toblix

Red Dead Redemption

Coming out in April on Xbox 360 and PS3. The trailer looks magnificent. It's pretty obviously using the RAGE engine, which should make for some fantastic sequences of people falling of rooftops and horses. I wonder if the horses will have the Euphoria stuff and fall over realistically. That would be awesome.

Also, maybe they'll have multiplayer with ice-cream wagons and horseback gunfights.

Got to see this during my stay at Rockstar and, yeah, it's basically grand theft horsey, but that's alright with me. It was a bit rough at the time, but had a lot of nice details and really cool features; basically the western game I've been waiting for.

They were using a lot of the Leone stuff as reference which is a good sign too and that theme is obviously present in the trailers.

A little dissapointed they changed the main characters appearence from when it was announced; he was a lot more Bronsonesq before and now just young google looking d-bag.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure the horses were euphoria as I remember commenting how awesome it will be to drive that thing into a crowd of people and into the side of a building; though it could have been me lamenting that it wouldn't work that way.

Edited by Murdoc

I rarely get excited about games any more, but I'm piss-my-pants excited about this one.

Edited by gdf

Jesus, if this game has multiplayer we'll need at least one GTA: Old West session to give it a spin. That would be amazing. I'm thinking Train Robbery mode, with a group of players on horseback trying to jack a train away from a group defending the train.

So We're finally getting Grand Theft Horse? If so, that's really cool. How was the previous Read Dead R* game?

So We're finally getting Grand Theft Horse? If so, that's really cool. How was the previous Read Dead R* game?

It didn't get a whole lot of love, mainly because of the old-school level design I think. I enjoyed it though - it had a nice bullet-time gun duel mechanic (fun in multiplayer) and had pretty above-par writing and voice acting.

Definitely looking forward to this.

Always interested in a good wild west game, especially if it´s getting the GTA love treatment.

Been keeping my eyes on this. Looks promising. My only concern is that it's being developed by the same team who created the steaming pile of turd that is Midnight Club: Los Angeles (yes, I hate that game so much).

Been keeping my eyes on this. Looks promising. My only concern is that it's being developed by the same team who created the steaming pile of turd that is Midnight Club: Los Angeles (yes, I hate that game so much).

Huh, I heard that game was excellent.

I really hope this proves to be the game I have been waiting for since Desperados. Looks pretty great so far.

Huh, I heard that game was excellent.

From who? I can't imagine anyone enjoying Midnight Club: LA.

When a game is so badly balanced that the makers are forced to issue a patch to make it playable, then you can be certain of two things: One, the game was not properly tested before release and secondly, that you can't trust any reviews that claimed the game was "great fun".

It has, without doubt, the worst example of rubber banding I've ever seen in a racing game. Whether you win a race or not is can be entirely down to the last 10 seconds, no matter how perfectly you've driven through the rest of the race... and this is after the game-balancing patch has been applied.

And, on some "special" occasions, you apparently can't win, no matter what...

For example:

You're neck and neck for first place, both going full pelt on the final straight. It's a clear road, you smile inwardly, "it's in the bag". You reach for the nitros boost you've been saving the whole race for such an occasion. "So long, sucker!" Blam! Fire shoots out of your exhaust and you're suddenly propelled at speeds faster than any man should travel... But something is wrong. You look out your side window and see your opponent is keeping pace with you, no, scratch that... he's over-taking you. WITHOUT THE USE OF NITROS.

As your opponent squeaks across the finish line, just ahead of you, your controller finds itself hurtling towards the other side of the room, and you swear to yourself that you'll never play such a shit game again.

Edited by ThunderPeel2001

You're neck and neck for first place, both going full pelt on the final straight. It's a clear road, you smile inwardly, "it's in the bag". You reach for the nitros boost you've been saving the whole race for such an occasion. "So long, sucker!" Blam! Fire shoots out of your exhaust and you're suddenly propelled at speeds faster than any man should travel... But something is wrong. You look out your side window and see your opponent is keeping pace with you, no, scratch that... he's over-taking you. WITHOUT THE USE OF NITROS.

WHAT? Is that like a scripted lose situation? Yay for narrative in racing games!

Red Dead Redemption looks to be good, though full of that Rockstar 'tude stuff. One facial scar? Okay, fine. Three? Dudes, okay. He's rough-and-tough. I get it.

I'm eager to see the game itself. As far as setting, tone, audio/visual production, it all looks good—but so did Gun.

I bet you anything that the triple scar was made by an eagle. Or maybe a bear.

Or maybe it was a bear armed with a hayfork, which bore an eagle on its shoulder. And was a Methodist minister.

I bet you anything that the triple scar was made by an eagle. Or maybe a bear.

I'm thinking: dinosaur.