but instead it was indeed a "treasure map". Selecting the treasure map from the inventory shows you a hand-drawn picture of a tree and some rocks amidst which "X" marks the spot. At first I thought this would be impossible to find, but 20 mins later I came across an odd tree that sorta looke like the one on the map. After carefully orienting myself according to the map, I did find the buried treasure. Now if only I could figure out where this next map points to.

Also, I watched a silent film for $2. That was interesting to say the least.

The silent movie I saw was AMAZING, and the mumblypeg and hold'em poker minigames are pretty well done!

Holding off on more massive single player impressions until I'm a bit farther in, but so far it's more entertaining than GTA4 for me as well. The threat of narrative dissonance is still present, but I'm not feeling it acutely in Redemption yet.

Felt the need to post about the multiplayer though- If anyone's still only thinking about picking this up and the single player GTA-like structure isn't really your thing, (i.e. you've got friends peer pressuring you about the multiplayer) give it at least a couple of weeks...

The online is really, really broken right now. Player models sporadically not rendering, rampant disconnects, etc. It's fun when it's working but as it stands you'll spend most of the night in the console-level menus sending invites and trying to force it to work.There is a SPECIFIC friend on Live that I can't play with. I have no idea how a bug could be that specific, even from my QA standpoint. A bunch of friends can be in a posse, and if either of us joins the game, the system kicks the other out. Only happens between these two specific Live accounts, God knows why.

A great game so far, been playing a bunch.

A few minor gripes:

It's almost impossible to get through small doors or use goofy ramps. The worst of both comes with the chicken coops.

Multiplayer freeroam could do with some more gang hideouts. They're a lot of fun but you can get through all of them fairly quickly, and there isn't a whole lot else to do after them.

The voice acting sounds kinda bad to me outside of the cutscenes, especially the horseback rides with Bonnie.

For the treasure maps, make sure you read everything that's on them, the first two have stuff written on them that's as much as a clue as the 'maps'.

that silent film was great! I'm not 100% sure if i like the standard Rockstar lewd humor that saturated the GTA3 series but in the context of the movie I thought it was really amusing.

I had a similar experience with the treasure map. I thought it was a waypoint thing at first where from the tree you could see the next rock formation so it took me a few minutes to get that it was

a closer inspection

but that just made me more impressed that the map itself was that rough and more like a puzzle than your typical follow-the-dot mission.

the randomness of the the bounties kind of bummed me out. i would've liked if they were hard-coded but more difficult and multi-step following clues and tracking trails and whatnot but oh well. My tiny exposure to the Strangers' missions makes me think I may get a little bit of that there.

the thunderstorm was also pretty awesome. I appreciate that the weather doesn't change every 30 seconds.

I tried multiplayer but couldn't connect. hopefully things will even out in a bit.

As is normal for that engine, the onset of the weather change is MUCH too fast, but once it gets rolling it's one of the better and more convincing storm effects I've experienced in a game. Bravo!

the thunderstorm was also pretty awesome. I appreciate that the weather doesn't change every 30 seconds..

Mine didn't change for like 3 in-game days. It was refreshing booting up today and not have it thunderstorming for once. It made it kind of hard to see stuff (especially dead animals to skin) out in the field, so I just went into town and played poker. And the fact that I did that because of the weather is kind of awesome.

This game is so fucking good. It's basically taking a lot of the mechanics of GTA4 and putting them into a world and atmosphere that I actually give a shit about. I haven't had this "can't put the controller down" syndrome in a little while and it feels so good.

I'm glad someone mentioned the multiplayer issues. I haven't had any connectivity problems, but I did ride around on an invisible horse for about 15 minutes last night. Oh, and I shot an invisible gun as well. Needless to say, it was disorienting and kind of killed the experience.

So far my favorite in-game moment was just after I got to Armadillo or whatever and was just getting used to the controls. I heard a woman screaming for helping, saw a man beating her senseless, and couldn't figure out how to punch him out or shoot him in the heat of the moment. By the time I figured it out, she was dead and bloodied on the ground and he had run off into the field. The amazing part was chasing him down on foot and shooting him in the back. For some reason I lost honor for that, but it felt kind of good. Most of all, it felt like the Wild West.

The amazing part was chasing him down on foot and shooting him in the back. For some reason I lost honor for that.

That's probably because you shot a man in the back, like a coward.

So I decided to be lazy on tuesday and hit up the game store near my apartment then go downtown... well preorder shenagians, so screw that downtown it is... oh wait sold out for ps3... everywhere.

They said they will probably get some in today, oh man I can't wait for the weekend!